best commercial ignitors for loki motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What are the best commercial ignitors to use with Loki motors? Right now most interested in ignitors for the 38-120 and 38-240 as that's what I have now. I have a few ignitors that come with the AT 29mm motors; would these work? Also would a Estes Solar starter for their composite motors work? what does everyone use to get their Loki motors going?

I've been using a MJG Firewire Initiator along with half a .50 cal pyrodex pellet on 38mm and 54mm Loki. It lights them up pretty quick. I use the same setup in the sustainer for my 2 stage as well.

cheers - mark

Aerotech FirstFires work fine. I just grab a pack from Chris Short when I buy a Loki that way I have the extras I'll need to light the infernal Mojave Greens.:D
He also has other starters "Igniters small" I am pretty sure I've used as well.

Last edited:
Aerotech FirstFires work fine. I just grab a pack from Chris Short hen I buy a Loki that I have the extras I'll need to light the infernal Mojave Greens.:D
He also has other starters "Igniters small" I am pretty sure I've used as well.

Interesting- I have never had an issue lighting Mojave Green. First go with supplied igniter every time.

Interesting- I have never had an issue lighting Mojave Green. First go with supplied igniter every time.
I've had several people tell me that, but I have issues every time, except the last one. Usually the igniter pops out the back before the motor lights. Taping it in and/or using the cap, which I always forget, usually works. In my experience it is harder to light than any other AT motor, it is the only one that I have had spit out the igniter without lighting.

The suggestions here are probably better, but you can get by with Estes Sonic igniters in a pinch. I even lit a I405 with a sonic igniter a couple years ago.

Igniters for the #10 nozzle on the 38-120 case are the biggest issue because the throat is so small. Lately I’ve had great luck with some igniters that I got from Crazy Jim (PM him via TRF, @blackjack2564).

Last edited:
I've had several people tell me that, but I have issues every time, except the last one. Usually the igniter pops out the back before the motor lights. Taping it in and/or using the cap, which I always forget, usually works. In my experience it is harder to light than any other AT motor, it is the only one that I have had spit out the igniter without lighting.

The igniter needs to stay. That is a problem that is easily fixed with a little masking tape and a check list.

The suggestions here are probably better, but you can get by with Estes Sonic igniters in a pinch. I even lit a I405 with a sonic igniter a couple years ago.

Igniters for the #10 nozzle on the 38-120 case are the biggest issue because the throat is so small. Lately I’ve had great luck with some igniters that I got from Crazy Jim (PM him via TRF, @blackjack2564).
I've had hit or miss luck with Estes Sonic igniters, but a Sonic dipped in Quickburst Quick Dip (or similar) will light a 38-120 evey time. Just don't forget to bend the tip slightly to make sure it makes contact with the propellant.

I see the Frankums are a lot cheaper than the quickburst. I will be checking them out now. Thanks Bat.

I have ignited almost every 54mm Loki motor at least once, and I have yet to have a failure. I use the Slim Gem from QuickBurst. Actually that reminds me I need to order more.

wildman little 'en's light them all thru m, then you gotta go to the big 'em's

Back