Big Bertha launch lug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELBRAZ

Reaction score
Please, somebody get out their Bertha and find out for me how long the launch lug is! I'm building a stock BB and I think I used the lug out of the package for something that seemed important at the time....
-braz

I just opened the bag on my BIG BERTHA ...
It measured 5 inches...

Any ideas as to why the heck that thing is so long? I built my original yellow and black BB in the early 90s and recall being upset that I used the whole length. At the time ever last scrap of launch lug counted towards some other scratch paper towel roll rocket.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Any ideas as to why the heck that thing is so long?

And, anyone have any ideas why the motor tube is so long? 2-3 times longer than other 18mm motor tube I've built......

Thanks, guys. I've got 29mm Broadsword that flies really nice with F10-4's, a Super Bertha, a 2" 24mm motor Bertha, a seven 18mm cluster 3" Bertha, a Rangeroid(no payload section), a seven 13mm cluster Bertha, there's even a Big Betty around somewhere, but no vanilla Big Bertha, the greates Estes Kit of them all. Thanks!
-Braz

Is there any reason why you couldn't split the launch lug into two pieces? There are other rockets close to or bigger than a BB, and have split lugs...just wondering....

Originally posted by Steward

Is there any reason why you couldn't split the launch lug into two pieces? There are other rockets close to or bigger than a BB, and have split lugs...just wondering....

I am quite certain that you could get by with two launch lugs, about 1/4" long each, mounted approximately 3 or 4 inches to each side of the center of gravity for a Big Bertha and have no problem whatsoever.

The 5" lug is for the whole "big and burly" marketing thang that Estes had goin' on with the original bird.

No need for a launch lug of that size on ANY stable bird weighing less than 5 lbs.............

Totally Tubular has 1/8" x 12" Estes style launch lugs.

Don't know why it's so long...'cause Vern made it that way?

sandman

Originally posted by Fore Check
The 5" lug is for the whole "big and burly" marketing thang that Estes had goin' on with the original bird.

It may have something to do with the Ranger kit (K-6).

I pulled out my Ranger instructions (circa 1969) and noted that the launch lug is listed as part # LL-1C which was 5" in length.

Since the Ranger and Big Bertha externally appear the same, Estes might have wanted to keep the part differences to a minimum to save on the number of different parts they had to keep in inventory. The Ranger was released before the Big Bertha.

Here's a recent picture of my 30+ year old Ranger along with some other rockets:

Back