Big Betty, one of my favs, and thanks to Zack on flash photography techniques.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
This was not one of my better works, I think high humidity bites me on the second or third layer of paint. It starts cracking.

I don't have the funds for airbrush work. I build 'em, fly 'em when there's money to buy motors.

Thanks to Zack on the photography techniques. After dark photos with the flash, I used a piece of wax paper over the flash. Almost completely toned it down, and there is one layer of clear coat on this bird to hold the decals on.

Yeah, I split the decal to cover some errors, and besides that, I never cared for many "box cover" paint schemes other than AMRAAM.

I've never had paint "crack" or "craze" on me -

did you say "high humidity"??

Your BBetty looks great!! ;)

During a subsequent layer of paint, the paint all of the sudden starts to look like a dried up lake bed.
Cracks everywhere.

I can only contend, it's too much paint at once, and too much humidity.

I usually end up getting out the acetone, going back to the bare BT, and after that, it's all messed up anyway.

Yeah, BBet, sweet, even with all the paint mistakes. These things cook on a C.

I have had the paint craking problem a few times. Now I checked weather.com before painting, and only paint if the humidity is less than 50%. I can put on a much thicker layer of spray paint and do multiple coats with no cracking. I am using Krylon rattle cans.

A lot of times, cracking or crazing of paint can be attributed to using incompatible types. Such as using a lacquer over an enamel base.

I used to have that problem, hasn't came up lately though. Not since I started paying attention to "re-coat" times on my rattle cans.

I like to use Krylon, but walmart stuff will do fine if you are a little more careful. Krylon seems to "cover" better and is a little thicker. It also has a recoat time of 15 min. between coats.

Correction: Krylon has a recoat time of "anytime", no limit before or after, (I was thinking about Dry time), My Bad.

The wlmart stuff tends to take a little more paint to get the same amount of coverage, then you have to worry about drips. Walmart paint has that "less than 4 hr or wait a week" recoat time. That can be challenging in itself.

I hope that helps.

crackling can also be attributed to applying a layer of paint to one that is not completely dried...I've had this issue with duplicolor before
tho it's not typical of the "recoat anytime" stuff

Originally posted by grimlock3000
I have had the paint craking problem a few times. Now I checked weather.com before painting, and only paint if the humidity is less than 50%. I can put on a much thicker layer of spray paint and do multiple coats with no cracking. I am using Krylon rattle cans.

man... if I had to rely on that living in southern louisiana, I'd NEVER be able to get any paint on a rocket..lol...

I had paint crack before..but it was due to problems with using an incompatible primer with the paint...

later
Jerryb

the cracking is probably a combination of
humidity
previous layer not dry enough
and
too much paint on the overcoat.

This cracking usually occurs on my 2nd coat, and the next day after the 24 hours is up.

I learned to use the same type everything the first time I used Krylon on top of Rustoleum primer. What a mess !

Thanks for the input, y'all !!!!

Back