Best way to paint rocket that has rail buttons?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I haven't painted a rocket that has rail buttons on it yet. What is the best way to prime/paint the rocket without painting the buttons? It occurred to me that the best way would have been to drill the holes for the buttons but NOT epoxy the backer/stud into the body until AFTER the priming/painting, but since I've already epoxied them in place...

Remove the buttons and somehow cover up the exposed stud? Leave the buttons in place and tape them up somehow?

I've plugged the holes with a little cylinder of tape. I also taped around the first set that I glued on permanently. Both seemed to work fine.

If the buttons aren't removable, just wrap them with tape, as noted above. You can let a little bit of the base of the button get paint. It makes a more seamless paint job and won't affect the performance of the button (but, don't get pain near the channel or the top part of the button that goes in the rail).

If they are removeable, I got tired of trying to cover the threads with tape, sanding around screws, installing plugs, etc. I just paint over the hole and clean out the threads with a tap after I am done painting. Considering the amount of times I need to sand between primer, color and clear coats, it is just a lot easier to spend about 30 seconds at the end tapping out the paint.

Spitfire, yes, I think I am going to try your method of removing the buttons and taping up the posts.

Next time, I will think ahead more and just put the holes in and add the buttons+posts AFTER painting is complete, then glue in the rear centering ring (access to the rear button post, etc).

Mine aren't removable. One could mask with tape, sometimes you can find a plastic straw that will fit tightly over the button. Or, like I'm doing now - paint over the button, and clean it off after.

Mine aren't removable. One could mask with tape, sometimes you can find a plastic straw that will fit tightly over the button. Or, like I'm doing now - paint over the button, and clean it off after.
+2. Since my rockets earn their paint, this is usually the only way.

Easiest and quickest method?
Use the screw that comes with the button, turn to depth it will work if it were in the button. If you're worried about painting threads that will be inside the button, tape them up.
If you tape them up you're over-thinking the paint process. LOL

I like my buttons removable so I can replace them if/when they crack/wear out and also remove them for paint.
Agreed, as they do wear out. I've had to replace several over the years. One time fairly recently I was putting the rocket on the rail and one button wasn't holding....it had worn or partially broken off. Glad I found that before launching. Fortunately, mine are removable so I was able to borrow one at the launch, replace it, and then successfully launch.

Mount buttons normally. When ready to paint, remove button and insert screw just a tad deeper than it will be with the button. Paint your rocket and the screw head will match the body color. If you use so much paint that it won't fit the button, mask off the screw threads with tape or use a different screw.

Back