Big...Big...Did I mention Big Question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

O.K... I've read dozens of times here about using "Future" floor polish stuff... for the final coat. You know... to make the rocket really shiny and smooth.

Well the night before my last launch... I did so. I rubbed the "Future" on with a sponge... It did look really good and dried fairly quickly.

The next morning at the launch field... all of my rockets' nose cones had "glued" themselves to the tubes... Some of them took alot of force to break the bond... Needless to say I couldn't fly...at least without alot of sanding the interior of the tubes and the cones shoulder...

I didn't think it was that thick going on... and I never thought about it possibly seeping through the joint... I never thought to remove the nose cones before applying the wax...

Uh.... What did I do wrong...???

Thanks....

Gees! how thick did you put it on?

Don't do that! a very light coat is all that's needed.

I know, I know...
But still... I never heard anyone say "Watch out for seepage"...
and... I thought I was being light...

Oh well... If a day went by and I didn't learn something that I didn't know... I would really be afraid...!!!
And it's not a serious matter to straighten out...

If that makes sense...???

Thanks...!!!

I applied Future last night for the first time with a 1" paint brush and I love the results. My nose cone was also a little stuck today. I carefully freed it, sanded the shoulder and now its good to go. I'm definately sold on Future! No more nasty Gloss Cote!! :D

BAH!

Future! HAHA!

Try automotive clear coat...GREAT stuff...it is SO worth the cost!

Check it out!

Jason

Just kidding...

Future is great stuff. I've seriously improved my finishes by making sure I get some half-decent fillets, smooth paint, then I Future my bird. It goes on nicely, and the rockets I have coated with look 10x better than they did before the Future!

Jason

If I understand your question you left your nose cone on your body tube when applying the Future. I always do mine seperate and then hang the nose cone pointing downward. Usually the excess will pool on the nose cone tip and a dab of a paper towel with take care of it. 30 minutes and your good to go.

Originally posted by Steward

The next morning at the launch field... all of my rockets' nose cones had "glued" themselves to the tubes... Some of them took alot of force to break the bond... Needless to say I couldn't fly...at least without alot of sanding the interior of the tubes and the cones shoulder...

I didn't think it was that thick going on... and I never thought about it possibly seeping through the joint... I never thought to remove the nose cones before applying the wax...

Uh.... What did I do wrong...???

Thanks....

I think I read somewhere Future can be removed with ammonia or an ammonia/water solution. If you try it, definately try it on a small area first. I thought I read a post by someone that said they would strip and re-coat their rockets with future.

Future is definately NOT wax. It is an acrylic clearcoat

yes , "future" the parts seperately and let dry, future is often used by airplane modelers to attach clear conopys to their airplanes.

small nosecones can actually be dipped in it with nice results

also clear paylod tubes dippped in future come out looking like glass!

on an off topic note--- I sure wish people here would get to the point in their thread titles ...the forum is starting to get bombarded with cryptic titles and make it hard to keep up with certain subjects, and searches.... it's become a common thing lately so I ask my fellow TRF'er to please avoid titles like:

-guess what...
-you won't believe this...!
-interesting thought
-has anybody tried this?
-check this out !
-question for the forum
-Attention _______!
-how do I....
-please read

and so on

also clear paylod tubes dippped in future come out looking like glass!

Gee!...I never thought of doing that!:confused:

Lord knows I have enough models with clear payload sections!:D

Back