Big #2 Pencil

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgroupmike

Reaction score
Hi all. Well, here's my next rocket, an upscale Estes #2 Skywriter with a 29mm MMT in a 38mm body. The NC has been lightened, and since I cut the fin slots all the way to the aft end, I made a tool to hold the airframe in place while I glue the fins. This tool is simply three CR's; a 29-38, a 29-54, and a 38-54.

Originally posted by rocketgroupmike
Well, here's my next rocket, an upscale Estes #2 Skywriter with a 29mm MMT in a 38mm body.

Dang! That sucker's gonna SCREAM! Good luck gettin' it back! :p

Sounds like a fun build - keep us updated!

Jason

I used the band saw at work. It didn't come out perfect, so I bought a dremel set to fix up the alignment of the slots. (only one slot obviously needed it)

And now the MMT is in, and the Airframe tubes joined. This pic has the NC and 2 of 4 fins test-fit, so you can see my plan. Anyone know a good "eraser" color for the fins?

Looks good.

You could probably use a gloss pink, then cover it with several coats of dull-coat to make it work. I would spray over a flat black basecoat to further darken the color, and by time it's all said and done, you should be close enough.

Also, don't discount the possibility of using the small Testor's bottles (more color choice) and an airbrush to get the right color.

Jason

Anyone know a good "eraser" color for the fins?

You could try Plasti-Kote "Bouganvillea" - it's a pinkish red color. You can find it at Wal-Mart in the spray paint aisle by the Krylons. The Plasti-Kote sprays will all be together, and they are the short (Testor's sized) cans.

And now the MMT is in, and the Airframe tubes joined. This pic has the NC and 2 of 4 fins test-fit, so you can see my plan. Anyone know a good "eraser" color for the fins?

Please note that the original has white rectangular fins, with the 'eraser' at the end of the body tube immediately above the fins.

Well, ok, a semi-upscale... Since I am not bound by Estes' manufacturing processes, (to color the white fins would be an extra step for Estes, but for me to make mine white would be an extra step... one more color to paint) my pencil will have eraser-colored fins. Ryan, so far I've always flown with Frontier Rocketry in Halifax, but in the summer it seems to be a pain because of all the vegetables. So tell me about the CMASS field.

Well, ok, a semi-upscale... Since I am not bound by Estes' manufacturing processes, (to color the white fins would be an extra step for Estes, but for me to make mine white would be an extra step... one more color to paint) my pencil will have eraser-colored fins. Ryan, so far I've always flown with Frontier Rocketry in Halifax, but in the summer it seems to be a pain because of all the vegetables. So tell me about the CMASS field.

I used to fly with frontier alot. I would just hang out at the commercial launches, I didnt really know what was going on. Then some events took place and I dont really frequent that feild anymore, just like a lot of people. CMASS' feild is okay, compared to the frontier feild however, it is puny and insignificant. The people at CMASS are great though, and the launches are the best in terms of organization. I dont fly much there anymore, but I still go to hang out.

there are no veggies, just hay, thats right no pumkins like frontier ;)

And now I've filled the spiral and attached the fins. Fin fillets are almost done, then comes the aft CR and motor retainer. Should I go with Aeropack or Slimline? (and why?)

I like them both alot, but the aeropack a little more just because you dont need the tool.

I'm leaning toward the Aeropack, partly because of previous experience with the product... First Rate!

There was a thread on here a while back about a homemede PVC motor retainer... costs maybe a buck and a half. I'd use that.

by the looks of the business end, that thing is gonna scoot, I remember the post about the cheap PVC retainers

Back