Best Web Resource For Buying Supplies

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by stouffer, Oct 16, 2002.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2002 #1

stouffer

stouffer

stouffer

I guess my wife would say that I am going through my second childhood but I have recently re-discovered the joy of model rocketry. I bought an all-in-one Estes kit a few weeks back just to become familiar with what I had not played with for 15 years. I've had a lot of fun (along with a friend of mine that also likes the occasional smell of burning rocket engines) but I am ready to start building my own rockets.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best online stores for buying rockets kits and components? Thanks.

Jim

2. Oct 16, 2002 #2

MarkABrown

MarkABrown

MarkABrown

3. Oct 16, 2002 #3

swimmer

swimmer

swimmer

Stouffer,

Second childhoods can be a lot of fun, especially if it includes rocketry!!

Swimmer:D

4. Oct 16, 2002 #4

Dean

Dean

Dean

I've used a number of places with good results. I can recommend all of the following

(precede all with "http:\\www.")

hobbylinc.com
    discountrocketry.com
    ehobbies.com
    performancehobbies.com

There's Magnum, mentioned above...

ncphobbies.com sometimes has older, oop kits.

greatlakeshobbies.com carries a few lines with very good prices

Don't fail to check out apogeerockets.com. Tim sells his own kits, as well as many components, the RockSim software package, and offers plenty of educational material for free download.

You ought to go to pratthobbies.com, if only to get Kevlar cord and chute protectors (which you will need). Loads of other good stuff there too.

You should also bookmark rocketreviews.com; its a very valuable resource. You'll spend a bunch of time there...

..and you should check out buyrockets.com. It will lead you to many other sites.

Of course, don't neglect your local hobby shop. They usually charge a bit more but they don't charge for shipping and we need to keep these guys around, and interested in rockets.

5. Oct 16, 2002 #5

stouffer

stouffer

stouffer

You've got to be kidding me! I live in Ohio and drive through Mechanicsburg and I pass Magnum Rockets everyday. I was telling the friend of mine about this little store I pass everyday in a small town. I'll have to stop in and talk to the owner sometime.

6. Oct 16, 2002 #6

Weekends

Weekends

Weekends

7. Oct 16, 2002 #7

PGerringer

PGerringer

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck

LOL, go Stouffer!!! Every rocketeer must make the pilgramidge. And when you meet Ross, tell him the guys at the Forum say Hi... :D

8. Oct 16, 2002 #8

bmhiii

bmhiii

bmhiii

I , like you and many others, I've found my way back into model rocketry also and am having a blast!

I've done business with both www.valueland.com and www.hobbylinc.com with great satisfaction.

You'll also want to check out a lot of the other sites mentioned also.

AND, keep coming back to this forum. I have just recently found this place and have enjoyed every moment! I've asked questions and received good, quick answers. All the TRF people are super!

And let me beat Jim to the punch... try
    http://fliskits.com/. Jim owns the place and you'll see him on this forum all the time. Where else can you speak to the boss!!??

Have a blast !!!

bmhiii

:D

9. Oct 16, 2002 #9

stouffer

stouffer

stouffer

You've got to be kidding me! I live in Ohio and drive through Mechanicsburg and I pass Magnum Rockets everyday. I was telling the friend of mine about this little store I pass everyday in a small town. I'll have to stop in and talk to the owner sometime.

10. Oct 16, 2002 #10

KenParker

KenParker

KenParker

Yeah, all the various places that people have listed are good sources.

And, as Phil the Gerringer said, when you stop in at Magnum Rockets, say "Hi!" to Ross Dunton from the guys at TRF - Ken, Mark, Phil, and Carl.

Carl Tulanko, another moderator here on the forum, lives in Cincy. He flies at a couple of places - one in Cincy, and the other is the Mid-Ohio groups field which is within a few miles of the Magnum Rockets hobby shop.

Don't hesitate to go to an HPR (High Power Rocketry) launch. I've never been to one that didn't launch ALL sizes of rockets from A impulse all the way up to M (or more). You'll find that you will have a blast, meet some great people, learn a lot, and..... get the fever even WORSE than you may have it now !!!!

I think you'll find out that the options and possibilities in model rocketry today are absolutely endless and imminently addicting.

We're here to help. Glad to have you aboard.
    - Ken

11. Oct 17, 2002 #11

jflis

jflis

jflis

Thank You! :)

I was *wonderin'* if someone was gonna mention us! *S*

12. Oct 18, 2002 #12

Fishhead

Fishhead

Fishhead

Since you mentioned your Ohioness (Ohiohood?):
    www.quarkers.org
    We fly north of Cincinnati at the old Voice Of America site.

13. Oct 18, 2002 #13

Austin

Austin

Austin

OMG...Fishhead...your Name Trailer...Too much information! ;)

Stouffer,

A BIG welcome to you back to the hobby. Most of the good shopping places have already been listed and I cannot believe you have been by Magnum Rockets and never went inside. Ross actually has one of the largest stores in the country and he has really good prices too...it's a must see. I like the place because it reminds me of one of those old style hardware stores, kinda dark, stuff everwhere and it takes hours to go through and see everything stuffed in all the little nooks & crannies. You gotta stop in...

That being said, I have to back up Fishhead/Bill, who is one of our more dedicated fliers at our local NAR QUARK club, about our club that he mentioned. As a matter of fact, we are having a HPR launch this weekend at the VOA field in Westchester, just north of Cincinnati. Use the URL he gave to get directions if you decide to come...it's alot of fun! We also have a member going for his Level 2 high power certification possibly this Sunday, which will be a site to see.

My turn for another plug...since you know where Magnum is, one of the oldest and largest HPR (High Power Rocketry) organizations in that area is Tripoli Mid Ohio!!! As a matter of fact, Ross is the founder of the club and we have our flying season starting in two weeks, the weekend of November 2- 3. I HIGHLY recommend you make this launch as you will see many of the QUARK members from Cincinnati there, along with other fliers from all over the region. That first TMO launch is AWESOME!!! Guys come out of the woodwork and fly everything from sport to the largest "M" motors they have been saving just for the occasion! You haven't lived until you "feel" one of these launch, and there should be several...just because there always are on TMO opening day. More info can be found at www.tripolimidohio.org .

Once again, I want to welcome you back to the hobby...the fun has just begun! :)

Carl Tulanko
    Cincinnati, Ohio

14. Oct 18, 2002 #14

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Does anyone know anything about http://www.discounthobbycenter.com?

I tried placing an order last night but it bounced and said that their mail box was full so I tried calling them this morning and the number is not in service.

15. Oct 18, 2002 #15

kgholloway

kgholloway

kgholloway

Malestrom,

I've ordered from them in the past, but not recently. Their prices are low but they seem to take an inordinate time to get an order out the door. Since I'm an impatient type "A" personality I switched to Magnum, Giant Leap, and Pratt Hobbies as my mail order suppliers and Great Lakes Hobbies as my "drop in" store since it's only 50 miles from where I live.

Ken Holloway, NAR #78336, l-1

16. Oct 19, 2002 #16

KermieD

KermieD

KermieD

I concur. My experience with discount hobby center has been poor. Your order probably went through, but won't ship for some time unless you call to confirm. You should be able to find them through InfoSeek or some sort of yellow pages site. They still have a phone, but never bothered to update the site (by the way, the number has been changed for well over half a year now). Great prices, but poor customer service. I'd suggest not trying to cancel the order either. I tried to do that over the phone when I got the "mailbox full" thing on the site. They promised they'd cancel the order, but shipped the thing anyway. Oh, well..it was the Binder Design Sentinel that I so love now. :D

17. Oct 19, 2002 #17

jadam

jadam

jadam

18. Oct 19, 2002 #18

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Ahh, I read the site a little more and found their "new" number but their contact page(which I looked at first) has the old number. I'll try calling them on Monday. It's disappointing to hear that they are slow since their site says they normally have everything they list in stock and they ship same day.

19. Oct 21, 2002 #19

Fishhead

Fishhead

Fishhead

Carl,
    Would you prefer "nude"?:p

20. Oct 21, 2002 #20

jflis

jflis

jflis

Fishhead, you should change it to "nekid" *EG*

You see, "naked" means ya gots no clothes on...

"nekid' means ya gots no clothes on, but yer doin' somthin'.... :D

21. Oct 21, 2002 #21

Fishhead

Fishhead

Fishhead

It's also more Kentucky-ish. :D