Big Bertha on E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the mm of the motors I bought, they are not the size that Bertha wants, but they were the only ones I could find at hobby lobby. I did order the right ones from a place online, maybe those will fit tighter and make more sense. I'm just getting back into rockets, I haven't built them since I was a kid.

Buddah, For your first flight, I don't recommend that you fly the full 29mm motor. Buy the 24mm to 29mm adapter from Estes and fly the smaller 24mm "E" motors that you have. This will give you a good flight without going ridiculously high.

The only question is the delay of those motors. The delay is the last digit in the motor code. For example E12-4, E12-6.

Hey guys! I recently built the super big bertha and have a question! This is the first e rocket ive built and I know on the smaller rockets, there's a metal brace that holds the rocket in place. On the Super Big Bertha, what holds the motor in place? I couldn't find anything in the instructions or online. Any guidance will help! I think maybe there's a engine block that was supposed to be installed?
Hi, If you tell us exactly which motors you have, we can tell you if SBB is likely to have a successful first flight vs a lawndart.

What's Fight Club?
Ya gotta be kidding. Tyler Durden? Fight Club. 1999 movie with Brad Pitt/Edward Norton. Search up: "Rules of Fight Club" or similar. Damned good movie, though dark and a little disturbing...definitely worth a watch, though. Rated 8.8/10 on IDMB. Think I'll download it right now, matter of fact!

There. Fixed it for ya, Mo.

Last edited:
Ya gotta be kidding. Tyler Durden? Fight Club. 1999 movie with Brad Pitt/Edward Norton. Search up: "Rules of Fight Club" or similar. Damned good movie, though dark and a little disturbing...definitely worth a watch, though. Rated 8.8/10 on IDMB. Think I'll download it right now, matter of fact!
Ssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

:facepalm: You’re forgetting the first rule.....(and missing my sarcasm....)

:facepalm: You’re forgetting the first rule.....(and missing my sarcasm....)
Ach phooey!!! Yes, I indeed, in disbelief, missed your sarcasm the first time. But....you broke both rules yourself trying to be cute, dincha???!!!???

I will try to edit my original post accordingly!

In the beginning of the month I had my childhood big bertha make a splash down on a small lake at our ranch. I waited till it floated ashore and picked it up. I let it dry for a few days and then tried to remove the C motor that was in it. Well, it ripped out the whole inside, centering rings and all and left me with just the airframe. So I made some new centering rings from thin plywood and found a 24mm tube that used to be the airframe for a recently-CATO'd Estes Eggscalibur. I cut the tube to size and fit it in the new centering rings. I then sanded them down to fit the Big Bertha and voila! Big Bertha with a 24mm MMT was born. If you haven't upgraded some previously 18mm rockets to 24 or even 29mm, I recommend doing so! It was cool to see it go so much higher and faster than what I was used to on C motors.

I bought Super Big Bertha from a science vendor at a homeschool convention about 23 years ago. I thought it was called Big Bertha II. I was going to use it as part of science study with my then eight year old daughter. I built it but never (at the time) flew it because I didn't know where to get D motors.

It sat in the attic, basement, and garage (and with it sat my dreams of flying rockets) until 3 years ago, when I found Hobby Lobby carried D. I bought a starter kit and built another two rockets. My younger daughter and her cousin flew it for the first time. I LOVE IT.

Last summer I introduced an 11yo to rocketry, and we shared a couple of launch days. When I launched Super Big Bertha, the Nose cone/Parachute fell gently to earth, while the airframe lawn-darted! The shock cord (elastic) had broken. The top 30% was crushed/damaged. The motor mount ruptured and detached from the outer shell.

Damaged_BB.jpg

After many of hours of surgery, I was able to replace the motor mount with another bought from Estes. The mount kit can be setup for D or E 24mm engines. It also comes with a plug to allow D to be used in the E tube. And I replaced the upper tube with a new one, But I cut the damage off and left enough to join a full 14in tube with standard coupler. This effectively added 4 inches to original Super Big Bertha.

Long story short(er) I launched it again next month, and again sheered off the shock cord (elastic). I realized I cut the elastic short. It needed to be longer. Fortunately it lawn-darted into tall thick grass and needed no repair!
big_bertha2_kid.jpeg
I love the Bertha line...
big_bertha_flight.jpeg

Attachments

• Damaged_BB_motor.MOV
    3.2 MB
So I just wrap more tape around the motor to hold it in place? Lol I see that in the instructions, I just thought there would be more that holds it.

Tape wrap is always a quick fix. While noodling around for an alternative one day I came up with a different method. I had some extra CR5052H-P centering rings from BMS in my parts bin. The inner diameter is a little bigger than a 24mm Estes motor. I found that if I laminated the inside with 3 strips of slightly heavy paper cut to size (I used a manilla envelope) it fit the OD of the motor almost perfectly. A little light sanding would sometimes be required. Slip it on the motor and hit it with a couple drops of CA and you're ready to go. I always keep a half dozen or so in my range box now.
IMG_2064.JPG

The motors I bought were 24mm so I got the adapter and it flew nice, I got a bunch of the 29mm e and f engines now but haven't launched with them. Honestly I'm a little scared of the 29mm e and f engines. They're huge. On My first launch the parachute got damaged so I bought a 30" nylon one and a little concerned the 30" is a little too big and will take forever to come down making the recovery a little difficult.

The motors I bought were 24mm so I got the adapter and it flew nice, I got a bunch of the 29mm e and f engines now but haven't launched with them. Honestly I'm a little scared of the 29mm e and f engines. They're huge. On My first launch the parachute got damaged so I bought a 30" nylon one and a little concerned the 30" is a little too big and will take forever to come down making the recovery a little difficult.
You could use a parachute calculator to determine the parachute size for the weight of the rocket.

My bad. I didn't realize the Bertha model in question used a 29mm motor when I posted my thrust ring mod. Teepot is spot on in recommending the chute calculator. But if you only have the 30" on hand when the urge to launch grabs ya and are concerned about the drift you could always "reef" the parachute to speed up the descent.

***Folks, the website was stalling when I loaded this post and I kept hitting "submit", so this long-ass post was repeated 3 times. My apologies. I'm deleting content from the next 2 messages, but mods, if you see this, can you please just delete them entirely?

INTENDED POST:
If you put your chutes on a snap-swivel (for fishing) then you can swap out different chutes for your bird depending on weather/wind and total weight considerations (24mm w adapter or 29 mm motors; heavier nylon vs plastic). Stock kit weight without motor is 8.9 ounces (sorry Euro/Aussie pals, you'll need to do the conversions to metric:=) according to Estes, but that's going to vary according to your build style (e.g, adhesive selection and amount, finishing layers...), probably upward of that value. Have you weighed yours with and without a spent motor inserted? E9 and E12s weigh 2 ounces and 1.3 ounces is propellant (their chart don't account for delay/ejection/endcap weights...so the empty case probably weighs about a half ounce. D-motors weigh in at about 1.5 oz, with 0.9 oz of that being propellant. Simple to determine with a cheapo $10 digital scale from Amazon (strongly suggest you get one if you don't have--they're endlessly useful).

The SBB comes with a 24" chute, that, from the instructions (I don't have a BBB yet...boo hoo, but a Doorknob is on its way in the mail, whoo hoo!) looks like cheapo plastic one with hole protectors. Your nylon chute's gonna add a little weight, too. Without an actual weight, it's hard to determine what's the best chute size you'll want. Too big and you'll be donating it to one of our fellow rocketeers in Europe. 30" seems pretty big for that bird, unless you're popping it off super low off a D12-3 (has anybody tried a C11-3 in SBB ???). According to Mike Westerfield's LPR/MPR text "Make: Rockets", his table on page 236 indicates a rocket weight range (with expended motor) of 6.4 to 10.6 oz for a 24" chute--pretty wide range. Which fits with what Estes provided. So 30" seems a bit large to me. Just calculating for a round chute (not the kit-included hexagonal trash bag-shaped chute), a 24" round chute has an area of 452 square inches (mods can you add the ability for us to use superscript/subscript text, please?). A 30" inch chute has a surface area of 707 square inches, i.e., is 56% bigger. That's a pretty big difference. Big enough to possibly be the difference between a great flying day and a sinking feeling in your gut as you helplessly watch your beautiful fat rocket as it begins to slowly waft its way over on its long journey to Scotland. Doug's suggestion is to reef your chute. Mine is to buy another 24-incher, in nylon. If you try to cut a spillhole, well, be careful with ripstop nylon--you need a sharp hot knife and a steady hand, and the cut edges should be reinforced to prevent tears.

And don't forget to adequately protect your laundry (chute/strings...) from the ejection charge flame and burning particles. They're pretty energetic, and given half a chance, they will happily burn holes in cheapo plastic chutes (expensive nylon ones, too), and burn strings (use Kevlar here, too) and crummy rubberband shock cords. Many folks new to the sport underestimate the amount of flameproofing to use, but that usually isn't repeated too frequently (unless they lose the rocket and never know what went wrong, tsk tsk! Except for my "disposable" fleet, and some of my streamer fleet, I long ago upgraded to kevlar string, thicker protected shock cords, and nylon chutes with Kevlar shroud lines when practicable. Baffles on bigger-diameter models. And don't pay those ridiculous prices for Estes fire-resistant (note I did not say fireproof) toilet paper squares. They're simple to make yourself with cheap buttwipe soaked in a saturated solution of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or slightly better sodium borate (Borax "detergent") and air dried. Or paper towels. Dog Barf is simply fluffy cellulose insulation material with flame retardant that you can buy a lifetime supply of at Home Depot for under 10 bucks, if that's your preference. Biodegradable. Green leaves work in a pinch (or lettuce from the produce drawer of your fridge). Nothing flammable, please.

And please find a big field (and use a smallish chute) and confront your worries regarding "huge" 29mm motors! They're a hoot, and needed in anything much heavier than your current bird, though I shoot/enjoy many LPR motors, too.

The Estes 24 mm motor chart is available at: https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Educator/Estes_Engine_Chart.pdf . I've also uploaded it as a pdf. It requires updating to include all of their motors, too, including the 29mm series. Get on the ball, Estes!

Attachments

• Estes_Engine_Chart.pdf
    291.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Duplicate post deleted. Sorry. Annoying...

I have "reported" myself to the moderating powers that be for posting with poor quality control. A very bad actor, indeed! Life! No parole for me!!!

Last edited:
So I just wrap more tape around the motor to hold it in place? Lol I see that in the instructions, I just thought there would be more that holds it.
Yeah. My Star Orbiter is my 6th Rocket. Never saw that tape mount before. Same as you I thought it was to center the motor or something. I was gently educated

30 inch is too large. The SBB comes down nicely on a 24in. A nice nylon chute makes a good upgrade over stock.

Something to consider when building large diameter rockets in the future is to add a baffle to the design so you don't need to use wadding and it protects your recovery system.

Back