Bendy tape?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
Alright any of you who have ever watched a show on TV where a car, bike..anything is being painted you had to have seen them use this type of tape that is pretty thin bout 1/8 in. They use it to make flames frequently. I've used this before works wonders with those crazy paint schemes. sooo my question is...where do you get stuff like that?

Moocrew:
I'm an OLD sign painter, one of the ones that actually PAINT letter by hand:D I've Stripped many Car and trucks.
The material you talking about is Pin stripping tape. It's actually a 3m product in various widths from 1/8" to 3". Some come with 2 or 3 lines of varing widths on the same roll for dual line stripping. It has a very hi bond adhseive, but is not as permenant as real painted pin striped lines. Most any Auto Parts and Automotive Paint store will carry a complete line of these tapes in a bunch of colors.
You can make your own with self adhesive Monocoat vinyl sheeting, a straight edge and sharp X-acto knife. I've done this on several Fire trucks with great results. the Siver monocoat will last a good long time:)
Hope this helps.

Originally posted by moocrew
Alright any of you who have ever watched a show on TV where a car, bike..anything is being painted you had to have seen them use this type of tape that is pretty thin bout 1/8 in. They use it to make flames frequently. I've used this before works wonders with those crazy paint schemes. sooo my question is...where do you get stuff like that?

Head on over to an automotive store that carries auto paint and take a look at the supplies section, that is where I find that sort of tape. You can also get the same type of tape in the hobby shop in smaller rolls, marketed by Pactra for masking, but in the auto store you get much bigger rolls of it at a much better price, and there are usually more widths to choose from. I go to the auto store for mine!

Dave

Originally posted by moocrew

As the thers said, automotive pin striping tape. I striped most of my cars back in the day.

Also, Pactra sells "Trim Tape" striping. I got a package of 8 different widths (3/8 thru 1/32"), about 10' long I think, for $5. It's just as bendy as auto striping. It's probably the same stuff.

In the days of old, before computer were so widely used, Graphic artists used 'crepe tape' for lines & such. it came in various widths, like 1/64" and up. The electronic guys used it as well, to lay out their circuit boards... It's really glorified black masking tape!

You might be able to find some in the local graphic arts / techincal drawing / drafting shops..

The name 'chartpack' comes to mind..

thnx for all the replys ill defenitely have to head over to auto-zone soon. Ill im using this for is to mask off striped lines to be removed later when im done painting.

Thnx again! :D

Back