Best material for a motor hook.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nacho

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

For my next build, instead of friction mounting the motor, I would like to have a "hook" in place so I can easily hot-swap a motor.

I've seen both cylindrical and flat shapes:

New%2BEngine%2BHook%2B001_WEB.jpg

engine-hook.jpg

What material should I get for this? I have some experience trying to bend a servo rod for a RC plane and that was hard as *!*$%!**.

This is going to be used to retain D/E motors.

Thanks a lot!
~Nacho.

Some people recycle the steel from their old wiper blade inserts. I believe it's called spring, or tensile steel. And yes, it's hard to bend. Anything softer and it wouldn't perform it's function well. Use pliers.

Hello everyone!

For my next build, instead of friction mounting the motor, I would like to have a "hook" in place so I can easily hot-swap a motor.

I've seen both cylindrical and flat shapes:

What material should I get for this? I have some experience trying to bend a servo rod for a RC plane and that was hard as *!*$%!**.

This is going to be used to retain D/E motors.

Thanks a lot!
~Nacho.
Music wire. Or a tine from an old metal grass rake.

A vise and hammer, or vice-grip and hammer, or two vice grips. Heating with a torch may be fruitful; I doubt that it will affect strength significantly for such an application.

Here are several nice ideas and images for motor retention:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/fabricating-kaplow-clip-retention.18733/

Best -- Terry

Some people recycle the steel from their old wiper blade inserts. I believe it's called spring, or tensile steel. And yes, it's hard to bend. Anything softer and it wouldn't perform it's function well. Use pliers.
Fair point hehe. I should also get a good vice at some point too.

I've used old broken band-scroll saw blades a few times, Just grind off/down the teeth.

Latest posts

Back