Best Glue For Attaching Basswood Ply ( or Body Tubes) to Polystyrene?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Looking for advice as to what glue I should use to attach Basswood Plywood to Polystyrene?
Is it ok to leave the Basswood raw, or should it have something like CA applied to it, let that dry, then use _____ to attach it tot the Polystyrene?​

What about standard spiral wound body tubes to Polystyrene?

JB Weld? Gorilla Glue Epoxy?
I'm out of my realm of experience... Thanks in advance! :computer:

John

Last edited:
Polystyrene and Epoxy
  • Wash the polystyrene parts with dish soap and hot water ,rinse and dry and wash again. The polystyrene parts have traces of release agent on them, so if you sand before you wash ,you scrub it into the plastic and there it stays ,making proper glue adhesion impossible.
  • Clean the area to be bonded with 95% isopropyl alcohol.
  • Scuff the polystyrene where the glue will bond to it. 80 grit, a rasp, a hobby knife, etc.
  • Many folks are using JB Weld. They state it works just as good as specialized epoxies for plastics, but is much less expensive.

Last edited:
I ended up doing a bit of R&D on J-B Weld for bonding the polystyrene to the basswood.

18 lbs should be more than adequate for my LPR / MPR projects. FYI: The basswood is 1/8" plywood, I made it myself from (4) pieces of 1/32" th. sheet.

006.JPG000.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Back