Big composite F-104?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U812

Reaction score
So tonight I had to go through my epoxy glass molds and find my TA-183 molds for a 90 mm fan EDF. I sold them to a friend that will put them into production again as an RC jet. I digress.

So while looking through things I come across the molds for a F-104 I made for 50 mm EDF fans. Small for a RC plane but big for a rocket.

She's 34.5 inches long. Epoxy glass and light weight. Vacuum formed canopy and tail cone. Balsa horizontal tail.

Now the old RC version had foam core and sheeted wings. For a rocket version thick balsa will do. You will need to glass them for strength and a nice finish. As I recall the fuses were around 5 oz. 2 layers of 4 oz. No gel coat.

The reason for the question mark in the title is...would anyone have an interest in this bird. It won't be cheap. It take the better part o a day to lay one up and de-mold it. Pull the canopy and tail cone. But if there was enough interest I might just do it. I do plan to make one for myself.

Of course the nose will have to be cut off and a flange added for recovery but I think you fine modelers could handle that.

And lastly. What to charge. I'll have to research that and sleep on it.

Here's some pictures of the RC ship. The wings are over sized for increased wing area, something a rocket can do without. And the wings could be scale. I can even vacuum form the scale shock cones since intake area isn't needed either.

Steve

p9230001.jpg

p9240004.jpg

p9110025.jpg

p8300007.jpg

rocket_104.jpg

I always wanted to build a mid power F104. Fat Cat Rockets (now out of business) made one and I wish I had ordered it before they stopped production. I am interested for sure. I can't really say a top price I would pay but I would consider it in the $100.00 range. Yeah, the wings can be a lot closer to the scale size. That remains my favourite looking aircraft. There are a lot of reasons not to love it but a lot of reasons to love it too. Canada had a ton of them before switching over to F-18's. Canada had some wicked colours and I already know I would opt for the Red Indian pattern.

Man you are coming out with interesting, different stuff! I did a 1:18 Starfighter PMC from a 21st Century Toys 'kit'. It's heavier than snot but flies well on small 29mm H's. Doesn't recover so well because it is still hauling a$$ when it ejects...another one of those birds that just starts to fly as it nears apogee. Need to lengthen that shock tether I guess.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/mod_pmc_21st_f104.shtml

I'm quite interested - I would probably bash it into some sort of futuristic starfighter-type design.

What else do you have available?

Thanks for the input guys but before we go any further lets talk about the cost. It would be impossible for me to make such a thing in the 100 dollar range. Unless I have a few 100 made in China. I don't have the money for that and I'm against it anyway.

That means I buy materials in USA and make it in my garage one at a time. They would have to be in the 200 dollar range in order to make it worth my time. She's a big ship and the fuse materials and my labor to make one up it the real expense. I would have to make them short kits at that and you make your own wings. I give you the fuse, canopy, tail cone, shock cones, and the tails. You engineer the rest.

It's just a thought I had when I came across the molds. If any of you have ever done glass lay ups you know it's no picnic.

Just putting my thoughts out there. It sure would be cool to see in the air with a plume of flame behind it.

Steve

ohhhhhh
I love F-104's!!!

I'd be interested but it's way out of my price and motor size range

Great looking model though!

you can kit one from just balsa and cardboard, the Fatcat model used an aftermarket r/c lexan canopy.. the rest was tubes and balsa. flys on a g80 stock with no beefing up at all.

one of my favorite kits of all time. !

we need annother f104 kit out there again.

IMG_0941.jpg

f104.jpg

pre-decal1.jpg

That look pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing that with us. I had no idea. The glass fuse I have is about the same size and scale. If only there was a way for me to make them cheaper.

Steve

That look pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing that with us. I had no idea. The glass fuse I have is about the same size and scale. If only there was a way for me to make them cheaper.

Steve

Keep us posted on this. I remember Fatcat having theirs at around the $100.00 mark but I would go double if it was really worth it. I agree that there needs to be an F104 kit out there. I'll get Stickershock23 to kit me out in the Canadian decals. There are some great ones.

LenB

Len thanks that makes a nice composite scale fuse out of the question. But the version above would be nice.

Currently the X-15 Delta is my most popular kit. As soon as the holidays are over I'll get back to work on something new. One thing is for sure. I have a good scale canopy plug for PETG clear. ;)

Steve

Here in Boise as I was growing up I remember the F86's first then we had F100's for a short time then we got some F104's. I thought they were so cool but how did the ever fly on those little wings?;)

you can kit one from just balsa and cardboard, the Fatcat model used an aftermarket r/c lexan canopy.. the rest was tubes and balsa. flys on a g80 stock with no beefing up at all.

one of my favorite kits of all time. !

we need annother f104 kit out there again.
[/IMG]

Stymye, can you give us a part list and some templates for this 104? That thing is so cool!!!

Back