Belt clip for Eggfinder Rx?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
This is one of those "This seems like a good idea, but there's probably a reason nobody's done it before" things.

When I've used my Eggfinder, I have - on the trip out, anyway - had it in one hand and my phone in the other. But really, I don't NEED to hold the EF - unless the coordinates change, I know where to go. Mostly I'm watching the compass on my phone and walking out to the coordinates.

And once I've found my rocket, the EF is dead weight - I just need to walk back to the launch site and the EF is another thing to carry.

So I was thinking about getting something like this and screwing it to the back of the EF case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EAQUEU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know a lot of folks have really cool grip-handle cases for their EF Rx units, but it seems like having both hands free (especially if getting to your rocket requires any scrambling, and definitely for carrying a large HPR rocket back) would be helpful.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a shoulder strap for the very reasons you list above. I used some left over webbing and an old buckle that was laying around. I used 2 rivets on each side to hold the strap to the case.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629558.477042.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629524.331439.jpg

I carry a backpack, and once I've made it to the rocket I always take a picture of the LCD's screen (like to compare vs. the phone-reported GPS position), switch it off and put it in the backpack. Also have a water bottle or two, and usually the pad camera and when appropriate fly-away rail guide that I picked up from the pad before heading out for recovery. Sometimes use the backpack to help carry the upper-half of the rocket if it's bulky/awkward, and it's also my mobile garbage can to pick up any trash I find along the way, the previous igniter from the pad, etc.

Agreed – hands-free is the way to be!

I put a belt clip on the back of my LCD box.
Search Google for “Baofeng Belt Clip” - these are designed for a radio, inexpensive and works great. I also like the shoulder-strap Idea.

>>> Anyone have ideas for protecting the on-off switch – to make it more difficult to accidentally turn off?

2017-10-02 12.02.35.jpg

I have a Blue Tooth module in my LCD case. So I belt clip or shoulder strap would help me to carry less. But I would rather put it in a backpack since I don't really ever need to look at it. But I do need to put some kind of guard on the switch. Other then a giant red guarded switch.

You can get a key switch with a key that is removable when turned on. Turn it on, remove key. Hang the key around your neck.

That's a good idea. I have a spare key switch from a launch controller I built that would work. And there is plenty of room in/on that case.

Does anyone have any experience with the larger 15" antenna from MissleWorks? Looks like that higher gain would help out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back