Big Daddy discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on what I read here the Big Daddy will be missed. Since it is not going to be mass produced, here is an opportunity for our herd of boutique rocket manufacturers to step up. It does not have to be 100% identical, just enough so the need for a fat 24mm rocket with a big pointy nose is met.

How 'bout it;

Squirrelworks?

Thrustline?

WestWayne?

Buehler?

Gee Gordon, think of the time on the lathe....

Hospital Rocket...

Um he's sick, my best friend's brothers girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night... I guess it's pretty serious.

-Simone

Originally posted by sandman
I got this email today.

.........The good thing to remember is that the discontinuation of a product usually means a new product will be introduced to take its place.
:koff: Rubicon? :koff:

;)

Originally posted by rokitflite
Hospital Rocket...

Um he's sick, my best friend's brothers girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night... I guess it's pretty serious.

-Simone

rokitflite, I think you mean...

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

<a href="https://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/Movies/Ferris_Buelers_Day_Off/bueller.mp3">bueller.mp3</a>

Well, I just ordered 5 kits and sent an e-mail as well. I have been wanting to build a few big daddy's with clusters. I guess now is the time. There is a guy at out our local launch that has a fleet of big daddy's. He calls them F-Daddy, G-Daddy, H-daddy, I-Daddy and J-Daddy. The J I believe has the MM Tube extending all the way up to the tip of the nose.

...Fudd

dang and i was looking forward to building a cluster bd a stock bd and a 29mm bd. (sigh...)

With the demise of the Big Daddy I decided to start a little "short fat rocket" project. It's based on a 4" tube with a 3 24mm motor cluster, I have attached a picture of its beginnings.

With the demise of the Big Daddy I decided to start a little "short fat rocket" project. It's based on a 4" tube with a 3 24mm motor cluster, I have attached a picture of its beginnings.

rokitflite,

How about naming it..."Big Momma" or maybe "Fat Momma"?

Or...for the Brits and Canadians...Big Mum...Fat Mum.:D

Big Mummy...Fat Mummy...:confused:

Portly Momma...less offensive..

OH! I KNOW!!!

"Rubinesque Momma"

Thanks for the suggestions Sandman, I am stuck on the name. I was trying to get "Chunky" in there somewhere. I also considered "Anvil" after the Enertek model that never came to be. Maybe once its all done and painted some inspiration will hit me.

Actually John, I think BOTH of those are Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors!

I just looked at the Estes site and have to say I am seriously disappointed in what little kits they now have to offer. I remember when I used to get the catalog as a kid. There was nothing better than seeing what new and exciting products Estes had to offer!

I noticed that they discontinued the V2 and the Saturn V (again.) Seriously, what I don't understand is why you would put time into developing a quality kit only to discontinue it? Even if it isn't selling well, you can still offer it. I guarantee that Wal Mart has items that don't sell all that well, yet they still keep them stocked on the shelves.. </rant>

OK, I'm done. Just expressing my disappointment. Hopefully they will bring the Big Daddy back along with the V2 and the Saturn V..

-Chris

Originally posted by rokitflite
Thanks for the suggestions Sandman, I am stuck on the name. I was trying to get "Chunky" in there somewhere. I also considered "Anvil" after the Enertek model that never came to be. Maybe once its all done and painted some inspiration will hit me.

Ah, yes. The Anvil. That's a great name for a rocket! :D

Matt Steele told me the Enertek Anvil was the inspiration for the NCR Big Brute.

I have plans to turn a NCR Big Brute into an Anvil, someday...

Hobbytowne just opened here over the weekend... they had one (1) Big Daddy - so I bought it...

I'm thinking of two stages... Is there a vendor with a 3" tube that would be compatible? ...and I guess a coupler, too?

I would like to stay with a 24mm... But I'm wondering if a D12-0 can lift a two stage Big Daddy... should I go with a cluster in the first stage?

Anyone with experience stage from a cluster to a single BP motor... I'm think of placing the motors in a triangle... then all three would ignite the second stage... would this work? Or am I taking too bifg of a risk here?

isn't the Big Daddy a BT-80 based rocket? 2.6" OD
you should be able to get BT-80 and BT-80 couplers easily as they are a standard Estes size.

Balsa Machine Services will have BT-80 and couplers

I have a gap staged Executioner with 3 18mm motors and a central 24mm staging to a single 24mm and it works great!

the good thing about a clustered first stage is that if one of the motors doesn't light the upper stage, one of the other ones will! Cheap and dirty redundancy!

https://www.balsamachining.com/

I just made an order with HobbyLinc for some parts for my airbrush..... And while I was there and was already paying a shipping charge..... I got a Big Daddy too!!!!

Now the question is do I build the kit or scratch build one and save the actual kit?

I love Hobbylinc. They get it to us in the south so fast.

I've just got another Big Daddy from Hobbylinc. They must be doing well out of us panic-buying the remaining Big Daddys! :D

This one is going to be built, but not stock .... theres enough room for 4 x 18mm motormounts around the central 24mm one! :evilgrin:

This kit came with the new rubber shock cord, btw.

Back