I planned on doing a build thread on this, but since I knew the nose cone was going to be a learning process, I postponed. Never made a foam cone before and I also had great concerns about how to put a hard surface on it. Found a killer deal on a damaged sheet of 2” extruded polystyrene foam board and so the search was on for adhesives and coverings. This being a 6” nose cone made it senseless for me to consider turning it with balsa. That would be a pricey special order. I chose to try using Great Stuff as an adhesive and was quite satisfied with its ability to hold the pieces together. Too bad that I had to learn later that stacking disks of foam would have been way easier than stacking flat cuts that I chopped down to size with a hot knife. The knife was a big mistake as it charred the outer surface making it a bear to work down on the lathe. (this is a cut off from the block I am using. Quite charred and crystallized.) I also found out about using another adhesive just a bit late and I now have it for the next one. Glidden makes a primer called GRIPPER, that the “foam board community” in Hollywood and the artist that make large Halloween props have used for years. My tests with it went so well that I’m sold on it. Takes a few days to completely dry though. I got the nose cone down to size but I overdid it a bit and had to build up the surface with the Great stuff. After sanding that back down, there were a plethora of gaps and valleys left behind by the great stuff. Jim Hendrickson and I discussed a number of products to try as a filler/hardener and I saw a boat load of videos on YouTube that showed some promise, but the one I finally ordered online was a bust. I took his suggestion to use Durham’s Rock Hard Water Putty because I have used it before and I know how it is. What I didn’t know, was how seriously difficult this stuff is to sand. 60 grit will make for a smooth surface if you can believe that. I thought about using a turning tool on it, but feared I might chip away the surface. I got it down to a better surface, but it still needed some attention. I made a more diluted batch of putty and painted that on. Hopefully, I can work that down to a slicker surface. Chances are, I may not need to finish coat this with the DIY foam surface hardener I planned on using. I’ll save that for the next cone that doesn’t require Rock Hard Putty for a filler.