Best Place to Get Good Deal on Mid-Power Kits for High School Team?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyattjohnson35

Reaction score
Hey all,

I run a high school rocketry team called Atlas Rocketry that is focused on getting more teens interested in STEM through amateur rocketry. We're looking for places where we can get 12-15 mid-power rocket kits at an affordable price, or even donated. Before our team members start building high-powered rockets and other experimental designs, we want to start them on the basics with a mid-powered kit. Our 501c3 designation is pending, so any donor would be able to deduct those donations at the end of the year if we become exempt in the next 1-3 weeks. I am in the Atlanta area and preferably looking for physical stores, but I will pay for shipping if necessary.

Balsa Machining Service has the Big School Rocket a 3" diameter, email Bill and he would probably do a few changes to mmt's if desired.

AC Supply Co. sells Estes rockets at the best prices around. But you might want to try contacting Mike Crupe at MAC Precision Rocketry. His canvas phenolic kits are amazing, and he has 75mm and 54mm kits.

In general, contacting a business with a sole proprietor and asking them for help is a good way to go.

AC Supply Co. sells Estes rockets at the best prices around. But you might want to try contacting Mike Crupe at MAC Precision Rocketry. His canvas phenolic kits are amazing, and he has 75mm and 54mm kits.

In general, contacting a business with a sole proprietor and asking them for help is a good way to go.

Yeah I was going to say AC supply Co, they are geared towards STEM education to begin with, you can get pro series II kits pretty cheap, the best deal they have is the Star Orbiter which is almost 4 ft long and has a 29mm motor mount, easily modifiable for composite reloads, or stock with single use composites for $13.79... TTW fin mounts and plywood fins just like you see on many of the high power builds...

If you wanted something a bit easier to build you could get into e2x kits for 29.99 that include a motor retainer. So could fly reloads right out of the box...

Good people over there and I bet they’d be able to work something with you if you gave them a call or email...

Oh and free shipping on over $100 for everybody

Star Orbiter comes with a retainer.

In the same neighborhood but for 24mm is the Mercury / BMS Big School Rocket.

Two of the biggest bang-for-the-buck kits out there right now.

Star Orbiter comes with a retainer.

In the same neighborhood but for 24mm is the Mercury / BMS Big School Rocket.

Two of the biggest bang-for-the-buck kits out there right now.
Contact Bill Saindon of BMS and he would probably change to 24mm to 29mm for very little extra. He has/had plans of releasing a L1 capable version of the school rocket and an addon payload section.

If you need that many kits, maybe you just design and make your own? Depending on which nose cones you go with, it would probably be a whole lot cheaper. I made up 5 of the same rocket this summer for our middle/high school rocketry team using mostly components from Balsa Machining services. Nose cones were a bit expensive there, so I got plastic Estes PNC80s from Hobbylinc for $4 apiece. Even with that, the five 34" BT80 based 29mm kits set me back less than $20 apiece. Granted, you'll have to some time on a design (which for us was purposeful) and in cutting the various components.

Back