Behr Spray Paint

mtnmanak

Reaction score
Couldn't find any threads on the Behr spray paint. Maybe I just never saw it before, but I only recently found out Home Depot was making Behr spray paint. Haven't had time to do any tests or check it out. Not even sure if it is enamel or acrylic. My local HD only has black and white gloss (not sure if they make any other colors).

I am a big fan of Behr's house paints, wondering if they are making a good spray paint. Anyone try this brand yet?

1600093649464.png

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't find any threads on the Behr spray paint. Maybe I just never saw it before, but I only recently found out Home Depot was making Behr spray paint. Haven't had time to do any tests or check it out. Not even sure if it is enamel or acrylic. My local HD only has black and white gloss (not sure if they make any other colors).

I am a big fan of Behr's house paints, wondering if they are making a good spray paint. Anyone try this brand yet?
@mtnmanak Check out this thread.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score

mtnmanak

Reaction score
@mtnmanak Check out this thread.

I saw that one - the user says he used the paint (and it looks nice from the picture), but didn't give any details about the paint itself.

Easy to apply? Coverage? Recoat times? Durability? etc.

The label is not very helpful. Read it while standing there in the aisle in HD and it gives very little info about the paint (i.e. type and recoat times). Pretty much all enamels I have seen require you to recoat in an hour or two or wait 48 hours, for example. That is a pretty important piece of knowledge to avoid the paint getting all wrinkly from the off-gassing. In the absence of info, I always assume a paint needs 48 hours between coats if I don't get the next coat on within an hour, but it would be good to know exactly the timeframes you have to work with.

I know I need to bite the bullet and just get some - wouldn't mind having some good paint in the bucket if it turns out great, but just wanted to see if anyone in the forum has some first hand knowledge before I spend the time and money to find out it isn't all that great.

Frankly, painting is my least favorite part of rocketry and I am always interested in finding a better mouse trap, if it exists.

mtnmanak

Reaction score
Read a bunch of the reviews on the HD site. A lot of good ones, but the most common criticisms were "Paint bubbled on second coat" (not surprising with an enamel - seems egregious that the label doesn't specify wait times between coats - most users not familiar with the way these paints work will not wait 2 days between coats). The other criticism most common seemed to be that the nozzle was either missing or didn't work well. Could be a QA problem.

At about a 50% premium over the Rusto brand they carry, the paint would have to be pretty good to warrant switching. And Walmart's pricing for Rusto is about 5% cheaper (in my area) than the HD prices, so the Behr paint is pretty expensive, relatively speaking.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
New paint is always exciting. The Technical Data Sheet found here says "Enamel".

@samb We know we are nerds when we get excited about new paint. ;)

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
@samb We know we are nerds when we get excited about new paint. ;)

TRUTH ! New paint, new glue, new filler ... Thank goodness there's a place like the ol' forum where I can safely share my feelings. :)

BTW somebody at Behr has a sense of humor. Here are some of the colors: Baronial Brown, Unmellow Yellow, Flirt Alert, and Suger Beet.

Last edited:

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When it comes to what normal people call exciting, "As exciting as watching for new paints" isn't even on the anti-exciting list, which means it's even less exciting than watching the stuff dry.

Us: "You know, most paint doesn't really dry; it cures."

Them: "Get lost, nerd."

mtnmanak

Reaction score
Us: "You know, most paint doesn't really dry; it cures."

Them = Significant Others.

Which is why my significant other still doesn't understand why I get so upset when I encounter a "curing disaster" (which, for the record, is always my fault, but I don't tell her that. I always blame it on the darn paint/epoxy/etc.) She has forbidden me to talk about paint anymore. I lost my paint talking privileges years ago. I could force the issue, but then I might find fiberglass in my underwear. Never argue with the person that has unfettered access to your underwear.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's in Amok Time, during the fight scene, when McCoy tells him to "Be careful." I think right after giving him to fake death drug.

Last edited:

rharshberger

Reaction score
If you invoke the name of Gurney Halleck, you are required to pull out your baliset and put the quote to song :)
That would be the last thing you would want me to do....unless you want to call a worm of course...my songs usually involve a fair amount of alchol lubrication.

mtnmanak

Reaction score
I am never fond of people that ask questions and fail to go out and find answers for themselves, so I went and got a can of the Behr Gloss Black spray paint a tried it out on a Zephyr I had hanging around that was looking for some paint. I found the paint to be a solid "okay". It went on a bit thin compared to the standard Rusto and Krylon rattle can gloss blacks and, therefore, coverage was a bit less than those brands. Also, it wasn't as glossy, even with a few coats. Was planning to hit it with a clear gloss at the end anyway, but the regular gloss blacks from the other brands are definitely more glossy on the color coats.

I can't test durability yet, but my very limited experience is telling me not to buy more of this paint. It is perfectly acceptable and did a decent job, but at a cost of about 30-50% more than the standard Rusto and Krylon cans. It certainly is not worth that kind of premium in my opinion.

PXL_20201001_030034167.jpg

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I found the paint to be a solid "okay". It went on a bit thin compared to the standard Rusto and Krylon rattle can gloss blacks and, therefore, coverage was a bit less than those brands. Also, it wasn't as glossy, even with a few coats. Was planning to hit it with a clear gloss at the end anyway, but the regular gloss blacks from the other brands are definitely more glossy on the color coats.
Thanks for the report.

I am never fond of people that ask questions and fail to go out and find answers for themselves...
Be fair to yourself. The original question was:
Anyone try this brand yet?
You went out to find the answer to that question by asking it.

mtnmanak

Reaction score
Bumping my own thread - When I bought the can of Behr black gloss, I also picked up a can of white gloss. It has been sitting on the shelf now for weeks, but I tried it today on a body tube and it worked pretty well. Better than the black did. Nice thick coverage that didn't drip. Still not sure it is worth the premium. But in my gigantic sample size of "2" - Behr is batting .500

AngieVA

Reaction score
This paint is AWEFUL and is still wet to the touch after 24 hours. Do not buy!!

View attachment 431623

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This paint is AWEFUL and is still wet to the touch after 24 hours. Do not buy!!

In all fairness, MOST of the country right now does not have anywhere near the proper conditions to be spraying paint outdoors and expecting anything resembling satisfactory results.

Spitfire222

Where does the ignitor go again?
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness, MOST of the country right now does not have anywhere near the proper conditions to be spraying paint outdoors and expecting anything resembling satisfactory results.

Yup, especially nine months ago when that person posted.

mtnmanak

Reaction score

Very true!

I have been trying to paint my Level 3 project for weeks now and have wasted a number of cans of paint to humid/wet days. (I know, I should have waited for dryer days, but there is nothing more uncommon than common sense...) Duplicolor in particular seems to be incredibly sensitive to humidity. I am not sure if other people have experienced this, but in conditions above about 65% humidity, Duplicolor color coats are blotchy.

Last weekend was the first weekend (in the Northeast) in a long time that conditions were good for painting outside. Got the payload bay painted. Looks like we may get a couple 5 hour windows this weekend as well - hoping to take advantage of them!

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am never fond of people that ask questions and fail to go out and find answers for themselves, so I went and got a can of the Behr Gloss Black spray paint a tried it out on a Zephyr I had hanging around that was looking for some paint. I found the paint to be a solid "okay". It went on a bit thin compared to the standard Rusto and Krylon rattle can gloss blacks and, therefore, coverage was a bit less than those brands. Also, it wasn't as glossy, even with a few coats. Was planning to hit it with a clear gloss at the end anyway, but the regular gloss blacks from the other brands are definitely more glossy on the color coats.

I can't test durability yet, but my very limited experience is telling me not to buy more of this paint. It is perfectly acceptable and did a decent job, but at a cost of about 30-50% more than the standard Rusto and Krylon cans. It certainly is not worth that kind of premium in my opinion.

View attachment 433510
Nice job on the paint job!

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Actually to it sounds more like something Gurney Halleck would say.
Gurney Halleck of the rolling peaches? I saw them in a concert with Tracy McFadden at the Jousting Arena north of i95 ... not sure if G would like the potato salad? Anyway the rocket was built and I used some Behr paint and not what I expected for the price.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, especially nine months ago when that person posted.

As if January cold and wet was any better for painting?

All too often folks blame the paint, when not reading the directions and/or not having decent painting conditions conducive to a good finish are a major part of the problem. USER ERROR

icyclops

Reaction score
I use quality paint on my projects as I don’t like bad surprises. Krylon, Rusto, and some other good brands I have had success with. I would never use Home Depot brand paint (Behr) as I have used their house paint and it is terrible. So why should their spray paint be any good. I will not chance it and really don’t ever need to as long as you have amazon, michaels, or other sources that carry those brands. Having to redo spray paint on a roc is not fun….do it right the first time is my hope.
Spray many light coats with any commercial paint or clear coat is always best….just my recommendation.