Best switch out there.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MW has a little plastic piece that you can add to the front of the screw switch to keep the screw from coming out. A little longer screw doesn't hurt, either.

Just got the Missile Works screw switches today. For those that have used them, there is no detent to keep the screw from backing out. Have you ever had one come loose?
I have never had one come loose. Some people do what "blackjack" did - bugger up the bottom threads. But you can back-out the screw too far and it will fall out. If you bought the guide blocks, they prevent the screw from coming out too far.

Is the 3D printed sled your design? I'm working with a gentleman that has some space challenges with a 54mm body tube. And is that a 300mAh 2S Lipo for the Stratologger?
Yes my design.
Yep, 300 ma / 2S.
PF/CF, Operates from 4 volts on up.
I was going to put it up on thingyuniverse, just got LAZYYYYYYY.
😴😴😴😴😴

Maybe time for a third vote for the lowly Aerocon PCB switch? OK, I voted for it twice, but having owned over a hundred of them without a failure, I think it's OK. The nice thing about these is that the barrel of the switch hold the screw firmly so that it won't come loose. I solder on the leads and pot the leads in epoxy. It's bulletproof. I've had several of the metal screw switches as well, and I did what I could to try and make them more reliable, but IMHO, there is no comparison.

Jim

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/switches/pcb-screw-switch/

Hi Jim, thanks for the thoughts. I tried to find the PCB ones but were all out. YOU, must have bought them all :)
When looking at it though, how does it mount? I did not see a mounting hole or a threaded barrel. Dave.

the missileworks switch is great but you need to slightly deform the screw threads with pliers to make them tight in the nut

1614541682710.png

Hi Jim, thanks for the thoughts. I tried to find the PCB ones but were all out. YOU, must have bought them all :)
When looking at it though, how does it mount? I did not see a mounting hole or a threaded barrel. Dave.
I just mount them in a piece of wood that is deep enough so that I can pot the wires when I'm done. There literally isn't anything that can fail. I haven't done it yet, but I suspect it would be easy to print a holder to contain them as part of a sled design. I'll do that before too long.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC04021.JPG
    DSC04021.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 46
Jim, I am just not the biggest fan of flat head drives. Is the bolt removable? I am thinking of getting a few and trying a brass socket cap bolt.
Jason,

The screw that comes with the switch is more like a self-tapping screw and not a bolt. A few years ago, I tried to identify a phillips head screw to replace the one that came with the switch. I tried two or three different screws, but I found they were less reliable than the screw that came with the switch. I was surprised by that, and I suspect that there are screws out there that might work just fine. But, I decided to stick with the one that was supplied and they work great. I have a vague recollection of hearing a similar comment from someone else. So, I would say that if you plan to use this switch, you should plan to use the screw that comes with it.

Jim

Back