Best clearcoat for Acrylics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good clearcoat for acrylics. I brought this up over in my Acrylic Painting Quickstart thread, but decided to make it its own thread in hopes of getting more viewership and responses.

I'm using the acrylic water-based paints so I can spray indoors due to cold weather outside. So the clear needs to be water-based or at least very low fumes... my wife has little tolerance, and I've got kids in the house.

Looking for something that dries hard with a high gloss.

Today I used Future (Pledge with Future Shine, with some simple green in it) which I usually use on top of clearcoat when I use lacquers.

The Future did dissolve the acrylic paint (Createx's Wicked Colors black, which was dry overnight and also blown for a few minutes with a hair dryer to ensure full cure).

It was a black-painted nose cone. I left it upside down to drip off the tip. The first drip was clear with a hint of black. Couple minutes later, the second drip off the tip was opaque black.

Can I use water-borne urethanes like for wood floors or something like that? I've heard not-so-good things about the Createx Airbrush Colors clear coat.

When I paint with lacquer, I use either Valspar clear gloss lacquer or Duplicolor Paint Shop System clear metallic, by the way.

Anyway, looking for recommendations for use with Acrylics, safe to shoot inside.

Marc

Maybe you can try the future without the simple green? I have never heard of Future taking paint off like that, in the plastic model world we have been using future safely for years and I never heard of that in magazines or forums.

Aside from Future I do not know what else to try.

Am I missing something? I started using acrylics this year after reading about them on this site, and I still use the same old clear coats I've been using - Krylon, Rustoleum, and my favorite, Plastikote Universal Clear. They don't cause peeling, wrinking, or running, they give a great shine, and they seem to be working fine.

I tried to use Future over acrylic on my TIE fighter, and found that the Future dissolves the acrylic and causes streaks. I'd not expect that when using water-based paints under a non-water-based clear coat. I'm really happy with the results - unless someone knows something I don't.

BTW, when I picked up some more acrylic paints today at Michaels, I also picked up some a clear coat for acrylics, like DuraClear Gloss Varnish. It says it is a polyurethane gloss varnish that is non-yellowing, so it may work for your no aroma indoor shooting.

Am I missing something? I started using acrylics this year after reading about them on this site, and I still use the same old clear coats I've been using - Krylon, Rustoleum, and my favorite, Plastikote Universal Clear.

Not at all. Just it's too cold to use 'em in the garage now, and I can't spray them inside...

BTW, when I picked up some more acrylic paints today at Michaels, I also picked up some a clear coat for acrylics, like DuraClear Gloss Varnish. It says it is a polyurethane gloss varnish that is non-yellowing, so it may work for your no aroma indoor shooting.

Interesting. Let us know how it works out.

Marc

Createx has a water based clear that is similar in low odor characteristics as the acrylic paints. You are not going to get a urethane like glassy finish, however it will protect the paint until winter is over. Then you can go back and re-coat with a clear that needs some ventilation.

It is Createx #5604.

Last edited:
Marc_G said:
Interesting. Let us know how it works out.
I'm building a Renegade and a Renegade D at the moment. I'll give both the same paint but different clears, and share the results.

Marc:
One of the tricks I've learned over the years is the most Craft paints, Acrylics, even artist oils and acrylics along with pastels, charcoal, and colored pencils both oils and chalk based. Every one of these media MUST be Set with a fixatif of one kind or another. Liquitex Matte or Gloss Medium are excellant brush on sealers as is Delta ceram coat though I've only used it over Air brushed waterbased craft paints.
For general smudge proof sealing of ANY water sensative medium I strongly suggest Krylon #1306 Workable Fixatif. I've used it directly over Pastel and Charcoal renderings to set and protect these fine art drawings. Works equally well over Craft matte acrylics, to water seal and can be over sprayed with Krylon UV resistant clears to prevent yellowing and/or change the sheen on the surface. These UV clears can then be over layed with Future or left as they are.

Matte Medium-a-sm_Liquitex Matte Acrylic_05L&93R.jpg

Delta Creamcoat Waterbase Sealer_12-08.JPG

Inkjet Waterslide Decals_1st fixatif Then UV Clear_02-26-11.JPG

Marc, I have read about using future on the acrylic but not as we are used to with the drip dry, but spraying it through the airbrush in multiple thin coats to keep the finish from dissolving. then a last thicker coat to get the shine. I'll look to see it i saved the link where i read this.

-Z

It's not the Future that removed the Createx.

I regularly use Simple Green to remove water-based paints from plastic and pewter wargaming miniatures. Putting painted miniatures in full-strength Simple Green in a coffee can will remove most any acrylic paint in under a day. I reckon that using Simple Green as an additive to Future, as a top-coat, will soften acrylic paint.

Try the Future without the Simple Green.

ditto , simple green and acrylic paint is a bad combo,,, I've used it to strip plastic models of paint and chrome.

for something low odor in the airbrush you can try the liquitex acrylic varnishes,(craft stores)
They come in flat satin and gloss,, .
I really like the flat and use it all the time for missiles

sorry just notice micro already mentioned this ,,, props to micro

High-Gloss-Varnish.jpg

Last edited:
I paint all my rocket with Createx acrylic paint, mainly their Wicked line.
Then use their UVLS clears, either matte (4052) or gloss (4050).
The 4050 also is a good base coat/primer for plastics and wood.

The Wicked colors are mostly water-prove but can be removed with alcohol so should be clear coated.

The trick to get a good gloss with 4050 is many, many very light coats. Light coats dry fast so once finish with one coat you can start again with next coat. I can get 3-4 coats in one spray session. Then do 3-4 spray sessions for 9-16 very light coats.

Here is photo of latest rocket. This one only has 6-9 light coats but was glossy enough for what I wanted.HyperLOC.JPG

You should use acrylic paint which is washable! You should know the basic techniques!You can check their article for more info!
@Jonathan_P ,

First, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and share techniques. I hope you have a great time here.

Second: Wow! I don't think anyone has ever necroposted a thread that I started that was essenitally abandoned so long ago. Almost a decade!! And on your first post, too. I'm honored :)

I don't have much time today but I will fill in a few brief learnings from the past decade:

1. The Liquitex High Gloss Varnish posted above doesn't do a great job as a rocket clear coat over acrylics. It wasn't that high gloss compared to other alternatives.
2. I've tried various products and prefer either Future (whatever it is called now) --though I no longer bother with the Simple Green treatment (it does work though)-- or the Krylon 1305 Clear Gloss with UV protection. Almost every rocket I clearcoat gets one of these.
3. I've had good success with automotive-grade clear lacquer (or metalic clear) from the PaintShop system (bought at auto parts stores) but in the end didn't find the benefit to be worth it compared to the easy alternatives above.

I've wondered about the Createx 4050 UV Gloss Clear. I have tried the Createx Gloss Top Coat without great success. It worked, it just didn't look as good/flat/glossy as the options in #2 above.

Again welcome to the forum.

After posting was thinking that maybe use the 4050 to 'seal the Createx paint. Then after the 24 hour cure give it a coat of Future for the 'high gloss' finish.

I didn't notice how old the original thread was either.

@Mark_G have you tried Krylon 5515. Color max gloss clear? Accidentally grabbed it Ace. Krylon's website says it's acrylic but I don't see that on the can

@Mark_G have you tried Krylon 5515. Color max gloss clear? Accidentally grabbed it Ace. Krylon's website says it's acrylic but I don't see that on the can
(It's actually Marc_G with a c... 🙂)

I haven't tried that one. I use the 1305 specifically for uv protection to prevent yellowing of decals.

However, no other clear I've tried has caused a problem with the fully dry/cured createx-type (water based) acrylic paint ever. I've used all manner of lacquer and enamels and quite a few acrylics. So the 5515 should work fine.

(It's actually Marc_G with a c... 🙂)

I haven't tried that one. I use the 1305 specifically for uv protection to prevent yellowing of decals.

However, no other clear I've tried has caused a problem with the fully dry/cured createx-type (water based) acrylic paint ever. I've used all manner of lacquer and enamels and quite a few acrylics. So the 5515 should work fine.
Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting while doing to many things at once. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks. The 5515 does say non yellowing and UV protection. I'll try it on a less important build first.

Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting while doing to many things at once. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks. The 5515 does say non yellowing and UV protection. I'll try it on a less important build first.
Just looked up the 5515 product. It's a lacquer based acrylic (per response from Krylon in reviews online). In my experience lacquer clears work fine over Createx type water based acrylics.

But of course don't spray it over an enamel!

Finish1 (available @ NAPA) ultimate clear - FC720 with FC611 hardener is almost foolproof. While it is meant to be sprayed, I have actually brushed it on small models.

I paper my entire rocket in Astrobright colors. So after initial construction they are lovely colors with painting.
But I need to seal them since I launch in snow.

I need something that is zero fumes, so I'd prefer water based paints.
I am going to try this furniture water based spray.

What exactly is Future?

Is is possible to spray this when below freezing air temperature? I actually found that a person can use automotive clear when it's below freezing. Pick a low humidity day (so 30F is worse than 20F) First keep the spray can very warm. I have it in hot water. In the garage, have a big cardboard box with a heating pad in it. (One that doesn't have a timer.) Make sure the rocket is warm. Spray the rocket and then put in the warm box and let sit for days.

Attachments

• 41-8iEvhZ7L._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    41-8iEvhZ7L._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4
Back