Beware of FB Marketplace "N. Canterbury" He got me for $80.00

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobie1dog

Sea Killer rocket
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On Facebook Marketplace there is a seller who has been advertising Estes rocket motors and he got me for $80 as we had decent communication but there was always an excuse as to why he could not ship the things out claiming that the post office would not ship them. Then said he was going to mail them out the next morning by UPS so it's been since November 7th and I haven't seen a thing. I put down on my PayPal that it was for personal instead of "services and goods", PayPal will not do anything about it and they said that I should go to my bank which I called and they said they wouldn't do anything as all they did was give PayPal the extra money that came out of my checking account with backed up my PayPal so I'm basically telling everybody this so that you don't make the mistake that I did and list something has personal instead of goods and services. The guy lives in Charleston, West Virginia but Facebook Marketplace finally took down his ad today so I don't know how many other people he got in the process. and $80 is a lot of money to me at this point in my life living on Social Security and I thought I was going to be able to get a pretty good-sized box of engines that my grandsons could shoot off, but instead I was the one that got shot. :mad:

Sorry to hear about that. Yes, you never never never use friends and family for commercial transactions; Paypal won't help you at all.

Sorry that happened to you, Honestly with facebook marketplace or even graigslist I will never SHIP and only deal with cash in person only. This way much less chance of getting burned.

There's always the one part of me which thinks that most human beings are decent honest people and it's always shoved in the back of my mind about all of the corrupt dishonest people in the world, as I normally don't come in contact with them on a regular basis so I naturally trusted this guy and it was too good to be true.

There's always the one part of me which thinks that most human beings are decent honest people and it's always shoved in the back of my mind about all of the corrupt dishonest people in the world, as I normally don't come in contact with them on a regular basis so I naturally trusted this guy and it was too good to be true.
A lot of people are but when some hide behind a screen then sometimes all bets are off. Far too many out there who will rip you off and not bat a eye over it

It sucks that someone who possibly is involved in the hobby would do that. Sorry about you getting hit like that.

Do you have his physical address or know what city he lives in? About 15 years ago, some d-bag on RC Groups scammed me. I reported it to hos local police department. I got my money back.

Do you have his physical address or know what city he lives in? About 15 years ago, some d-bag on RC Groups scammed me. I reported it to hos local police department. I got my money back.

Classic!

If I had his address, I would start sending him magazine subscriptions (Fill out the card that comes in every mag, even 'stealing' a few from 'questionable' ones... Then he gets all the 'credit due' notices) sign him up for 'free samples' of Depends, Preparation H, etc.. Anything to flood his address / mail box with "embarrassing junk"..

No address as Paypal doesn't give that out and I don't know how many people live in Charleston, W.Va. who have the last name of Canterbury to guess which name it is as he likely lives in his parents house. The name he used on Facebook is Nick Canterbury and the payment went to Franklin Canterbury (likely his Dad?). Typical FB photo of him pulling his shirt up showing off his 6 pack Abs telling everyone "Look at my woman-getting body as I'm the envy of every man on here." Doing the selfie in the mirror. But he obviously removed everything now on Facebook and wiped out all of his remarks in the conversation we had through Messanger, only my text shows up now.

Last edited:
But he obviously removed everything now on Facebook and wiped out all of his remarks in the conversation

Facebook still has those posts and messages, and the police can access them if the situation is right.
Transactions crossing state lines may involve FBI and his parents would probably pony up quickly.

No address as Paypal doesn't give that out and I don't know how many people live in Charleston, W.Va. who have the last name of Canterbury to guess which name it is as he likely lives in his parents house. The name he used on Facebook is Nick Canterbury and the payment went to Franklin Canterbury (likely his Dad?). Typical FB photo of him pulling his shirt up showing off his 6 pack Abs telling everyone "Look at my woman-getting body as I'm the envy of every man on here." Doing the selfie in the mirror. But he obviously removed everything now on Facebook and wiped out all of his remarks in the conversation we had through Messanger, only my text shows up now.
I recommend you go ahead and contact the Charleston police. You have nothing to lose.

I recommend you go ahead and contact the Charleston police. You have nothing to lose.
I tried calling them 3 times yesterday and could never talk to anybody, just answering directories, so I left a message for someone to call me back.

Could always take the Mark Rober approach and send embarrassing mail to their neighbors' address but in their name!
https://youtu.be/a_TSR_v07m0?t=690

But sounds like you've located them, police involvement should scare them enough to return your money.

Classic!

If I had his address, I would start sending him magazine subscriptions (Fill out the card that comes in every mag, even 'stealing' a few from 'questionable' ones... Then he gets all the 'credit due' notices) sign him up for 'free samples' of Depends, Preparation H, etc.. Anything to flood his address / mail box with "embarrassing junk"..

Unfortunately there are several common factors in this story that might have been tipoffs:
  1. Request to send via friends and family to someone who is neither. As you have learned that comes with no protection.
  2. Offer to send rocket motors via USPS and then UPS. Although small motors can be sent via US mail it’s a bit of a process. Rocket motors may not be sent via UPS or FedEx except as hazmat.
  3. I don’t know how many motors you thought you’d get for your $80, but I suspect it was almost too good to be true.
There are lots of people out there who target people who are looking for deals. I’m very sorry for what you’re going through.

Unfortunately there are several common factors in this story that might have been tipoffs:
  1. Request to send via friends and family to someone who is neither. As you have learned that comes with no protection.
  2. I don’t know how many motors you thought you’d get for your $80, but I suspect it was almost too good to be true.
1. I was the one who mistakenly used the friends option.
2. I counted about 60+ motors in the photos.

Like Steve mentions, shipping motors is a no-no unless you have filed extensive paperwork that is unlikely to be done by anyone other than actual commercial stores. So, anyone (aside from stores and bona fide online vendors) claiming they can ship them either is bogus or would be doing so in violation of the regulations. Run!

I wish you every success applying pressure to get your money back.

If you don't get a timely response through their PD, you can file a complaint through the FBI internet crime center. They will review it and send it to the authority having jurisdiction.

Ic3.gov

Don't give up. That is what these people want you to do. They will keep scamming people over and over until someone stops them. Good luck.

If you don't get a timely response through their PD, you can file a complaint through the FBI internet crime center. They will review it and send it to the authority having jurisdiction.

Ic3.gov
I tried that site 10 or so years ago and got ZERO response/ or results. No one from the PD has called me back. :mad:

You will find that $80 isn't much to even put two hours worth of investigative work on. No law Enforcement agency will waste valuable and now limited resources on such a low cost crime. I had $155. in credit card fraud, no police or FBI cared. Said it was too small to bother with. Had an employer not honor a $700 payroll check and couldn't get Labor Department, cops, no one to bother with it. This is why we see looters getting away with **** and smash and grab thieves, cops are useless now days. But even if they do the work most prosecutors drop the charges or plea bargain it to nothing. Department labor costs so much the cops really only have time to go after the big stuff. Sucks for us victims, but welcome to the cash-strapped "Defund" the Police, new Liberal Nation.

You will find that $80 isn't much to even put two hours worth of investigative work on. No law Enforcement agency will waste valuable and now limited resources on such a low cost crime. I had $155. in credit card fraud, no police or FBI cared. Said it was too small to bother with.
Very true, I just wanted to let the police know of his activity. They will likely tell me zero about his activities. This is the pattern of most of my life, endless disappointments, since birth, and won't ever stop. So much injustice, overwhelming to think about. ENDLESS crime, death, disease, corruption, filth, poverty, starvation, destruction, suffering, and no one really seems to care. The people who can change things in high places are too busy amassing their wealth, selfishly trying to get to the imaginary top. The people on the bottom are just struggling by to survive. The criminals are scraping off the trimmings wherever they can. 🙁 Too GD depressing to think about the possibility of it continuing to get worse every year.

Very true, I just wanted to let the police know of his activity. They will likely tell me zero about his activities. This is the pattern of most of my life, endless disappointments, since birth, and won't ever stop. So much injustice, overwhelming to think about. ENDLESS crime, death, disease, corruption, filth, poverty, starvation, destruction, suffering, and no one really seems to care. The people who can change things in high places are too busy amassing their wealth, selfishly trying to get to the imaginary top. The people on the bottom are just struggling by to survive. The criminals are scraping off the trimmings wherever they can. 🙁 Too GD depressing to think about the possibility of it continuing to get worse every year.
So true, both political parties lie and pretend to care about the citizens and the country but all they care about is getting richer. What we need to happen is the scenario of the TV show "Designated Survivor" to really clean out those SOB's.

So true, both political parties lie and pretend to care about the citizens and the country but all they care about is getting richer. What we need to happen is the scenario of the TV show "Designated Survivor" to really clean out those SOB's.

How sick to want a national disaster of that kind? Another 9/11 style tragedy, but one that is a direct assault on our sovereignty as a nation?

There's really no need for that when term limits are already built in.....they're called elections. Want to change things, then use your voice for change, not to endorse tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back