Best protection against aggressive dogs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to a local (or not so local, or online) and pick up a cattle prod. They take 4 D cell batteries, typically.
(It's been a few decades since I used one, they may be rechargeable via USB these days, everything seams to be)
While it will give a good jolt to the animal, it isn't harmful to the animal if you indeed need to administer the shock.
Usually the sound of the arc (if so equipped) is enough to keep an aggressive animal away.
And, it is not considered a defensive weapon or in the category of stun guns as it's shock is not powerful enough.
Now, some people (meaning, the dog owners) may not agree with your methods. As a dog owner, I would not.
But I understand the need for people to protect themselves, or children, if my dog runs loose.
However, I keep my dog on a leash any time she goes outside. I hate the thought of loosing another pet to a vehicle tire!
If people don't follow leash laws and think their pet is not capable of being aggressive, they are pure idiots.
All dogs, no matter how well trained are capable of aggressive actions. Something new to them will always put them in defense mode. Such as launching a rocket, if that dog has never seen one before.

I ended up buying pepper spray.

Nearly 100% time we encounter unleashed dogs on the frozen lake. Today was no exception. The first dog was super friendly and curious. The 2nd dog was barky but not mad. I told the first owner his dog is charming and the second owner I said hello and asked her if she saw our pink glider we were looking for. ;) I never launch with animals or people close by. We simply move.

It's rare to meet super aggressive dogs. What's sad is the owners of the dog that started this thread is in complete denial and deludes themselves with the puppy excuse. Eventually someone is going to get hurt. We don't typically launch from that particular lake so I hope I don't bump into them again.

I ended up buying pepper spray.

Nearly 100% time we encounter unleashed dogs on the frozen lake. Today was no exception. The first dog was super friendly and curious. The 2nd dog was barky but not mad. I told the first owner his dog is charming and the second owner I said hello and asked her if she saw our pink glider we were looking for. ;) I never launch with animals or people close by. We simply move.

It's rare to meet super aggressive dogs. What's sad is the owners of the dog that started this thread is in complete denial and deludes themselves with the puppy excuse. Eventually someone is going to get hurt. We don't typically launch from that particular lake so I hope I don't bump into them again.
Good choice and easy to carry

Back