Best method of applying decal film to decal sheet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,
I have been printing out some decals on my ALPS printer. I applied a top coat of decal film with a foam brush. I noticed it removed the ink in a few small areas. What is the trick of applying decal film to a ALPS printed decal paper?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Not really knowing exactly what solution you have, I think the stuff you have is used more decal setting, than covering prior to application. The short seach I did showed that it's more as a softening agent to help a decal conform to more irregular surfaces. This would probably account for the colors running.

I would use Krylon fixative (#1306), let dry. Then cut and apply.

I would definitely recommend getting some MicroScale liquid decal film, then apply like you say you were applying the other stuff.

Lay it on thick, and spread it out nice and easy. No worries!

BTW: What is the consistency/smell of the stuff you're using?

The MicroScale film is fairly thick - somewhere between cooking oil and maple syrup. Or like interior house paint perhaps (only clear.) It also smells like rubbing alcohol.

Fore Check,
I checked the bottle again and it is MicroScale Decal Film. I noticed when I put a coat on with a foam brush that the decal looked a little grainy. Like the brush lifted very small amounts of ink in someplaces. Do you brush in each direction or just one when applying the decal film?

Brian

I've never thought about it, so I'd say any direction.

Here's what I do: I pour a small puddle of it on the decal sheet, and then I use the foam brush to kinda push the puddle around and even it out. Again, I lay it on kinda thick. The brush does contact the paper, but very gently. Once the entire sheet (or all of the printed areas on the sheet) are well covered and look "wet", I set aside to dry - usually about 20 minutes, sometimes a tad longer.

I'm assuming that what you're applying the decal film to is the same thing that I do, only you make them yourself (I have to buy my ALPS decals - usually Excelsior. Tango Papa's decals look and feel the same, but take longer to get and cost more.)

I agree: a clean foam brush and a minimum of decal film is the best way to go. I buy my brushes at Walmart, and keep them in a zip lock bag to prevent them from getting dustyin the workshop.

I have never had ALPS decal ink come off while applying decal film. This may be a problem with your decal paper.

Streakiness or haziness can be caused by humidity. If it is humid, wait until the female-of-the-house is not at home, spread out some newspaper in a well air-conitioned room (I have used the coffee table in my living room while my wife is out shopping!!) , and apply the decal film with the foam brush. It should dry in 10-15 minutes. If not, then you are using too much.

If you have a decal that is hazy, you can often 'save' it by applying another coat of decal film in a well air conditioned room.

Phred

Back