Best route to Black Rock from Tulsa, OK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Myself and others in my club are gonna try and make the trek from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Black rock most likely in 2018. I have googled the map but what ways have you guys gone. I see some paths that go through Las Vegas and some paths going north into denver and southern Wyoming. Will be driving a diesel towing a RV so mountains wont be an issue.

thanks

Google maps can tell you the shortest route if you plan to go straight there and back - I think the main determining factor would be what you want to see along the way.

Unless you want to go to Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon, I would take the more northern route. Denver, I70 into Utah and either the scenic "Loneliest highway in America" US50 or up to Salt Lake and I80. Both routes end up in Fernley, the way to Gerlach.

I grew up in Reno and live NE of Tulsa. Depending on time of year, definitely Denver --> SLC. What dates, room for one more?

Unless you want to go to Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon, I would take the more northern route. Denver, I70 into Utah and either the scenic "Loneliest highway in America" US50 or up to Salt Lake and I80. Both routes end up in Fernley, the way to Gerlach.

The I-70 west of Denver through the Rockies is fantastic. The highway builders got awards from tree hugger organizations for the clean job and design.
Take I-40 you see nothing, then some more nothing...........

M

If you want scenic, go I70. If you want the least traffic (and it can be seriously bad on I-70 through the Rockies,) cut north in Denver on I-25, pick up US 287 in Ft. Collins, to I-80 in Laramie. With any traffic on I-70, the I-80 route will be faster.

I grew up in Reno and live NE of Tulsa. Depending on time of year, definitely Denver --> SLC. What dates, room for one more?

Cool thanks. I am hoping that LDRS will be at Black rock summer 2018. I guess we will find out after this years LDRS in Potter.

If you want scenic, go I70. If you want the least traffic (and it can be seriously bad on I-70 through the Rockies,) cut north in Denver on I-25, pick up US 287 in Ft. Collins, to I-80 in Laramie. With any traffic on I-70, the I-80 route will be faster.

That route is an option that google maps gave me.

Back