Benefits of kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are the most important benefits of kits (over scratch-building)?

• I know the rocket is stable

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • I know what motors will work

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • All the pieces are provided

Votes: 63 74.1%
  • It comes with instructions

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • I know what the result will look like

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • It's cheaper than buying components

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • It's easier to get past the RSO

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • It comes with decals

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • I don't like to design my own rockets

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, I quickly got bored with 3FNC rockets. They are all basically the same. They may be longer/shorter, the cone may be different, the fins slightly different shape, but basically the same.
I go for the Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Odd-Roc style. And while I believe I've come up with some interesting scratch, some are just so-so. Meanwhile, others - Shrox, Estes, Semroc, Fliskits, New Way, to name a few, have some great and interesting kits. Why not take advantage of their ideas? Get all the parts and decals?
I'm not as bad as Initiator001 (only 500 kits in the build pile) but I look forward to the uniqueness of all those different kits.
Will I add more scratch ones - of course
Will I enjoy building these kits - absolutely!

Sorry Ez2c Dave..
This statement is sanctimonious, arrogant and utterly stupid..."if Rocketeers are unwilling to learn the skills..etc..etc..etc."

Why, because it is a Hobby.....a Hobby that started with kits and only recently has designing taken over in the hearts or minds of Rocketeers like yourself. There are great kits, they have instructions, decals, all parts included and usually test flown for stability. No fuss, no muss and usually cheaper. Less headache, for the hobbyist, quicker build, therefore, quicker to launch time As for Baby Bertha vs Big Bertha....cost of business...you need to charge so much just to make it viable.....example... An all vegetable meal should be cheaper than a meat base meal but as a Famous chief, restaurateur explain, you need to charge so much money to account for the labor...who prepare and cook the food, not to mention electricity, lease payment, licenses etc

I am a retired Electrical engineer, designing, a rocket from scratch with all the headaches does not entertain me. I live for the thrill, the roar, the flame and smell of the Black Powder.
I have to respectfully disagree; Dave's statement may be a bit blunt but it is neither sanctimonious or arrogant, and definitely not stupid. His first statement was "Kits are fine". No direct hit on kits if that's your thing. But he's right on about needing to develop skill. That's why kit manufacturers put "Skill Levels" on most of their kits. A ballistic recovery of a rocket or falling debris from a CATO can do a great deal of damage, possibly harm; Especially if it's Mid/Hi- Power. Developing skill is the best way to responsibly enjoy any hobby. Scratch building, though not the only way, is a great way to develop those skills in this hobby. The fact that you want to get to the "launch" aspect right away is fine for you. Many others feel the same and that's fine for them. It is, in fact, very exciting. But to imply that kits are, and have always been, the end all and be all of this hobby is what is arrogant.. and ignorant. Easily half of the people I fly with, in all power classes, scratch build and have since I started in this hobby back in 1975, so please don't suggest that this has started "recently". Estes came out with the "Designers Special" back in 1978. This was not only to support scratch builds but to encourage it by removing the largest hurtle, acquiring the parts. I can assure you, if there wasn't a LARGE body of scratch builders, Estes wouldn't have gone through the expense of offering up such a product. We scratch builders, like many, enjoy the design and build as much, if not more than the launch. It adds a dimension of personal satisfaction you can't get from a kit. Please remember that the next time you decide to cast derision's. Also remember, this is the "Scratch Built" sub forum. Many of those who drop in here Won't necessarily share your views.

Again, I have no dog in this "disagreement", but I feel compelled to say this....I love kits, especially if it requires a new skill that I may not have heard of, or not already learned. I learn that skill from the kit and then go on to use it on a "Scratch-build". Speaking of which...I will be starting on a "scratch-build" of the hypothetical 'operational' Manned Orbiting Lab. I figure about 1/24th scale should do it. I'll probably build it along side the 1/6'th scale G.I. Joe Gemini model that I'm doing for my Grandsons. I'll be using 'Delta 7 Studios' 1/24th scale Gemini kit for the patterns to cut out the balsa for. Given that I live about 1/2 mile from the Main Gate to Wright-Patterson A.F.B., I'll probably be using "D" class engines in a side by side configuration per the 'real' Titan. I haven't decided whether or not the S.R.B.s will fire or not. If so, I'm thinking that I'll use "C" class engines. To fly it, given W-P's close proximity, I'll join Greene County's RC a/c club just to get the use of the field. Not only is it 6 mile away from the base, it sits in a valley. One can't be too safe these days. If lucky, flight testing will begin April of 2021, weather, of course, permitting. Cheers ;-))

Latest posts

Back