Best way to drill carbon fiber?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveToSki78

Reaction score
Here's what I have at my disposal...a 20V cordless drill and a Dremel. What would be the best way to drill holes in a 2 mm wall carbon fiber tube? Specifically, what kind of drill bit should I be using, and what's the best way to prevent splintering? My thoughts are that I should use the Dremel for high speed, and that some kind of diamond tipped bit would be the way to go. Also, hook up a Shop Vac nearby to suck up the electrostatic dust. This sound like a plan to those who have worked with CF before? Thanks for any insights!

What he said ^
I have used metal cutting drill bits in a hand drill motor.
Never had a splinting issue.

I usually drill in steps to approach the final desired hole size. Near the end, if there is splintering, I touch it up with CA adhesive. If you can solidly back up what you are drilling, the splintering will be very minimal if at all. I use regular general purpose metal drilling bits. I'm pretty handy resharpening them when I become dissatisfied with the performance. I like to finish holes with a light chamfer, usually a countersink bit twisted by hand.
Ken
I just thought to add, I like low speed because it doesn't make dust. I vacuum up what's there with the HEPA filtered shop vac. Tile bits and cutting fluid such as water may be substantially better than what I have used.

Back