Best paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC1

Reaction score
Whats the best paint to use?

I currently use fairly common spray paints from model shops but find they quite often scratch away very easily.

Clear your browser and split your hard drive. Then dig a very deep hole to hide in because you are going to be bombed with advice and opinions from every corner of the world! I fly in the desert, so paint-meh! It only looks good on the launch rail once. Surface prep and primer will get you so far. If you are really into cool designs-check out Mark at Stickershock for vinyl wraps-he's the king!

Many people use Rustoleum 2X; relatively cheap and works pretty well. If you want to go hardcore then just wait a while. Some people produce finishes that are unbelievable.

I've used Krylon Maxx, took forever to dry it seems like. My first polished bird ii did with Duplicolor enamel and Duplicolor engine enamel. Turned out nice. My most recent I did with Rustoleum 2x and plain old Rustoleum. Turned out nice. Duplicolor seemed easier to work with and dried faster than the Rusto, esp the plain Rusto.

I'm not as good as Nathan, but here are my two best:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?136106-Clear-coat-vinyl-polish-Help-advice-please
The blue/yellow Wastelander was done with Duplicolor and no clear coat, just polished. The black Danger Close was done with Rustoleum and clear coat, then polished.
I've had mixed results with Rustoleum clear coat enamels.

The local Autozone has some paint called VHT, comes in lots of colors, that I intend to try someday.

Mikey D

The paint brand you use is about 1% of the equation. prep work is about 90% and spray technique is the other 90%. That's like 181%--whatever!--Just follow the directions and you'll be ok. Work on your spray technique and prep work !! As far as scratches are concerned, it's the whole rock, paper, scissor thing. I think paint is in there somewhere. paint covers paper--rock crushes paper--scissors cut paper--if the paint is between either of the previously mentioned items and the paper, it has the same fate ! Practice , practice, practice, much like plane crashes, most of the time it's pilot error that causes a disaster. Weather--humidity and temp can cause problems on occasion---don't paint/fly! On occasion a clogged nozzle will lead to distress, this is comparable to a flame out. Go through your check list , clean it up and restart. Continuing to spray with out fixing the problem often ends in disaster and a hole in the ground. If things really go south on you , pull the handles and punch out!! He who paints and runs away, lives to paint another day!!! Set it aside and let it dry, you can sand it down later and try a redo !! Take a look at some of the members home pages and look at their albums. Almost all types of paint are represented with fine results---H

especially be sure to read the drying times on the label. krylon for example is dry to the touch in 25 mins. recoat in under two hours or wait five days.

Love the results I get with Dupont Nason polyurethane. Fabulous gloss and Very tough. Costs a lot and you need to wear a good mask though. And preparation is everything.

Has anyone built or bought a fume cupboard for painting indoors, ie in a garage, on a rainy day without stinking the place out?

I'm especially interested in any homemade contraptions...

I currently use fairly common spray paints from model shops but find they quite often scratch away very easily.

The BEST Paint for the job is the one you pick and Know or Learn how to use. Anyone can learn to produce babies butt smooth finished models of Rockets or any other vehicle you wish. It's the Techniques and procedures that make the difference.
READ the cans and follow their recoat times. Just doing so will allow you to use almost ANY rattle can paint on our models.

Pretty much just as is, with a hole in the bottom for my lazy susan so I can turn the tube around. I plan to add a plenum to blow filtered air in and exhaust filtered air out.

Has anyone built or bought a fume cupboard for painting indoors, ie in a garage, on a rainy day without stinking the place out?

I'm especially interested in any homemade contraptions...

Sure! I Have 2 in my basement, one for micro models & One for models up to MPR size. It's a 3'x 3' x 7' enclouser with squirrel cage w/ filter exhaust that vents through 25ft of 4" dryer hose. Both units can be used alone or at the same time. pics below.

C-a_Paint Chamber duct_4in T & Main_12-20-03.jpg

C-b_Paint Chamber Duct_4in T under_12-20-03.jpg

D_Large Booth 4pic page_06-07-04.jpg

E_Small & Large Paint Booth 6 pic_12-20-03.jpg

F-7_OD microBooth_6 pic Page(128dpi)_07-02-06.jpg

Has anyone purchased the Krylon industrial spray paint that is supposed to be the same formula as their 'old' cans that we used to buy retail?

Has anyone purchased the Krylon industrial spray paint that is supposed to be the same formula as their 'old' cans that we used to buy retail?

Yes Pat:
The industrial Krylon is the old formula krylon paint. Most of the larger industrail supply places carry it. However the color selection is very limited. White, Black, Yellow, Red, Orange & a Dark Blue are all I've found at McMaster-Carr. Sprays like the old stuff and has the recoat anytime lable.

Most of the larger industrial supply places carry it.

I didn't realize the color selection was limited. I did notice that there were a number of places that sold individual cans versus having to buy a dozen or so of each. I might just stock up sometime with the old formula.

I'm back to using old Formula Krylon.....they just changed the name to Acrylic-Quik. The same awesome stuff with old non clog nozzle and recoat anytime. They have a lot of colors to choose from. I buy mine online a case of 6 at a time. I got tired of the other brands ruining my paint jobs. Rust oleum looks great but sometimes sprays out cottage cheese globs.

Two-pack automotive gets my vote. If you have a friend with a panel shop the results are fantastic! If you are sufficiently motivated you can set up for it at home, but I have not quite made it that far, yet. I had one rocket painted with two-pack that went to Mach 1.8 and the only blemish on the paint was from the launch rail. No sign of Mach rash. A little disappointing in that situation actually :)

Duplicolor is probably my favourite for rattle-cans.

Here is old formula Krylon and the new can, same great stuff. I don't even use primer just seal the fins and paint like the good old days.

DSC_0227 (1280x851).jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0226 (1280x851).jpg
    DSC_0226 (1280x851).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
A good sentiment, but given that companies do change paint formulations from time to time, the paint you like the most might not work the same way the next time you try it.

then the one I like the most changes. simple enough solution to that,eh?

Another Chromabase fan here. So much more consistent than hobby, household and craft paints...but it does come at a price.

Noticed a significant price increase on the Nasson and Chromabase since dupont sold to Axalta. Went to buy a pint of synergy green chromabase....242$ the other place $261 for a pint. Nasson is up too, 57$ a pint. Is this the new trend in business lately...medication price increase, paint price increase, all over 100% increase. Crazy.

Back