Big Daddy on E9-4 = new favorite rocket!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Actually - it's my wife's new favorite rocket (I have about twenty favorites). I ordered some E's from Tower Hobbies (along with a bunch of other stuff), and in the meantime I built this one and a super Big Bertha and modified them so they would take the longer motors. I had only gone as high as D's before, and I was not disappointed when we finally took them up the other day.
I know you've all seen Big Daddys before - but I'm posting a pic anyway... Bwaaahhhhaaahhhhaaa!

Stephen

You can't stop me... I'm craaazy!

Ahem.

One more.

Bushrat,

That is an incredible launch pic of the Big Daddy!! You caught the launch perfectly! The circle of smoke and engine flame are very cool. Thanks for posting it!

Have you flown the SuperB yet?

I just flew my Super Bertha on an E9-4 today, awesome flight!
Perfect motor for this bird. I always heard the E9 has low initial thrust, but worked perfect with standard 3/16 inch Estes launch rod. Flew nearly out of sight, very impressive for this size rocket.

I just built another maxi-alpha 3 modified for E engines for my first mid-powered rocket. I built it using only 1 of the body tubes provided cause I just think it looks a lot cooler this way. Anyway the rocket looks very close to the size of a big daddy and I was wondering did you have to add any nose weight? if so, how much?

We've got several flights on our big daddy with the E9's and i hear ya, I love the combination.

Bout the only reason i'll buy the E9's now...

Gonna try it this season with an F21 though we'll see how that goes...

Any other mods besides the motor mount...? With the E9's i didn't have to add any noseweight or do anything else different...

rkt2k1 - Thanks! I'm finally getting the hang of that digital camera delay.

pdooley - Yup, we flew them both. One thing I found out is how much this bird weathercocks. From now on - I'll launch it pretty much straight up. Great flight, though!

Rob Fisher - No nose weight, and I love the way this thing flies. By the way - The Maxi-Alpha is OOP, right? Did you get yours from Ebay? I've wanted one of those for a while. What a neat platform for E engines...

Stephen

firemanup - No nose weights worked great for me, too. To be honest - I didn't even think of it until after launching. As far as other mods, besides moving the engine block, I added a webbing of balsa between the mmt tube and the inside of the bt. I wish I could remember who I got the idea from. Probably not needed, but who knows.
Let us know how it goes with that F21!

Stephen

Yeah, thats an interesting story. I bought a maxi alpha 3 back in 2001 from discount hobby supplies(i think) and the body tubes both came creased in bad shape.Since the package was already packaged in a box, it wasn't the shippers fault.I E-mailed them about the problem and asked them if they would send me new body tubes. They ended up sending me an entirely new maxi alpha 3, which has been sitting in the package since 2001 until yesterday! I built the first one in 2001 for D engines (with only one of the body tubes too) and was never quite impressed enough with its flight on a D-12 3. I recently got the idea to launch it on an E engine, but when I saw how far the E stuck out of the D motor mount I didn't think it would be a good idea to launch it like this! So here I am with an un-opened Maxi Alpha 3 just waiting to be built with an E engine mount! Built it in less than an hour and waiting for primer.It's such an easy build with the plastic fin unit. This is one of 6 rockets I am currently working on at once-man! that ain't right.

forgot to say that I just went ahead and built the first alpha using the tube that was the least damaged. IMHO the Maxi Alpha 3 looks more like its baby brother the alpha with only one of the body tubes. I think it looks too tall with both tubes.

Whats the secret to getting such a cool launch picture? Do you simply snap the pic as soon as someone hits the launch button? it all happens so fast! That pic of your big daddy is awesome!!!!!!

Steven,

She looks real happy holding that bird!!! :) Good job on the build/finish and absolutely great launch photos man! Well done.

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
Steven,

She looks real happy holding that bird!!! :) Good job on the build/finish and absolutely great launch photos man! Well done.

Carl

Thank you - Katie is one of those kids who are perpetually happy. As far as the launch photos, I'm using a fairly average digital camera (HP PHotosmart 315) and I hold the shutter about halfway down until the green light comes on (this eliminates the delay), then snap the shot just after I begin to hear the engine fire. Depending on the speed of the rocket off the pad, the rocket could be lower to the ground or out of frame when it's snapped. I have this problem with my Mini Bertha. It takes off so fast - I have yet to get even a blurry launch pic with more than just a smoke trail.

Stephen

(edited cuz I can't spell)

Bushrat-

The Big Daddy flies great on F21's. You need to add about an ounce on nose weight. Flew mine at Plaster Blaster this year on a F21 near dusk and nearly lost the silly thing. Luckily I'd upgraded the chute to a bright yellow/green ripstop one so one of my friends was able to keep the track even after I'd lost it.

Bushrat...I have the HP 618 and get bunches of good pics from it. It's a simple, solid little camera that works well...something about the HP's...they just work well.

Carl

Kodak easyshare 6490 here.. new to us but i'm just itchin to try out the burst mode for liftoff pics..

Like it.. after it's focused ya press the button the rest of the way and it takes the picture instantly.. that plus a 6 shot burst i'm hoping i'll finally be able to get some liftoff pics this year...

I may be late responding, I saw these launch photos earlier in the day. These are the best launch photos I have seen. They should be on the front of an Estes catalog. The Super Big Bertha is one of my favorites and mine is too E-capable. The shot would have looked GREAT on the box that the SBB kit came in!!! I only hope I can get my digital camera shots to come out this good. Excellent work and thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by billEblurzz
I may be late responding, I saw these launch photos earlier in the day. These are the best launch photos I have seen. They should be on the front of an Estes catalog. The Super Big Bertha is one of my favorites and mine is too E-capable. The shot would have looked GREAT on the box that the SBB kit came in!!! I only hope I can get my digital camera shots to come out this good. Excellent work and thanks for the advice!

You are too nice!:eek: Thank you for the kind words.

About the SBB - Lately I've been seeing them on Ebay going for between 20-30 bucks (+ shipping) and am probably gonna start bidding on another one soon... maybe go nuts on a ridiculously non-stock paint scheme. (modified for E's, of course :) )

Stephen

Wow - those look great! How much does your Big Daddy weigh? I recently built mine with an E lenght mount, but I also used basswood fins and epoxy fillets, along with a LOC motor tube so I could also launch it on 24mm reloads, and I'm just afraid that I may be too heavy for the E's...

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
Wow - those look great! How much does your Big Daddy weigh? I recently built mine with an E lenght mount, but I also used basswood fins and epoxy fillets, along with a LOC motor tube so I could also launch it on 24mm reloads, and I'm just afraid that I may be too heavy for the E's...

Loopy

I have no idea what she weighs. It's a bit heavier than stock, due to the beefed up mmt and the addition of a 24" (I think) nylon chute. Takes off and flies great. The SBB, on the other hand - nylon chute and heavily filleted (?) fins also makes her a bit heavy, and she takes off a lot slower. I've flown it on a D12-5 and E9-4 and I guess the main difference would be that with the E, she takes off with more authority , not necessarily faster or a lot higher.

Stephen

Back