Big Daddy CR slot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The EGE

Reaction score
I just bought an Estes Big Daddy kit - the newer style, intended for their E9 motors.

The forward centering ring has a 1/2" slot in it, near the outer edge of the ring. The instructions say to clear the slot, but don't explain what the purpose is, and there's no further instructions about it. It doesn't have anything to do with the motor hook, and I see absolutely no purpose for it.

Anyone got an explanation?

The forward centering ring has a 1/2" slot in it, near the outer edge of the ring. The instructions say to clear the slot, but don't explain what the purpose is, and there's no further instructions about it.

That's where Estes wants you to feed the rubber band through so that your tether/shock cord is attached to the centering ring instead of the inside of the body tube.

Wayne

That's where Estes wants you to feed the rubber band through so that your tether/shock cord is attached to the centering ring instead of the inside of the body tube.

Wayne

That makes sense, and I suspect that was the original intention. But the instructions say to glue the shock cord on above the MMT.:confused:

From what I was able to find there are two versions of the Big Daddy. One had you attaching the shock cord to the forward centering ring and the other went with the standard Estes BT mount. I read through the instructions on the one I built, which had you gluing the mount to the BT, and decided to skip both methods altogether.

I wrapped some picture hanging wire around the motor mount right up against the aft side of the forward centering ring and then ran it up through the forward centering ring. I reinforced the area of the centering ring that the wire passed through with a scrap piece of balsa glued flat to the centering ring and extending from the motor mount to the BT edge of the centering ring. The balsa is flush with the end of the motor mount. A picture is worth a thousand words though so I have attached one.

IMG_0496.jpg

Latest posts

Back