Big Daddy Lawn Darts... Show of Hands Please.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Big Daddy was awesome on a Aerotech RMS D-13W about 700' and drifted right in to the patch of trees to the SE about 400 yards and I can't find it. Flew the drone and no dice. Purple parachute should stand out, but it is fall and the Rocket is frigging orange, BTW no dart maneuver. All drift. Plotting it out now to search this week. Big Daddy is Long Gone~

LG~

Strange---------------------------------The music you know about! RMS is gone but not far says 250ft east of me..................So I will be on the look out.

Daddy is back. So the flight was perfect and no lawn dart. On all of my flights the ejection system had indeed worked and the nosecone had separated and the parachute deployed. So here it is light damage will be ready to fly soon.

LG~

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_154957.jpg
    IMG_20201025_154957.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for that! A High Definition video clearly showing exactly what I've been saying for years.

Yes.... I've seen this happen a couple of times in person but unfortunately, in todays world, if it isn't on video it didn't happen. If you watch the rest of the video you can hear the RSO make little comments every time a BD is on the pad. People are scared of anything with that nose cone.

If you slow this down and watch it in HD you can see the nose cone separate about 1/3 of the way and all of the ejection gases dump out one side of the body tube at the 22:17 mark. It's clear as day and no one can deny it after watching this.

There's another video out there that I saw while surfing Youtube where the RSO literally said "fear not folks, the nose cones has been fixed on this one". I've been trying to find it again but I watched a hundred videos on the plane last week.

First pic shows it trailing smoke from one side of the nose cone

Second pic shows the partially ejected nose cone.

Attachments

• bd2.jpg
    bd2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 79
  • bd3.jpg
    bd3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I have complete respect for those that design these things for a living and understanding that these are very knowledgeable people. I thank everyone of them for giving us products that we can go out and enjoy, so thank you.

Now for personal experience. I've owned and flown 3 Big Daddies with 3 more hanging on the wall. Clearly, I like the kit. The first was the early version with the 24mm D length mount. The second was also an early version but I extended the mount to fit E motors. The last one is built for 29mm with Basswood fins and a plywood upper centering ring.

I tend to over build so my stock BD is a couple ounces over the advertised weight. The first flight on the first BD was a D12-3 straight up on a calm day. The flight was perfect, and we heard the loud pop of the ejection at apogee. The nosecone pushed out but didn't pull the chute with it. The rocket fell sideways and landed in tall grass so no damage. Afterward the rocket was inspected, and nothing was wrong. The nose cone wasn't tight but also wasn't wobbling around loose either. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to pick the rocket up by the nosecone and the weight of the rocket should slowly separate the body from the nosecone. I chalked this up to a weak charge. I noted the date code on the motor and moved on.

A few weeks later we were out again, and I used another D12-3 that was purchased a couple days before we launched so different batch, different date code etc. Again, nice basically calm day. Rod straight up, perfect flight, loud pop of the ejection and the nose cone pushed out but no chute. This time it landed sideways in a grass field and broke a fin. I went to pick the body up and parachute fell out along with the shock cord so it wasn't tight.......

At this point I was scratching my head. I put the rocket away and let it sit for weeks while I got over it. Finally I was ready to work the problem and fix the rocket. Looking at it I didn't care for the shape of the nosecone. I also didn't like that it left very little room for the laundry but figured they did this to fill the volume in the body tube. I was wondering if the gas was escaping past that shoulder so I decided to do the old blow test. (minds out of the gutter guys). Insert the nosecone and blow into the motor tube to see if the cone would pop... Nope... It came out about 3/4 of the way and stopped. Mind you I was a healthy guy in my early thirties at this point, so I had pretty good lungs. I could feel the air escape past the shoulder. So obviously that was the issue.

Break out the power tools and epoxy and pretty soon we have a cut down nose cone with only about 1 inch of shoulder left. A bulkhead was inserted inside just above the shoulder lip and epoxied in place. I attached the laundry to a screw eye and called it done. A couple of weeks later we were back on the field for BD's third flight. Again, D12-3, Straight up, pop at apogee. This time we got a good ejection. I could see the nose cone stretch all 6ft the shock cord and pop back. The chute opened and it was a perfect fight. This rocket has been up literally dozens of times since then as well as its two siblings both with the same nose cone mod. with zero failure or even close calls.

You can preach all you want that the nose cone isn't an issue. I've experienced it firsthand twice, fixed the issue and never had an issue after that.
I am glad I found this thread. I got the Big Daddy and the Vander-burn upgrades, 24 mm. I modified the nose cone, but left it with 1-5/8 inch of the shoulder left, now I am not worried about it, especially after seeing the video with the gas escaping from the nosecone!

I am glad I found this thread. I got the Big Daddy and the Vander-burn upgrades, 24 mm. I modified the nose cone, but left it with 1-5/8 inch of the shoulder left, now I am not worried about it, especially after seeing the video with the gas escaping from the nosecone!

I'd say the most important thing you can do now is to make sure that the rocket can't drag separate. Give it several wraps of tape until the fit is snug, but not too tight. If you can pick the rocket up by the nose, but still (blowing in from the back of the rocket) blow the nose off with a strong puff (like you are trying to blow out all the candles on a cake), you probably will be just fine.

I'd say the most important thing you can do now is to make sure that the rocket can't drag separate. Give it several wraps of tape until the fit is snug, but not too tight. If you can pick the rocket up by the nose, but still (blowing in from the back of the rocket) blow the nose off with a strong puff (like you are trying to blow out all the candles on a cake), you probably will be just fine.
Thanks for the advice!
I will take it!

Today I had one no deployment from E12-4 motor with my Big Daddy. It went through some pine trees

Attachments

• 6F8D4F6B-8AC3-45E4-9966-178AA7392C5C.jpeg
    6F8D4F6B-8AC3-45E4-9966-178AA7392C5C.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 800563CC-1E62-4FA8-BFB9-C1DAAE011CA6.jpeg
    800563CC-1E62-4FA8-BFB9-C1DAAE011CA6.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 34
Today I had one no deployment from E12-4 motor with my Big Daddy. It went through some pine trees

Ouch!

When you say no deployment, do you mean that the ejection charge didn't blow the cap off the end of the motor, or that it did, but the parachute failed to deploy?

One quick word on the Vanderburn upgrades. If you went with the full package with Fins and centering rings you might need to thing about nose weight. Depending on how you did the Nosecone mod you might be fine as that adds weight but be prepared to add an oz of nose weight if needed.

Thanks!
I added 1-1/2 ounce of lead shot frozen in gorilla glue in the tip of the nose cone to be safe!
I will sim it all out when I get to motor possibilities.

My first big daddy was stock and flew great until I threw a composite F and the thrust blew out the cardboard rings. I then upgraded it to 29mm glassing the body, whole 9. Flew it on a G80 for father's day. Beautiful flight but ended as a gift to the Rocket Gods due to chute opening at apogee and winds whisking it away. Next big daddy will be 38mm.

Yes.... I've seen this happen a couple of times in person but unfortunately, in todays world, if it isn't on video it didn't happen. If you watch the rest of the video you can hear the RSO make little comments every time a BD is on the pad. People are scared of anything with that nose cone.

If you slow this down and watch it in HD you can see the nose cone separate about 1/3 of the way and all of the ejection gases dump out one side of the body tube at the 22:17 mark. It's clear as day and no one can deny it after watching this.

There's another video out there that I saw while surfing Youtube where the RSO literally said "fear not folks, the nose cones has been fixed on this one". I've been trying to find it again but I watched a hundred videos on the plane last week.

First pic shows it trailing smoke from one side of the nose cone

Second pic shows the partially ejected nose cone.
Finishing up with my BD. I can see the issue. The shoulder is so long that it can canter enough to jam on the way out. I can't help but wonder if using talc on the shoulder will lubricate it enough.

We did Big Daddy drags at our last club launch. Out of ten flights, we had zero darts. I can’t say what everyone else did, but after reading this thread, I did take the precaution of taping the nose cone hole shut. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My big daddy rocket was an absolute unit, every time I launched it it would hit the ground nose first with no parachute, launched it 50+ times and it did not break, the only time the chute did deploy was the first launch and that was it

Back