Best way to get labels off AT SU motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I picked up a few AT SU 29mm motors from a friend, but they won't slide into the MMTs on any of my MPR rockets. It is quite obviously the labels causing the problem.

Do folks know of a good way to remove the labels without damaging the motor? Can I just steam them off?

Thanks.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
Steam is a good idea - a heat gun would probably work great, but would not be terribly safe. If there is adhesive left after peeling the warm labels, "Goof Off" brand gunk remover works great.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Steam is a good idea - a heat gun would probably work great, but would not be terribly safe. If there is adhesive left after peeling the warm labels, "Goof Off" brand gunk remover works great.
Hmm, never tried this, but what if I just applied the Goof Off over the entire label? Would it seep through and loosen the glue underneath?

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use an Exacto knife, and simply scrape them off in slices from end to end. It only takes a minute.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
When I've run into that issue, I've simply peeled them off with my finger nails. Usually it was when I was trying to get something prepped onsite, so I had minimal tools to anything else with.

Brent

Reaction score
Be sure to get the residue off. I don't burn many single use but I have had an issue with the motor being hard to remove because the heat warming the glue from the label up and then sticking to the motor tube. Acetone would probably remove it.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that you might have in the field box that does a decent job of removing label adhesive is the liquid spray CA Accelerator.

Not quite as good as acetone, but does well at making the stuff go away. Might take two-three applications and a couple of paper towels.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case there's a question at the safety check table, take a picture of the motor with label before you remove it. If you do it at home, make some kind of marking on the naked motor so you remember what you've got; less of a problem if you field strip it.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Scrape with your favorite scraper, then acetone wash. I have also experienced the "joy" trying to remove a case with heated label glue residue post-flight. Many bad words and a banged-up motor tube were the result.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
I use a paint scraper followed by acetone. It's a 30 second job with the right tools.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I feel very confident I can get these off now. Good stuff!

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
Good ole WD-40 will remove the sticky stuff if applied to a rag, held against the "goo" and then rubbed. Ronsonol (old-school lighter fluid) works well also.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I usually tear them off carefully then us WD-40 to clean the glue off.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Good ole WD-40 will remove the sticky stuff if applied to a rag, held against the "goo" and then rubbed. Ronsonol (old-school lighter fluid) works well also.
Guess I should have read down farther before answering. Great minds and all, right?

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I peeled it off with my fingers, then rubbed the casing with acetone. Bingo. Slid right into the MMT. Thanks, everyone.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Not that it'll help here, but just a tip I'll share...

If I can't use a solvent for some reason or another, I've found that talcum powder is good for neutralizing some of the adhesive properties of label's residue. It's still there but it's grip is greatly reduced.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use the razor blade to slice off the label in strips then used acetone to remove the label goo.

sl98

Reaction score
Goo Gone is what I've used for this very problem. Similar to Goof Off I suspect.

dshmel

Reaction score
I use naphtha to remove adhesive residue on almost everything. It does not melt plastic.

tomsteve

Reaction score
wd 40 or mineral spirits. put a little on and let it soak for a few minutes. they peel right off and residue usually comes off easy with a rag.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I never have naptha, acetone, or WD40 in my toolbox or range box, but I always have some CA accelerator...;)