Big Daddy nosecone replacement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I built a Big Daddy stock back in 2000/01. One of the first times I flew it on the reccomended D motor, it core sampled the parking lot. It didn't do too much damage because a D doesn't carry it very high. Next, I flew it at Pawhuska, at the Tulsa Rocketry "High Fronteer" Big Daddy Drag Race - another core sample (all were flown on Ds). Last month I built the "Bash Daddy", a Big Daddy with reshaped plywood fins. Again, on a D, and it (wait for it...) core sampled. So I took the patched and repaired NC from the original BD, repainted it and flew it at Argonia. No D motor this flight. The chute stripped and the rocket landed hard, cracking the NC in a spiral fracture. As a replacement for both, I bought the 3" plastic NC from BMS. I think this *greatly* improves the look of both models. It's several inches longer, and has a longer, better shaped shoulder. The "angle" at the base is shorter which should help with the dreaded partial deployment.

nc1.jpgnc2.jpg
You can see the original yellow paint under the blue. I'm *NEVER* going to fly a BD with less than an F from now on! We should have a nice warm weekend so both will get primer/paint.

Back