Big announcement from Rebar-big to me anyway

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar_rocketry

Reaction score
First off, I'm sure some of you witnessed the tirade in the Coffee House last night. I'm still sore from the beating I was getting until some members of the forum stepped in and pulled them off me. I really appreciate that. I've worked hard for a long time trying to build a business doing something I love. I've stumbled a few times, and fallen a couple of times, but I always got back up and tried to improve upon myself and my business. Almost 1:00 or 1:30 getting in the bed every night and up at 6:15 tends to wear you down and make you wonder if it's all worth it when you can't spend time with your family like you used to and I haven't built anything in a while. But seeing everybody come to my rescue last night really reinvigorated me. It was a needed shot in the arm for a tired man.

Which brings me to my big news and why I've been so tired lately.
In a couple of weeks, I'll be opening a full-fledged rocketry retail location here in town. Yes, you'll be able to walk into Rebar Rocketry and buy on the spot. I'll have the largest selection of rocketry related products in the state of Mississippi and a little beyond (I'm trying to determine how far beyond now...anybody know?) I'll also be the only outlet in Mississippi for some lines that I carry.

OK. There, I've said it. Now you can call me crazy. But I love this hobby too much to not take it to the next level, or at least give it my best shot and not spend the rest of my life wondering "what if?" It's already opening doors that were previously closed to me, and I hope to see some of you in there for a chat if you're ever coming through here.

And thanks again for the rescue last night.

Best of luck to you.
I live too far away to stop in but you can bet I will be doing more mail orders from your fine establishment.

I didn't see you getting dog-piled in the Coffee House, but I can say when I've ordered from you, you've zipped the stuff right out. I got the latest edition of the HBOMR today, and I tell ya, I wasn't expecting it for a couple more days! :D

Obviously things can get hairy sometimes when you're operating a business, and of course not everybody is Wal-Mart with 10,000 employees, so it's understandable there are some glitches sometimes. But you're doing a pretty good job, so hang in there, and take a couple hours off one of these days to build a rocket!! :D

(AFTER my Dr. Zooch Saturn I's go in the mail, of course!!!!!! :D :D ;) )

I wish you the best of luck. I know that you will make it. I have talked to you and know that you are in this hobby for the love of it. I know what you are going through as I was up late getting your stock of Rockethead Parachutes ready.

Again good luck and If I ever get out that way you bet I will stop in.
Tom

Thats great news!
I know it's a gamble, but you dont know unless you try. I wish you all the best. It's a dream come true when you can make a living doing something you love! Well...my dream anyway.

Didnt see you getting abused. Not what usually happens here. I'm glad someone stepped up for you. Was the thread pulled?

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
OK. There, I've said it. Now you can call me crazy. But I love this hobby too much to not take it to the next level, or at least give it my best shot and not spend the rest of my life wondering "what if?" It's already opening doors that were previously closed to me, and I hope to see some of you in there for a chat if you're ever coming through here.

You can do it.

Now that Kevin from Countdown has "retired", perhaps you can ask him for pointers. After all, he just sold the store, it didn't go out of business.

One thing I'd suggest to keep mail order going smoothly and from you having to answer availability inquiries, keep a catalog online with current availability. Some places have listings for stuff that they don't currently have (and in some cases haven't head for months). That looks really unprofessional and leads to hard feelings and bad word of mouth.

I know from other business that stocking parts is a problem. Lots of stock, lots of cost, slow movers, lots of leftovers. Consider making a deal with parts suppliers to take orders and have them drop-ship them. Everyone wins.

And thanks again for the rescue last night.

You earned it.

As for stopping by, make sure you put up a map to Kosciusko, MS.
It's not on the main routes, but then Countdown wasn't really either, and lots of people made the trip. BTW, Tadeusz Kosciusko is an ancestor of mine. Saved Phildelphia with engineering, and George Washington with combat.

"Koh-SHOO-sko."
"Gudzinkus" (Polish for "gudsundheit")
It's a family joke.

Originally posted by nomopbo
Didnt see you getting abused. Not what usually happens here. I'm glad someone stepped up for you. Was the thread pulled?

Not yet. But at least it's over. I can't imagine what they thought they were going to accomplish. It backfired.

(AFTER my Dr. Zooch Saturn I's go in the mail, of course!!!!!! )]

You bet. They shipped to me today, and I'll be honest with ya. I dread it when they arrive. I will have my hands full for a while trying to get all those things shipped.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

You earned it.

It's not on the main routes, but then Countdown wasn't really either, and lots of people made the trip. BTW, Tadeusz Kosciusko is an ancestor of mine. Saved Phildelphia with engineering, and George Washington with combat.

"Koh-SHOO-sko."
"Gudzinkus" (Polish for "gudsundheit")
It's a family joke.

I'll be sure and put up the address and pics and everything. I had originally planned to have it open by today in time for an "Outdoor Expo" that we're having here in town, but that just wasn't going to happen. If I didn't already have the web business going, it would be a lot easier.

I bet if you came to town, being a descendant of Tadeusz, they would probably put you on parade and give you the key to the city. The local "officials" will do anything to get their picture in the paper, and that would be a great excuse for them.:D

Where about in Mississippi will you be located? I have some friends in Gulfport that I will be visiting in the spring of '05. If it's close enough I might make a trip to visit the store. :)

Originally posted by eugenefl
Where about in Mississippi will you be located? I have some friends in Gulfport that I will be visiting in the spring of '05. If it's close enough I might make a trip to visit the store. :)

In 'lil ol' Kosciusko, MS, birthplace of Oprah (and me), about 65 miles north of Jackson, MS on the Natchez Trace, not very far from the geographic center of the state. A pretty good ways from Gulfport, though.

Congratulations on your ground breaking

I definately won't pass up the chance to visit your shop
If I am near that area.

Good luck with the business !

I bet if you came to town, being a descendant of Tadeusz, they would probably put you on parade and give you the key to the city. The local "officials" will do anything to get their picture in the paper, and that would be a great excuse for them.:D

Anything to make the day of Small Town America.
I tried to introduce myself to people in Pulaski Virginia since I'm related to him too.

They said "Ya mean PYOU-laski?"

Most of the Kosciuskos, Pulaskis and Furmanskis had been settled in or near Calumet City, IL, home of the Blues Brothers. Every wedding or funeral, several times a year, we'd get all 300 or 400 togther and have the same party with the same food. Even the same stainless steel fountain pumping mixed martinis was at both.

Wasn't there a quote that went somethiong like:

The best way to end up with a million dollars in the hobby business is to start out with ten million...?

Will all you sell is rocketry, or will you be a full line hobby shop?

Actually please add my best wishes for a smooth opening and a lifetime of rewarding work.

I just hope that the business does not take the joy of the hobby away from you. Kevin of Countdown Hobbies is one of the nicest guys I know, and it seemed he never got to fly.

Make sure you post a couple of pictures of the new store.

Good Luck and God Speed

OTOH - If you want to see a real beating, tool on over to RMR and look at the thrashing Kevin took when he announced the sale of Countdown.

Most of the Kosciuskos, Pulaskis and Furmanskis had been settled in or near Calumet City, IL, home of the Blues Brothers

I'm from Lansing, right next door to Cal City. Jake and Elwood were my playmates.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

OTOH - If you want to see a real beating, tool on over to RMR and look at the thrashing Kevin took when he announced the sale of Countdown.

Hmmm. I think there was a little more to it than that. More specifically, what he plans to do after countdown. I'll not post about it here, but it's all on google for anyone that cares to look. Look for the thread entitled "(AD) Countdown Hobbies Debt Elimination".

Originally posted by illini
I'm from Lansing, right next door to Cal City. Jake and Elwood were my playmates.

My mom grew up on School St. in Lansing.

I could have sworn either Lester Flatt or Earl Scruggs lived there, but their bios don't say that. One of some other famous bluegrass duo maybe?

"When yous from Da Region, yous strickly uppa crust."

Yes, it certainly caused a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but that's not uncommon on rmr.

If you go out in the rain in your socks, it is "not uncommon" for your feet to get wet.

I am constantly amazed by many people not catching on to the fact that despite acting on the belief that what they post is "just" on the net, they also act as if what they post matters.

Everyone needs a hobby.

My mom grew up on School St. in Lansing.

I could have sworn either Lester Flatt or Earl Scruggs lived there, but their bios don't say that. One of some other famous bluegrass duo maybe?

"When yous from Da Region, yous strickly uppa crust."

186th Street, myself. I've heard the same thing about either Flatt or Scruggs being from there. Harry Smith too... (CBS News...I'll bite my tongue here lest anything political slip out ;) ). Speaking of crust...can never go back there without stopping at the original Aurelio's Pizza in Homewood.

Originally posted by illini
186th Street, myself. I've heard the same thing about either Flatt or Scruggs being from there. Harry Smith too... (CBS News...I'll bite my tongue here lest anything political slip out ;) ). Speaking of crust...can never go back there without stopping at the original Aurelio's Pizza in Homewood.

For me it's White Castle. They sell frozen 'sliders' all over the states now, but they're so awful it's worse than none.

What's 'RMR"? Not that I want to see the thrashing, just curious...

The usenet newsgroup REC.MODELS.ROCKETS

If morbid curiosity gets the best of you, take a deep breath before you go ther. It is kind of a seamy underbelly.

BTW, I do not agree with the debt reduction schema that Kevin puts forth, What I was commenting on was the way people (ar some points) are attacking his faith. That and the fact that he simply announced the sale of his business. Tem some guy decided to dredge up old news and start poking at him again.

A

Newsgroups are like the subway walls of the internet
anybody can write what they want,sometimes it's enlightening
sometimes you just have to look the other way.

Originally posted by bcdlr
What's 'RMR"? Not that I want to see the thrashing, just curious...

https://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.models.rockets

Think of TRF without moderators and with people who enjoy doing those things that make other people appreciate moderators. Or think of a tank full of sharks with a constant inflow of blood flavored water that they've arranged for themselves. There was an article in WIRED about it. Some people there actually do discuss rocketry.

RMR, its like a bad crash, its horrible but for some reason your morbid curiosity compells you to look at it.:confused:

There are about 4 posters that have moved in and taken over. I do not know where they find the time for it. They rehash the same things over and over and over, every post is corrupted by the same people. Its funny because you can almost predict who will post what next. The post at all hours of the day none stop---for years! I do not know where they find time to work or even build a rocket.

But yes, saddly I still read it.

Scott

Wasn't there a quote that went somethiong like:

The best way to end up with a million dollars in the hobby business is to start out with ten million...?

Will all you sell is rocketry, or will you be a full line hobby shop?

Actually please add my best wishes for a smooth opening and a lifetime of rewarding work.

I just hope that the business does not take the joy of the hobby away from you. Kevin of Countdown Hobbies is one of the nicest guys I know, and it seemed he never got to fly.

Make sure you post a couple of pictures of the new store.

Good Luck and God Speed

I last seen that quote in Sport Rocketry in that article they did on vendor's and manufacturers experiences since they started their business. It also talked about them not having time anymore to actually enjoy the hobby because of their business. That article definitely struck a chord with me. I know exactly what they are talking about.

I plan on being just a rocketry shop. The guy I'm renting the space from actually has a hobby shop already (mostly R/C planes, he owns the whole building, there are a couple of other businesses there, too) He has just never gotten into rocketry and actually offered me the space when he found out from a friend how I was doing with my web business. I build computers on the side, so I thought I might build a "demonstrator" with lights and windows and such and maybe get a few sales from that, but I am and always will be a rocket man, even if I start selling sandwiches or something out of there:) Rocketry will be my focus.

I appreciate all the luck-wishing everyone has sent me through this post and emails. Who knows, maybe when there aren't any customers in there, I might actually get to build something;):):)

It's not on the main routes, but then Countdown wasn't really either, and lots of people made the trip.

I made the trip. Flew Continental from Manchester (UK) to Newark then drove up through NYC . Heck of a way to go for a few rocket parts :D

Good luck with your venture and I might call in one day - you never know.

After having stayed off RMR for several months. I decided to have a gander last night. After hearing all the stuff about Kevin of countdown hobbies. After giving the board its full due (A whole 45 minutes flushed down the crapper). I thought I was looking at the "Law review forum". I really have no Idea who Jerry irvine is. But it sounds like he has been a "Bad Human". :) Since I discovered last night that only about 10% of the posts actually have anyhthing to do with Rockets/Rocketry I decided to continue my absence for RMR. And in closing I would like to add two things about it.

1. The whole place needs an enema
2. They also need to add chlorine to most of the participants gene pools.

P.S To Rebar-Rocketry In spite of the fact we are online competitors I still wish you luck in your brick and mortar endeavor. Remember I said "Brick & Mortar" :D

"Uncle" Mike

Back