Beginning of the End? New Motor Rules @ Bong...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandome

Reaction score
Just received this chilling email from Tripoli WI:

Until Further Notice :
The ATF has directed motors (propellent only) sales by pre-ordering only!
WildMan_Rocketry will not be able sell motors at Bong Recreational.
They will accept pre-orders and deliver them on launch days at Bong.
E-Mail Tim Lehr or call 866-707-9453 in advance for launch day delivery.

??? We need clarification on this, Tim! Does it only apply to H and above? Do I need a LEUP for HP, or does this work within that "proxy" agreement you worked out w/BATFE last year (or was it the year before)?

I'm just conveying the fact the BATFE has inserted itself into a club-launch arrangement, fundementally changing a system that had been approved by them in the past.

It sounds chilling and restrictive, and you can bet we are not the only club w/onsite vending that will be thusly affected. Ergo, my purpose for this post is to convey this NEWS to TRF members and while I'm at it...knowing that Tim will probably check this out because I mention 'Bong'...I figure I'd ask for clarification from him as to what this somewhat-vague message really means.

I'm not a HPR flyer (yet) but onsite motor sales are the only chance those of us without an LEUP have of flying such motors. Restriction of onsite sales would indeed be significant especially if this expanded to other launches.

I'm just conveying the fact the BATFE has inserted itself into a club-launch arrangement, fundementally changing a system that had been approved by them in the past.

It sounds chilling and restrictive, and you can bet we are not the only club w/onsite vending that will be thusly affected. Ergo, my purpose for this post is to convey this NEWS to TRF members and while I'm at it...knowing that Tim will probably check this out because I mention 'Bong'...I figure I'd ask for clarification from him as to what this somewhat-vague message really means.

This looks to me like a clarification on the BATFE policy that has been in place for years.

If you want to *buy* a motor or reload kit with more than 62.5 grams of APCP then you have to order it beforehand.

If you want the on-site dealer to sponsor your flight on their LEUP then you can make arrangements at any time because the motor is not being transferred on BATFE inspected logs.

Havign said that I suggest that we wait to see what Tim has to say about this Bong specific policy statement.

Talk to your local club and on-site vendor about the instructions that they've gotten from the BATFE on how to allow non-LEUP holders to legally fly. You can't take what you read here as being set in stone. You need to talk to the locals at your flying field to see what the specific legal arrangements are.

Back