Bezos to Fly on Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, I would pack some chips, crackers and bottles of soda pop in my suitcase and junk out for 8 days.
Save $16K while clogging my arteries in zero G.
Oh wait, they have a treadmill up there right?
😁

Last edited:
If New Shepard is in the $millions range then it's a none player. WAY too much for a 10 min flight as spam in a can.

Virgin is too expensive at $250K! So over a mil to go just a little bit higher? Nope.

For these to be a viable commercial business the price needs to be down in the $50-70K range. $25K would be even better.

An off the top of my head WAG, to justify $250K, a net worth of over $5Mil would probably be required.
How many people have that net worth AND want to go to "Space" for 5 min, AND have a significant other
that would let them go.

What is Virgins break even point? 25 passengers per month? 50?

I would think Virgins overhead is way less than BO, but again thats just a guess.

If New Shepard is in the $millions range then it's a none player. WAY too much for a 10 min flight as spam in a can.

Virgin is too expensive at $250K! So over a mil to go just a little bit higher? Nope.

For these to be a viable commercial business the price needs to be down in the $50-70K range. $25K would be even better.

An off the top of my head WAG, to justify $250K, a net worth of over $5Mil would probably be required.
How many people have that net worth AND want to go to "Space" for 5 min, AND have a significant other
that would let them go.

What is Virgins break even point? 25 passengers per month? 50?

I would think Virgins overhead is way less than BO, but again thats just a guess.
How many people have a supercar that they never drive? There's your target audience.

How many people have a supercar that they never drive? There's your target audience.

Good point,

But the point of having a supercar is having people be able to experience it while you lord it over them.
Your minions/friends can see it, touch it, maybe even go on a ride with you in it. All you can do with a "space" flight is talk about and show a photo or two of it. Not really the same.

I Did a lap of the Nurburgring with a professional race car driver a few years ago. I have photo's and a video, but hardly ever look at them or show them to others. They just are not interested.

Heh. I have a client who has a Lamborghini garage separate from his regular garage. He did well in fishing.

Seriously, I think the big difference between the Virgin Galactic/Blue Origin flights and prior space tourism flights to the ISS is the level of training. As I understand it, the VG/BO flights are basically a week's commitment from start to finish. Also AIUI, the tourism flights to the ISS required 3-6 months of training. That's a waaaay higher bar for someone who wants to go on a space vacation.

I do believe that space hops will eventually be like transatlantic air travel. Originally only for the elites, it's become accessible to pretty much everyone. Once the billionaires have punched their ticket, they'll drop prices so that millionaires can go. That'll make it down to my tax bracket sometime, though I'm not signing up.

Heh. I have a client who has a Lamborghini garage separate from his regular garage.
This guy has a Lamborghini dock:
1626879118681.png
A certain highly paid athlete announced yesterday that his Lamborghini yacht was ready.
Purchased last October for 2.6 million Euros. That's over $3 mill.
He recently suffered a devastating and possibly career ending leg injury.
Talk about retail therapy.
Could have taken 12 of his friends to "space" for that money.

Last edited:
From space.com:

Oregon congressman proposes new space tourism tax

U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) plans to introduce legislation called the Securing Protections Against Carbon Emissions (SPACE) Tax Act, which would impose new excise taxes on space tourism trips.

"Space exploration isn't a tax-free holiday for the wealthy. Just as normal Americans pay taxes when they buy airline tickets, billionaires who fly into space to produce nothing of scientific value should do the same, and then some," Blumenauer said in a statement issued by his office.

"I'm not opposed to this type of space innovation," added Blumenauer, a senior member of the House of Representatives' Ways and Means Committee. "However, things that are done purely for tourism or entertainment, and that don't have a scientific purpose, should in turn support the public good."

From space.com:

Oregon congressman proposes new space tourism tax

U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) plans to introduce legislation called the Securing Protections Against Carbon Emissions (SPACE) Tax Act, which would impose new excise taxes on space tourism trips.

"Space exploration isn't a tax-free holiday for the wealthy. Just as normal Americans pay taxes when they buy airline tickets, billionaires who fly into space to produce nothing of scientific value should do the same, and then some," Blumenauer said in a statement issued by his office.

"I'm not opposed to this type of space innovation," added Blumenauer, a senior member of the House of Representatives' Ways and Means Committee. "However, things that are done purely for tourism or entertainment, and that don't have a scientific purpose, should in turn support the public good."
Bezos rocket uses liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. 0 carbon emissions from it.

Bezos rocket uses liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. 0 carbon emissions from it.

I'd expect that there's a pretty significant carbon footprint in making the fuel, at least in liquefying it. It's possible that they use solar and wind power in West Texas, but there's a lot of oil and gas used down there too.

I'd expect that there's a pretty significant carbon footprint in making the fuel, at least in liquefying it. It's possible that they use solar and wind power in West Texas, but there's a lot of oil and gas used down there too.

H2 can/could be made from water with a clean power source, but is most often made from fossil methane.
https://phys.org/news/2014-06-theoretical-chemists-experimentalists-efficient-production.htmltheoreticalc.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_reforming

I would have thought that the USPS would have converted their delivery trucks to electric long ago.
Probably save millions in gas every day.
Maybe they're already too strapped financially to do it.

I would have thought that the USPS would have converted their delivery trucks to electric long ago.
Probably save millions in gas every day.
Maybe they're already too strapped financially to do it.

I can't believe that people think hybrids and electric vehicles are a new idea. Britain had electric milk delivery trucks in the 1960s and cars with magnetic drivetrains were around in the 1920s. The Owen Magnetic is classed as a hybrid (according to Wikipedia at least). Jay Leno owns one (of everything) ...

BTW, Gene Cernan still holds the Lunar Speed Record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Magnetic

Back