Big Bertha Trivia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
I never knew this before, but before Big Bertha became the classic Estes rocket, its building plans were distributed back in 1963, for free! I dont think it actually became an actual Estes offering until 1965. And, at one times, it came under the often used Astron moniker.

Do you know of any obscure Big Bertha trivia?

The original plans showed a pointed nose cone. The Semroc Vega is essentially the original Big Bertha design.

The original plans showed a pointed nose cone. The Semroc Vega is essentially the original Big Bertha design.
This is great to know. I built Big Bertha originally almost 50 years ago, with my late father. Of course, back then, it was a balsa nose cone, now plastic. Which, I honestly did not mind in my recent tribute build.

The drawing in the MRN doesn't quite match the nose cone in the photos on the same page. The callout is for BNC-60L which was quite a bit longer than the current blow-molded plastic nose cone or even the two-piece injection molded nose cone that the kit had for awhile.

eRockets sells the Semroc "BNC-60LV" which was Carl McLawhorn's attempt to match the shape of the nose cone on Vern Estes' original Big Bertha. Here is Vern's original next to one built from a kit in 2014:

BigBerthas1_NARAM56.jpg

The drawing in the MRN doesn't quite match the nose cone in the photos on the same page. The callout is for BNC-60L which was quite a bit longer than the current blow-molded plastic nose cone or even the two-piece injection molded nose cone that the kit had for awhile.

eRockets sells the Semroc "BNC-60LV" which was Carl McLawhorn's attempt to match the shape of the nose cone on Vern Estes' original Big Bertha. Here is Vern's original next to one built from a kit in 2014:

View attachment 502493
While I love Vern's craftsmanship here, if memory serves me right, the early 70's Bertha, while the cone was Balsa, is closer in shape to the plastic cone being sold with the kits today. Was so happy to have the laser cut fins in the modern day kit. I vaguely remember the vintage Estes logo as a decal with those 70's kits, I could be wrong.

Yes, the BNC-60L that I remember was closer in shape to the injection-molded plastic nose cone that came next (PNC-60L) and was not too far from the current blow-molded one. So the shape of what was called "BNC-60L" did change (drift as nose-cone-making machines wore?) over time.

So yes, I think you recall correctly.

I had never seen a balsa nose cone of the shape that is on Vern's original until I ordered a BNC-60LV from Semroc and built my first Big Bertha from that original MRN info, with the express purpose of flying it at NSL in 2013 and then getting it signed by Vern while there. Both objectives were accomplished and it, as well as the one in the comparison picture I posted (taken at NARAM-56 the next year, and signed there by both Vern and Gleda) are up on a high shelf and will not be flown again, most likely.

Yes, the BNC-60L that I remember was closer in shape to the injection-molded plastic nose cone that came next (PNC-60L) and was not too far from the current blow-molded one. So the shape of what was called "BNC-60L" did change (drift as nose-cone-making machines wore?) over time.

So yes, I think you recall correctly.

I had never seen a balsa nose cone of the shape that is on Vern's original until I ordered a BNC-60LV from Semroc and built my first Big Bertha from that original MRN info, with the express purpose of flying it at NSL in 2013 and then getting it signed by Vern while there. Both objectives were accomplished and it, as well as the one in the comparison picture I posted (taken at NARAM-56 the next year, and signed there by both Vern and Gleda) are up on a high shelf and will not be flown again, most likely.
I was getting suggestions to build it with one of the balsa nose cone substitutes, as well as without the motor mount hook. That I would never do. Overall, very pleased with how it came out, and the incredible memories it served to evoke. I almost cried a couple of times, especially when remembering my late father grumbling about sanding balsa wood, and all the sawdust it created.

Latest posts

Back