Best Fuel for Absolute Starter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Maloney

Reaction score
What is a good fuel for a complete beginner rocket? One that can just be easily burned as a test motor. It will not be on a rocket so umm yeah...

Welcome to the forum Daniel. You can purchase black powder (BP) motors quite cheaply at hobby shops. They are easy to light, very reliable, and generally available in A-E sizes. The letter is a measure of the amount of energy in the motor, and each increment in letter is a doubling of the energy available.

You can get larger composite propellant (APCP, ammonium perchlorate composite propellant) motors, but ignition is slightly more difficult. No big deal though. The advantage is that there is more energy in a smaller volume. These should be available in hobby stores up to G size.

Daniel: You may want to take a look around on the forum before asking questions. You'll get absolutely nowhere with your first post being what it is..

What is a good fuel for a complete beginner rocket? One that can just be easily burned as a test motor. It will not be on a rocket so umm yeah...

Start with commercial motors. Making your own motors and building test stands is a topic for experienced rocket folks and limited to our research section. It is not allowed on the propulsion forum.

Nobody caught that? "Will not be on a rocket" part. Sounds fishy to me..

I think we caught it but we are more concerned with the fact that the OP is 13 years old and asking for rocket motor fuels.

Daniel: What exactly are your intentions? I.e. What are you planning on doing if this is not for a rocket? Do you just want to see a motor burn? Please be safe with whatever it is you do.

Back