Best Masking Tape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Anyone have a good suggestion on a good "masking" tape, so I can paint a model. Not masking as in the creame colored stuff, but in what won't lift paint afterwards or allow bleeding.

A friend of mine suggested good old celephane tape.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I've had good luck lately with celephane, just burnish well.

[fred]
What did Micromeister say when you asked him?
[/fred]

I've had great luck with the Scotch Brand Removable Tape.
It's in a Blue package and says Photo Safe, Cat. # 224. You can buy it in the larger office supply stores.
This is low-tack clear tape and won't pull up the color under the mask.
It's great if you are not running it over "compound" surfaces. Over smooth surfaces it works great.
I got this tip in a Apogee Peak of Flight Newsletter.

I also use regular Scotch style clear cellophane tape. It's a stronger "tack" than the Removable type. Just be sure your base color is completely dry! Give it a day or two.
If your base color isn't totally dry, the paint solvent can break down the tape adhesive and can leave residue or a gummy surface on your undercoat.
The Removable Tape won't leave any residue, the standard tape can.

The clear cellophane tape gives the cleanest lines ever. If your base color isn't smooth, no tape will give you a clean color separation.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a good "masking" tape, so I can paint a model. Not masking as in the creame colored stuff, but in what won't lift paint afterwards or allow bleeding.

Thoughts or suggestions?

This came up awhile back, and bar none the best I've EVER used is Tamiya. Plenty of recommendations for Scotch Automotive, but I've not tried it. After using Tamiya, I have no personal reason to try anything else. Absolutely no bleeding, and easy to pull up. This is an Estes Stormcaster that I decided to use to test Rustoleum Lacquer. Base white, followed by red and black details with just 1 day between coats. The paint is great, and the Tamiya tape was a real surprise, in terms of incredibly crisp lines. (I only masked for black -- the red is a separate body tube.)

Last edited:
I have good luck with 3M's blue stuff. I always wait two to five days (depending on which cheapo paint I used for my basecoat) before applying it, and I pretty well always back-color. I suspect, if you back-color all the time, most tapes that stick at all will work pretty well.

I use the blue stuff also. You can get it at most hardware, Home depot and Lowes but you have to make sure it is (low tack) tape it will say it on the inside of the roll. It is about the same as drafting tape. Much better than trying to find something you have to wait around for, I have used it the same day after painting one color. You will also have to be able to judge how well set your paint is as even the best tape will give you problems if the catalyst is still coming out of the paint you already have on. If you have put several coats on of one color it will take longer to settle down. Krylon is even worse than it used to be. Temp humidity and how thick your coats, to much paint will flow under some of the best tape also.

I wouldn't dare put any tape on a rocket painted with current paints until at least 48 hours had passed... the new stuff just isn't really solid before then. Even if the tape doesn't screw it up, the second color is likely to lift and crackle the first.

Sad but true :( I like the Rustolium appliance epoxy paint drys fast and is pretty rugged, Good for a base color white or black. Colors are limited but a great choice for taping a design onto fairly quick. Krylon works great on it as the second color.

Last edited:

Thoughts or suggestions?

AK:
We just went through this in the Tread RangerStl referenced LOL. Masking has more to do with the intended outcome and method(s) used, then the tape. Lots of good materal and methods shared in that thread.

I second the use of the Tamiya masking tape. Several widths available, so you can do your curvy lines, or keep them straight. It's a bit more spendy, but works really well.

As well as burnishing, making sure your previous layer is smooth, I also recommend removing the tape almost immediately after you're sure you won't need to re-spray, or give a second coat. Some paints tack quickly, and can be stringy on the edges if you wait too long, and many, with a couple of coats can build up a bit against the tape, creating a "dam" against the tape, and a high-spot when you remove it. Remove the tape before the paint sets, and the dam is not present, and you still have nice clean lines in addition to a smooth surface.

the tamiya / pactra masking tapes and 3m fineline are essentially one and the same

however you can get the 3m fineline in a larger quantity, much cheaper.

those little hobbys rolls can get expensive

Last edited:
I use the blue stuff also. You can get it at most hardware, Home depot and Lowes but you have to make sure it is (low tack) tape it will say it on the inside of the roll.
The identifying words these days on this particular 3M blue tape is "For Delicate Surfaces" (#2080). I use this for masking larger areas & straight lines, then Tamiya for the fine details & curves.

Thoughts or suggestions?

AKPilot:
Abatix has a variety of tapes as well as masking tapes that you might want to try out. They are priced very reasonably and you can buy some of them in bulk if necessary. Here's a link to one for example: ["https://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=TAPEMSK1&catlist=31" 513 Utility Masking Tape 1"x60yd] I would also suggest getting a five-in-one tool to the tape from leaking. Good luck!

Back