Big Battle Axe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Based on a request in another thread I decided to go ahead and do a brief build thread on this rocket. I am fitting this build in between what I had previously been building and/or was scheduled in the next month or so. The genesis of the rocket was to find a design to utilize and fit a theme for this:

bell-shaped1_lg.jpg

I picked this retainer up a couple of years ago for a good price from a listing here I believe. In any case I had been playing with a few scratch designs--most of them 3" in diameter. A couple of weeks ago I also came across this 4" Blue Tube 2.0 closeout deal from LOC-Precision that includes a booster tube, payload section, coupler and nosecone. Last domino fell when I stumbled across the OOP Rockethead Rockets Battle Axe on EMRR. So, I decided to merge them all together to get the attached 4X upscale design.

BattleAxe.jpg

Last edited:
Besides the $45 spent on the Blue Tube pack everything else comes from my extra parts stashes in my workshop. Most of them are shown here including 4 sheets of 1/4" aircraft plywood, u-bolt, two forged eyebolts, extra 38mm MMT section, the aforementioned retainer, miscellaneous select centering rings and bulkheads, miscellaneous hardware.

6366147681_87823bbb27_z.jpg

You will note that there is a bit of a hodgepodge of parts for instance, some fairly thick plywood CR's mixed with G10 in some cases (e.g., the av-bay bulkhead seen just epoxied together with the G10 coupler plate along with a 1/4" ply bulkhead). Again, this mix is because the parts come from my stash where I pick things up as they are "on sale"--for instance I picked up some 50 CRs and bulkheads from 2.2" to 5.5", both ply and G10 on one purchase for $20. Nothing is optimized here as this is a fun, theme rocket meant to be a big, small field flyer with little/no focus on performance.

6366188153_f2a4d36975_z.jpg

Cool project. I've often thought about doing a design that utilizes the GLR bell nozzle. Haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Please keep the posts coming...

Bret

Then fins were marked with a template and cut with a jigsaw.

6366156295_cc692b96d1_z.jpg

Sanded the rough edges and made sure all fins are uniform. Then added a beveled edge on the tip chord, again nothing done for performance here as the fore and aft edges are square, but the bevel on the tip chord is just to simulate the axe theme.

6366165041_e4473f2db0_z.jpg

It's a rocket and a lethal weapon? Sorry you may now :bangpan::bangpan:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled build thread.

:p

Seriously though, looks pretty cool.
Adrian

Couple of things...

1. I've seen a similar design and similarly sized rocket at a Snow Ranch launch last year. It even wore the name "Battle Axe".

2. Nice Jorgensen miter box. Been planning to pick one of them up from the LHD (local Home Depot) but wondered where to buy replacement blades. Found out that Ace Hardware either has them in stock or available online.

3. The bevels of the axe blade fins are brutal.

4. Subscribed!!

I love it,I love ,I love IT!!!!!!!!! Perfect rocket for this theme. I have a Fliskit Stingray with these decals on it.

Axe clown.jpg

Lethal Threat.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Scotty Dog, regarding decals, I'm probably going to keep them at a minimum. Maybe with just some scrolled pinstripping to make it look like a ceremonial weapon. Old_dude, regarding naming, I'm working on that. A number of years back I read a series of fantasy novels where the main character had a "named" axe. I'm racking my brain to remember, but my father-in-law has the books on a shelf if my memory fails me.

Drilling critical holes in av-bay bulkplates.

6369410125_2f7e48e46c_z.jpg

And then fore MMT recovery attach point along with installing hardware.

6369400571_d994451b15_z.jpg

Installing Slimline retainer with JB Weld butted up against aft CR.

6369356881_0611c876f9_z.jpg

Then measuring and attaching the rest of the CRs. First order attachment is with Titebond II as this is a LOC paper MMT. Follow on fillets will be with T-88 structural epoxy.

6369419875_a33fd637ba_z.jpg

Using template once again to cut 6 oz. fiberglass.

6369372043_ba18bbb290_z.jpg

Two sets of eight each for the fiberglass laminating, one perpendicular to bias, one at 45 degrees. Although these fins are "big planks" and could be susceptible to flutter the fiberglassing here is not for performance as this is a "fun flyer", it is more to guard against dings and seal it really well to guard against any warping over the years.

6369383209_216bb0b46a_z.jpg

Also cut a sufficient amount of breather cloth and mat for use in the presses.

6369391707_2a091b477c_z.jpg

Wow...uber thick centering rings.

Yep, as I said in post #2, I just picked up an assortment out of my parts boxes that I have been collecting for years--parts purchased for a "song." Not optimizing here, just a "for fun" build.

T-nut locations indented/drilled in fore and aft MMT CRs then tapped in with contact cement underneath. Verified/adjusted to vertical and then epoxied all around.

6372309035_18683abf56_z.jpg

Laminating fins using a press (18"x18" tiles). Stack up from the bottom: 1) a layer of freezer paper (don't forget this you'll hate yourself), 2) mat for extracting extra epoxy (quilt batting), 3) release cloth, 4) fiberglass/epoxy, 5) fin, then 4, 3, 2, 1 to finish out on top of the fins. I know someone will ask, again the cross hatching is done in addition to scuffing up the surface with 80 grit so epoxy will have more areas to bite.

6376956757_2cbac2f7a6_z.jpg

Then simply put the top tile on and carefully clamp with equal pressure all around. I then put the assembly in my small office bathroom with the heater on. In ~4 hours I will follow up with bias layer of cloth.

6376957619_8c3dac6f64_z.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I was being original with The Battle Axe! About 3 weeks ago I started on a very similar looking model. Nose cone is scratch but like a Nike Smoke, uses an aluminum tail cone, fins are hard to describe but back half look like yours, front half curves around. Great looking rocket though!

Wow, I thought I was being original with The Battle Axe! About 3 weeks ago I started on a very similar looking model. Nose cone is scratch but like a Nike Smoke, uses an aluminum tail cone, fins are hard to describe but back half look like yours, front half curves around. Great looking rocket though!

Hey, the more the merrier! Maybe end up with a Battle Axe gallery?

Those fins are looking SHARP!!!! This rocket is going to be a KILLER!!

Wow Tim, I wish I had known you were going to do this. I think I still have the original laser cutting pattern for this kit somewhere.

Thanks ScottyD. The Ax just reminds me of that for some reason, probably cuz it rocks!

Here's my concept sketch I made last month. The darker fin and nose cone will be what I'll do (nose cone is mostly done). The fin cross section was experimental and won't be used. I've had great success with glassed foam board and I want fins that are quite thick but beveled for the 'edge' of the blades so I'll use 2 pieces with red poster board in the center for reference when 'sharpening'.

scan0001.jpg

Back