Best first Dual Deploy Altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to start getting into some dual deploy rockets. In your opinion what would be the best Altimeter to start into the realm of dual deploy? I’m looking closely at the RRC3 sport and the eggtimer Classic. The sport is edging out the classic as it’s going to be ready to go right out of the box. I do believe I could handle the soldering on the the Eggtimer but perhaps not a good choice as the first time.
What other altimeters should I consider and why?
What are your thoughts on the RRC3?
On the Eggtimer Classic whatare the potential problems with soldering?
Anyone who uses either what do you like about it?

Thanks.

I have an RRC3 and several Eggtimer items. They are all good. I have never used the classic Eggtimer. But love the Quantum and Quark. The RRC3 is a little long as for mounting it in a small avbay, but that's only an issue in the smallest of bays.

The RRC3 does give you a third channel that open up future Airstart/staging. There is also a plug in LCD for it that makes programming and reading eaiser.

Although the Quantum is Wi-Fi and give you all those controls through your phone. It will also do Airstart/Staging, but only with 2 channels. Unless you go with the new Eggtimer Proton (that looks to be better then most available, for the price)

Soldering egg products requires a little practice at first. But its definitely doable if you think you can solder even a little. Just go slow and follow the directions step by step.

But, I also love my Stratologger CF. It's small, reasonably priced and has a great computer interface.

I have both but have yet to fly the Eggtimer, haven't decided what kind of wiring or terminals I want to use with it is one reason it hasn't flown. Another reason is it comes off as a bit complicated..You have to reprogram the outputs and use a separate AUX board to use it as dual deploy with airstarts. It is pretty easy to solder. It has more features than the RRC3, but it's features you likely won't use just starting out.
The RRC3 is great. Easy to program (software makes this a breeze, along with graphing the flight data), ready to fly, fits where the ET will not, and the dedicated AUX output simplifies things.
For starters though, the RRC2+ is difficult to beat. Small, cheap, easy. I have 3 of them.
FYI,
I have no problem with Eggtimer products. I have the Ckassic, Eggfinder, and 2 Quarks. Very good products.

My objective with my first altimeter was dual deployment. Staging and air starts were down the road. So a basic two deployment channel altimeter is what I looked for. And inexpensive. I bought 4 Adepts. The closest thing to that now is the RRC2+. I’ve got a couple of them and love them. Easy to use. Same with the stratologger. But if you can solder surface mount components, the Eggtimers are worth a look. I’ve built, but not yet flown, a couple of Quantums. I had no soldering experience at all, so I got a good soldering station, some good tweezers, and a lighted magnifier (and a bunch of other stuff Chris recommends) and tried the WIFI Switch to see if I could do it. When I powered it up, the light went on, so I tried a a Quantum. It beeped three times when I powered it up, so I’ve concluded this soldering stuff isn’t so bad, if you have the tools. So if I were starting fresh today I’d probably get one RRC2+ and one quantum. I’ve learned the hard way to use two. Unless they won’t fit and I can get two into a 54mm av bay.

I'd recommend an Eggtimer Quark. Very easy to build, small for ease of fitment, no programming to potentially screw up, simply leave off all the jumpers and it's ready to fly "out of the box" Apogee drogue and main @ 500". For $20 you really can't beat it. Comes in real handy as a backup as you progress to other units/redundancy also.

For simple, cheap, and easy computer interface you're going to have to try super hard to convince me that anything beats the Stratologger CF. Just simply works, right out of the box, including the interface software with lots of different windows devices.

That said, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a Missile Works fan boy (I own over a dozen of their products). The RRC2+ and the RRC3 are dead flat reliable, never had a single issue at all, but the form factor is pretty large, which makes it hard to integrate in 38mm min diameter builds or smaller (which is why I own several Stratologgers). Couple it with an RTX and, for me, it's a fully integrated package that feeds my head with all the options and data I want (minus tilt detection for airstarts/staging).

I own and have built at least 2 of everything of the Egg variety. Fairly priced, but you've got to build it, so it's not 'flight ready' as delivered. Form factors are comparable with other devices. Unless you have a mentor, I would use an 'out of the box' product first so that you're sure that any failures are NOT in assembly or programming.

I got started in DD with Egg products, rapidly moved to the Stratologger CF, and progressed into the MW products, but I'm a data junkie so that's not for everyone.

All the Perfectflite stuff is top notch and easy to use. I have two Stratologgers and find them very easy to use. I don't know how you could make them any easier to use.

To be fair I can't recall anyone complaining about any particular brand of electronics. This hobby is blessed with an abundance of good electronics and good vendors.

These are based on my experience. Don't take them as word from above since I don't have a stable of every altimeter made!

Entry level: Eggtimer Quark or Missileworks RRC2. These use DIP switches or jumpers to set deployment altitudes in a small range of options that will cover most flights. No recording other than beeping out the last flight's altitude, but definitely the cheapest and smallest route to dual deployment while covering most of the bases.

Mid-level: Eggtimer Quantum or Stratologger CF. More recording, more options, a little more expensive. The basic options cover most flights, but you can go in and do lots of different stuff.

I wouldn't recommend a high-level altimeter (Raven, Marsa, etc.) until you get your feet wet and know what you like. I also think the Eggtimer Quantum has all of the options of the Classic in a smaller package with the advantage of WiFi control. I have a Classic but would have built a Quantum instead if I had it to do all over again.

I also have an Eggtimer Classic. Built it more out of curiosity than need. After finishing it I realized how complicated the programming/setup was so I immediately lost interest. It's never flown and I doubt it ever will. Although I'm sure some enjoy that type of thing, I just don't have the time or patience for such.

I have owned about a dozen different altimeters, from simple baro-only to complex Baro-accelerometer based boards. I think the Strataglogger CF is very easy to use and for the price a great deal. You can use a standard 9 volt battery or a LiPo and its small size allows a lot of mounting flexibility. The programming/data capture software is available (for now at least) on both Mac and Windows. It can store multiple flights so you don't need to download your data after every flight. The other nice thing about the Stratalogger is the manual, it is very comprehensive and is a great learning tool for newcomers to altimeters.

Once you get beyond a simple Baro only altimeter, there are many excellent choices. I'm constantly amazed at the number of altimeters that are available for such a small market.

Tony

The Classic has 4 channels vs 2 on the Quantum, and can do servos...not sure if the Quantum supports servos.
The Quark is small, light, and cheap enough it isn't impractical to simply make it part of the rocket, especially buying them during black Friday sales. Hardwiring it to a sled is a good option. It has to have a load on both or neither outputs in order to work properly.

Consider the RRC2+. I have three RRC2+ and two RRC3. The recording feature of the RRC3 is cool at first but I haven't used it in a long time. The only real advantage of the RRC3 for me is that it allows you to program any deployment altitude while the RRC2+ only allows 300 ft, 500 ft, 800 ft, or 1000 ft. I often want to do 600 or 700 ft.

Stratologger CF because of the size is the most versatile .. you will always be able to use it.

Look at the eGG stuff after ..you will probably jump up to a Quantum and use the Strato as a backup

Kenny

Lots of answers, none of them right or wrong. it really depends on what you want to do. If you just want something quick and easy, buy and fly, get an RRC2+. Take it out of the package, put itin your AV bay, and go launch. Done.

Like others have said, if you want bells and whistles, downloads, airstarts, etc., you'll need something more robust. If you like soldering, have the right equipment, and want to save money, get the Eggtimer.

Can't go wrong with perfectflite, honestly i have MAWDs 10 years old, was my first altimeter, stratologger is even better obviously. Missleworks are another option, i have an RRC3 RRC2+.

One thing to consider:

You can directly connect a switch to the RRC3 and stratologger but not to the RRC2. You would need to wire a switch in between the battery and altimeter.

Not a huge issue but I prefer the RRC3 and stratologger over the RRC2 for that reason alone.

The Classic has 4 channels vs 2 on the Quantum, and can do servos...not sure if the Quantum supports servos.
The Quark is small, light, and cheap enough it isn't impractical to simply make it part of the rocket, especially buying them during black Friday sales. Hardwiring it to a sled is a good option. It has to have a load on both or neither outputs in order to work properly.
Yes, the Quantum supports servos, as does the new Proton 6-output altimeter. A Quark with a screw switch is about the simplest and smallest package you're gonna find.

Thanks for all the good input. I am going to weigh the options and probably make a decision by the end of the week. With the stratologger still being available I am now comparing the stratologger, RRC3, and probably going to hold off on the Eggtimer for now. But I might get an Eggtimer and try my hand at soldering.

Solid, my first flight was with a stratologger cf and it worked like a champ. I also own a RRC 2+ and like it pretty good as well. I’d definitely lean towards the Stratologger though. It’s very versatile and easy to use.

Good discussion. I'll be looking for this kind of equipment soon. I was looking at the StratoLoggerCF, also. Looks like good features and not too complicated to use.

Good discussion. I'll be looking for this kind of equipment soon. I was looking at the StratoLoggerCF, also. Looks like good features and not too complicated to use.
Thumbs up on the Stratolgger, when you want to double your chances of a good recovery, get another as a backup.

I use Stratologger CF and RRC3. Both require data interface cables to use the computer features although that was a no-issue in my book because I wanted to know stuff about the flight. For pure simplixity and cost, the RRC2 won't be a bad start

Missileworks RRC2+ is a affordable easy to set up altimeter. No computer interface. Just simple dip switches. Missileworks also sells 3D printed sleds just for the RRC2+ that are shorter than the standard 3D sleds for the RRC3's. I own so many, I've lost count... :oops::oops:

....A Quark with a screw switch is about the simplest and smallest package you're gonna find.
Yep. This is true. It is also the cheapest altimeter that streams real time altitude. I am only just now figuring out how to do this. Now to test fly it and figure out how to turn the data into audio so I can keep my eyes on the rocket.

My first altimeter was a Stratologger SL-100. I never programmed it, it's still flying in my L1 rocket with over thirty flights. I have dozens of altimeters, and have flown hundreds of dual deploy flights. Every one of those flights has a Stratologger in the rocket.
I like the RRC-3 for all the data it collects, and the Eggtimer because I get to make it myself, but for a beginner, start with a Stratologger.

Stratologger for a first dual deploy. Period. You can try other altimeters after your first successful Dual Deploy.

To this day I fly a Stratologger as my main altimeter and a RRC3 as my back up altimeter in all my dual deploy rockets.

Why?

They work.

Back