Best way to airstart F motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsman

Reaction score
As per the title, what is the most reliable way to airstart a pair of F20W's using a perfectflite minitimer? The problem I'm having is finding a suitable ignition system that will work off of a 9v battery.

My two ideas are the ematches from Newton's 3rd dipped in Magnalite, but they seem to be to big to fit into the slot of the LMS F20's. The other idea was to use Q2G2 igniters dipped in Magnalite, but would that provide enough heat to lite the motors?

As per the title, what is the most reliable way to airstart a pair of F20W's using a perfectflite minitimer? The problem I'm having is finding a suitable ignition system that will work off of a 9v battery.

My two ideas are the ematches from Newton's 3rd dipped in Magnalite, but they seem to be to big to fit into the slot of the LMS F20's. The other idea was to use Q2G2 igniters dipped in Magnalite, but would that provide enough heat to lite the motors?

I recently got the magnelite kit and dipped some Q2 ignitors. I haven't flown with them yet, but based on ground tests I would be shocked if they didn't light up anything they were stuck into.

The Q2G2 igniters would need to be extended with some extra wire for them to fit into a 24mm or 29mm reload the 29's it would work good the 24's I would be nervous about the extra pieces of wire getting hung up inside the nozzle after the motor ignites.I am curious to see how it works though.

From The Rocketry Planet:

FYI - We have an 8 inch version at DOT for EX number assignment right now. I can't tell you when we can legally ship them because DOT is backlogged, under-staffed ,and making no excuses for it today. Further, their approvals notification website is not working, so I have to keep calling to get updates....

Back