Beta Testers Wanted!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I need a few good rocketeers!
I have some designs coming up that need testing. When i say testing, I mean taking a kit from "bag open" to "first flight".

I will ship the kit to you for free, and you get to keep it once it's built and the test is completed. Each kit does come with a few requirements.
1.) Kit turn-around should be between 2-2.5 weeks from reciept of kit to test report (which is basically a ten question sheet).

2.) Kit must be flown for test to be completed.

3.) 2-3 pictures of the test Rocket (jpeg) should be sent along with report, all of which should be e-mailed. The photos should be of the rocket Static, on launch pad and one with the tester. The last one is optional.

4.) I would like to reserve the right to use the photos in the future and will give credit to any and all that wish it.

5.) I will match the test rocket with your skill level

If you are interested, please feel free to e-mail me at
[email protected]

Thank you all so far!!

Please don't forget to include your name and address when e-mailing.

Also, if there is something you DON"T want to build let me know as well!

Thanks again,
John

John,

Yea, free rockets!

I bet THAT was a hard position to fill!:rolleyes:

LOL!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
John,

Yea, free rockets!

I bet THAT was a hard position to fill!:rolleyes:

LOL!

sandman

It's an easy position to get volunteers, but a little harder to get good builders sometimes.

Squirrel Works has a beta test program as well. We sometimes get some 'interesting' feedback from our testers.

We had one builder suggest we go to TTW fin mounts on one of the kits. An interesting idea, but sort of useless on the minimum diameter kit he was testing at the time. :confused:

I had a couple of guys that volunteered but I had to stop using them. I gave them kits in September and I'm still waiting on their reports. :kill:

One tester reported that our Space Ranger didn't hit the expected altitudes on A motors. When I looked at his build up, he had fiberglassed it.

Oh well, at least it's entertaining if not informative.

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
We had one builder suggest we go to TTW fin mounts on one of the kits. An interesting idea, but sort of useless on the minimum diameter kit he was testing at the time. :confused:

What!? You would have thought that he would have noticed that it was MINIMUM DIAMETER! LOL!

I had a couple of guys that volunteered but I had to stop using them. I gave them kits in September and I'm still waiting on their reports. :kill:

Whoa...were they complex kits or something? Even if it was a very complex kit, it shouldn't take more than two months! :confused:

One tester reported that our Space Ranger didn't hit the expected altitudes on A motors. When I looked at his build up, he had fiberglassed it.

LOL...that's CRAZY!

Jason

If you need a good beta tester... I know somebody that can help.... me :D :kill:

Lets See, my Rocketry Resume includes the following people I Beta Tested for:

Art Applewhite
LOC Precission
Fliskits
PICO Altimeters
J.A.P. Systems
and more...

Oh... and I get first peek at a lot of Aerotech, AMW, and Estes motors... a benefit of being in S&T :D

You sure had some crazy beta testers Secret Squirrel! Maybe I'm misinformed, or disillusioned, but I would think that beta-testing would be by the instructions , and then after testing the product, the tester would then describe how well the rocket fit together, how well the instructions are written, and critique its flights. After some test runs, make a few suggestions on how you think a kit can be improved. If you want to modify a kit, I would think the decent thing to do would be to buy the production model once it's released, not mess with the beta model!!! Okay, enough spewing venom from me. I'll play nice again! :D But you have my sympathy Secret Squirrel!

Originally posted by TheRadiator
Y I would think that beta-testing would be by the instructions , and then after testing the product, the tester would then describe how well the rocket fit together, how well the instructions are written, and critique its flights. After some test runs, make a few suggestions on how you think a kit can be improved.

That's exactly what we're looking for from beta tests. We want to make sure the kit is builder friendly and performs properly.

Some of our beta testers have been mostly into HPR. I think they sometimes see model rockets as miniature versions of HPR birds, so they use the same building styles.

We have recruited a new beta builder from TRF recently. From what I've seen in his photos and posts, I think we'll be getting good feedback and further improving out kits.

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
It's an easy position to get volunteers, but a little harder to get good builders sometimes.

Well, one thing I learned to follow in the Air Force is "directions." Attention to detail and conform to guidelines - yep, that's my resume in a nutshell. Besides, it's a vendor product on the line. Sign me up. I'd do your product right!

Originally posted by TheRadiator
You sure had some crazy beta testers Secret Squirrel! Maybe I'm misinformed, or disillusioned, but I would think that beta-testing would be by the instructions , and then after testing the product, the tester would then describe how well the rocket fit together, how well the instructions are written, and critique its flights. After some test runs, make a few suggestions on how you think a kit can be improved. If you want to modify a kit, I would think the decent thing to do would be to buy the production model once it's released, not mess with the beta model!!! Okay, enough spewing venom from me. I'll play nice again! :D But you have my sympathy Secret Squirrel!

That is what a beta test is. To take what's there and follow the path, make notes and report on it. make sufggestions as well. The reason I am using Beta program is becasue I do all of this on my own and sometimes I get to close and make to many assumptions. So...have someone else build it and see what happens!:D

I'm with Eugeno on the instructions.
I used to be an aircraft mechanic & spent 95% of my time working on helicopters(all civilian) including component overhaul.
One thing you learn in that industry is following the instructions by the letter in exact sequence even if it's the 50th time you've done it. The FAA frowns on imagination!

Beta testing sounds easy, but a big consideration has to be how often you can actually manage to get out and fly. Building the actual rockets is rarely a problem. Working flight time into the schedule is the hard part. In the past year rocketry has taken a back seat to soccer, basketball, baby showers, weddings, work and WEATHER. (Mostly weather.) I've got 12 reviews finished and waiting for flights, but I haven't flown since November.

Yup, dealing with governement agencies can teach one how to follow instructions to the letter. I'm not a military man, or an aircraft mechanic, but I did do some work with the North Carolina DMV for a while, when I was in college. Like the FAA, imagination doesn't need to be on your resume! In the DMV, you need all of your ducks in a row, or your toast!

Fishhead is right, getting to fly (or paint) can be a problem if your weather doesn't cooperate. However, being in North Carolina can spare you a lot of that headache!! :D It's no Florida, but it is a bit more temperate down here than other places. Where I live, wind is more of a problem than anything. But that can be dealt with most of the time!

I've never Beta-tested for any rocketry based company before, but for the last 2 years I've Beta tested for EA Sports and the Tiger Woods series of Golf simulations. In part, following directions to a tee (pun intended) is what they expect, and with any beta program, no matter the genre, that needs to be done.

Heck, I even recieved a brand new CPU from EA for my work helping them, and am one of their Community leader's.

Beta testing for Rocketery has to be considered one of the best things when deciding to produce a kit, simply because thats the only way you'll know if the instructions and kit live up to the quality and ease that your expecting.

At least thats my take on it,

Cheers,

I too, have done some software beta testing, for a variety of companies. Most of them, however, don't want me to strictly follow the directions. They say to do that first, then to start intentionally NOT following directions to see if it's possible to break their software.

When it comes to rocketry, however, following directions is pretty much required, since launch failures tend to be the frequent result of not building a rocket according to the design specs.

And on the note of weather, SoCal desert kicks some serious hiney as far as being good almost year round. Actually, the winter months are the best because it's not as hot. There's hardly any wind any time of the year, and usually rain isn't even a consideration. Gotta love the desert!

WW

I guess you have to develop a test program around your objective. I think one my objectives is relatively simple. Take a "kit" and build it as you would if you bought it. I have to assume that since I have included directions, that they were followed because that is one of the objectives and reasons for the test...to see whether or not the directions were both logical and comprehensive. If at the end of the test, the subject chose to jump 1/3 of the directions, knowing why would be explored and then conclusions drawn. Then it's just a matter of either changing the directions, or changing the test subject etc.
:D

SOooooooooo..........

For those of us that have signed up (and hopefully been accepted!!) for this "beta testing" program: Do you have any hints to drop about the "test subjects?"

:D

Well.........

Don't let anyone know I told you this........

But, confidentially...........

They're rockets.

:p

Everytime I build and fly a new kit I have built, I am beta testing it.... for myself of course.....heheheh

I won't say who...I'll let them decide whether they want to own up to it. But I will show you the first rocket that started it's test phase today...

make mine a double!

Double Up!

It might be a while until I get back to you. My e-mail server is down and they hope to get it up soon.

Tom

Thank you John & N3tjm for asking for our help with your projects. I really appreciate any opportunity to help a company improve their product - no matter the genre.

Cheers,

Well, I am not really the one to go to for beta-testing. With any LPR kit I go with the non-reccomended glue (if its white glue, I use CA or epoxy, if its wood glue, ditto). Its just a normal reaction. Heck, I put epoxy fillets on a micro-scale IQSY Tomahawk for cryin out loud:eek: ! Go with doug. He has a goooooood resume;)

I already have *MY* beta-tester picked out for my new kit.... (Im really hoping *he* will give me a good name for the rocket... I still havent decided...:kill: )

Back