Best snap ring pliers, advice needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a ~2” external snap ring ricochet off my forehead before… left a nice vertical ish crease in my head for a few days. Then I bought Snap On ring pliers. Much better. But in my line of work it can still happen, because you can’t always get the tips all the way through the rings when they are seated on a shaft. But I also learned to keep another hand between me and the offending snap ring… 😉

What happens if you use a bad snap ring pliers?
After years of using a pair of needle-nose pliers which I had filed down for snap-ring pliers, I finally bought a pair of Harbor Freight snap ring pliers. They were great, a marked improvement over the needle-nose, for repairing things around the house - like removing rings from a 1/2" motor shaft on the garage door opener, etc. Was very happy with them.
Then I built some motor casings, and tried to use them for 29mm or 38mm snap rings. Nope. Didn't even begin to work. They flex so much that they can't keep the tabs aligned in the same plane - so there's no way you're going to get that ring into a groove. They simply don't work.
Bought some Knipex, and they work fantastic. Another vote for Knipex.

On the subject of rings slipping off the plier tips: Knipex pliers have their tips angled very slightly toward each other. It holds the ring so well that sometimes it takes a little work to get the pliers to release the ring. Of course one can bend the tips on an ordinary pair of snapring pliers. Just don't bend them too much or too little.

Best -- Terry

I use Knipex tools at work everyday. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better quality tool within the known universe. Having said that, I have the channel lock reversable snap ring pliers from before I was introduced to knipex. They have worked great for me!

Back