beginner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Havoc821

Reaction score
well, I'm new at rocketry. I haven't bulit my first rocket on my own, but I have built one with the help of my boyfriend :D and the flight went perfect. Also, I've been to a rocket launch with him, and might be going to another one this coming weekend. I would like to build a rocket on my own, but I don't know which one would be best to start out with. any ideas?

Estes : Polaris / Baby Bertha / Big Bertha / Fatboy
Karl

fliskits triskelion(sp?) though they are in short supply, or go for a estes beta series, those are SUPER preformers. even on C6-5's the star dart and sizzler are advertised(and likely reach) to reach 2000'. which aint too shabby. plus, they can be put together in really short time. the star dart took me about 1 1/2 hours, and that included fillets on the fins and dry time. if you're looking for something bigger, i suggest an estes eliminator. its one of the straightest flying rockets i've ever seen. plus its got a 24mm mount, so you've got a WIDE option of motors, from dinky C11's all the way up to F21's. which will put that bird out of sight. plus its pre-painted and comes with a preassembled plastic fincan. that took me about an hour to assemble.

Start with Estes Alphas. They're pretty simple but are good for getting introduced in to rocketry. Big berthas are nice too.

There's tons out there. Just go for a real simple one and take you time. :D

Have fun!!!

Well, what do you hope to acomplish?

a) Your first rocket, all by yourself, or b) do you want to "impress" him????

If the answered "a)" get an Estes Gnome or Alpha III. Foolproof and good fun.

If you answered "b)" get a Goblin clone from Thrustline. Heck, if you're going to have to cut your own fins anyway, slap a "D" in your creation and let 'er rip!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, the Thrustline Goblin was one of my first purchases as a BAR, and it's *pretty darn* easy.....................

Originally posted by Mrs.Havoc821
well, I'm new at rocketry. I haven't bulit my first rocket on my own, but I have built one with the help of my boyfriend :D and the flight went perfect. Also, I've been to a rocket launch with him, and might be going to another one this coming weekend. I would like to build a rocket on my own, but I don't know which one would be best to start out with. any ideas?

Look around at what's available and pick one you like the looks of. Pick a "skill level 1" or "skill level 2". These are for beginners.

You'll want good instructions, so I'd suggest Estes, Quest or Semroc kits. A lot of people swear by Fliskits for beginners; I've never built one, but I don't doubt them.

Personally I'd recommend something with a plastic "fin can". That's a piece of plastic that goes on the bottom of the tube that has plastic fins already in place. You can learn to cut and sand balsa on the second rocket. For these, I'd suggest the Estes Alpha (your traditional sport model rocket) or the Quest Nike Smoke (scale model of a real sounding rocket) or Aries (realistic scale-like model made to look like an Ariane rocket, but not anything real).

And don't forget, while you'll need to build it the way the instructions say, you can finish/decorate it any way you want. Anything from flowers and teddy bears to annoy the guys at the launches, to a yellow and black Caterpillar Company paint scheme to match the body-robot that Lt. Ellen Ripley used to fight off the alien queen in "Aliens" (HOO lordy, you do NOT want an enraged mother anything coming after you).

Custom Rockets also makes some nice kits aimed at beginners like their Fiesta, Freedom, Razor, and Tristar kits. The Razor is a tube fin rocket with six tubes instead of conventional fins for stability. It flies great on any motor ranging from an A8-3 to C6-7.

These kits are rather on the small side but they're pretty inexpensive, assemble easily, look great and fly very well.

They also have more kits than the ones I've mentioned here.

Good luck.:)

The Estes Eliminator is pretty easy, and it flies great. It has a plastic fincan

Originally posted by AlexM
The Estes Eliminator is pretty easy, and it flies great. It has a plastic fincan

That would also be a good beginners rocket although it's 24mm and you need quite a bit of space if you fly it on D or E motors as it tends to really get up there.

On the other hand, it flies nicely and reaches a moderate altitude on a C11-5 and it is light enough to use an adaptor and 18mm C6-3 motors.

Mine recently made a very nice flight on a D12-7 to maybe 800-1,000 feet in altitude and landed maybe 200 feet from the pad in the dead still conditions we had that day.

You say you've built a rocket with the help of your boyfriend and now want to build one yourself for a launch this weekend.

Well first...

...let me say, your boyfriend has one *heck* of a girlfriend :) Took me 27 years to get my wife into it and she still doesn't build or launch, just kits and sells :)

I am Jim Flis, by the way, the founder of FlisKits that you've heard others mention.

We have many kits that would be suitable for a first time builder. I take it that you want to build this completely on your own?

That being the case, our Triskelioin kit can't be beat. I will admit that we are currently out of stock on this kit, but send me an email at [email protected] as I think I can scrape up the materials to kit one up for you if interested. It comes with laser cut fins and is a super quick build even for a balsa rocket. You can find out more about it here: https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/triskelion.htm

Another good skill level 1 kit from FlisKits is the OverDrive. It is a small rocket, but very cool looking and also with laser cut fins. You can read about it here:
https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/overdrive.htm

The other would be the Rhino. A little tougher build because of the large fins, but they too are laser cut: https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/rhino.htm

If you are ambitious, you could try a Long OverDue at Skill Level 2. WIth this kit, you have to cut out "Tube Fins". Not as hard as it sounds, with the provided templates, but makes for a very cool rocket:
https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/longoverdue.htm

This should give you some food for thought. Others have recommened kits that appeal to them for first rockets, and they are all fine choices. As you can see, one of the problems with this wonderful forum is that you actually GET answers to your questions :) :)

Feel free to contact me at any time if you have a question. If you wish to purchase a FlisKits model rocket kit, we can have it to you in 2 days flat.

jim

i can vouch for the triskelion being a SUPER beginners kit. AND an extremely good flier. jim, didnt someone build that in 45 minutes at the CMASS launch in tewskbury last month?
the eliminator is a great kit for cheap midpwr fun. even a G35 can be stuffed in that body tube. on an E30 that thing does about 2000' and on an F21...well...i'll tell you after the next CMASS launch. im predicting about 3000'. but who knows. maybe it'll cato. lol.

Originally posted by r1dermon
i can vouch for the triskelion being a SUPER beginners kit. AND an extremely good flier. jim, didnt someone build that in 45 minutes at the CMASS launch in tewskbury last month?
the eliminator is a great kit for cheap midpwr fun. even a G35 can be stuffed in that body tube. on an E30 that thing does about 2000' and on an F21...well...i'll tell you after the next CMASS launch. im predicting about 3000'. but who knows. maybe it'll cato. lol.

Yep, out of the package and on the launch pad in 45 minutes. very kewl for an all balsa kit

Originally posted by Mrs.Havoc821
any ideas?

I agree completely with all the suggestions above, there is a lot of great advice already posted
Having said that, maybe your choice will be determined by what is available on the shelf at your local stores?
If you are willing to wait for a mail-order, take a close look at the FlisKits Rhino and Triskelion.

Another vote for the Custom Razor. If you've got a flat tabletop, the fin tubes pretty much align themselves and you're rewarded with a great looking and great flying model. No painting neccesary.

Andy

Welcome to TRF!

I've been doing model rocketry since the beginning of June and have managed to build/assemble and fly 6 kits so far.

They are, with my comments:
1. Estes No. 2 Skywriter - very easy model, over 2 feet long, looks like a yellow pencil, has the plastic fin can, flies nice and high
2. Estes Stars & Stripes - very easy, has the plastic fin can, the shock cord is WAY too short. I retired this one after only 3 flights.
3. Quest Mirage - very easy, has the plastic fin can, it's a payload rocket with 2 sections that recover on 2 parachutes. This one is a lot of fun.
4. Estes Patriot Missile - my first rocket w/ balsa fins. Still an easy build and flies great.
5. Quest Intruder - my second rocket w/ balsa fins, this one looks really cool and flies great too! I actually primed and painted this one. :)
6. Estes Freaky Flyer - do NOT get this one. It's a tiny plastic rocket that starts to warp after the first flight. Uses Estes mini motors.

I've also built but haven't yet flown these, with my comments:
1. Quest Antari - very easy, plastic fin can, only uses A8-3 motors
2. Quest Totally Tubular - very easy, tube fin rocket like the Custom Razor others have mentioned above.

I prefer Quest kits just because they are less expensive than Estes. At some point I'm sure I'll buy something from FlisKits, Apogee/DynaStar or somewhere else.

I would like to recomend either the triskelion or the rhino from fliskits as stated earlier the triskelion was built in a short amount of time and I loaned the young man the motor to fly it and it did remarkable well (perfect flight) for a fast build. the rhino is a extremely good flier and a relativly simple build its flights are predictable even in the wind, it is the rocket that we use to test the wind when I go out with the family to launch.

Firstly, I would recommend an Estes skill level 1 kit, available at almost any hobby shop and even some Walmarts.

If you are interested in buying mail order, several Squirrel Works kits would be suitable. The Space Ranger, Gremlin, Stinger and Vulture are all easy to assemble. All come with laser cut parts, so you don't have to worry about miscutting fins. All come with decals, so finishing is a snap.

Maybe best of all, the Freebird is super easy to build and just happens to be free.

Thanks everyone!!!! I'm probably going to go shopping sometime this week or next for a rocket since I have the money now. I'll tell ya'll which rocket I ended up choosing if I can find one here. If not, I'll probably go to the websites ya'll mentioned and find one that's best. Thanks again! :)

Originally posted by Fore Check
Well, what do you hope to acomplish?

a) Your first rocket, all by yourself, or b) do you want to "impress" him????

If the answered "a)" get an Estes Gnome or Alpha III. Foolproof and good fun.

If you answered "b)" get a Goblin clone from Thrustline. Heck, if you're going to have to cut your own fins anyway, slap a "D" in your creation and let 'er rip!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, the Thrustline Goblin was one of my first purchases as a BAR, and it's *pretty darn* easy.....................

well, I want to do both, but I'm sure he'll be impressed that I built a rocket on my own. I was hoping to have one finished by the launch this coming Saturday, but I'm really slow and I'm a blonde ( You can ask him yourself, and he'll tell you the same thing) but I am smart too in a way. I just don't know all the stuff I'm going to need. I know I'm going to need glue and the actual pieces to the rocket, but is that all?

Originally posted by jflis

Well first...

...let me say, your boyfriend has one *heck* of a girlfriend :)

awww. thanks. I really wasn't really into rockets until I went to my first rocket launch with him back in March, and I mean there was some BIG rockets there. He really doesn't think that I'm into his hobby. I mean, I'm not as into it as he is because he's been doing it for quite a while. I'm sure after the first rocket, I'm going to be as hooked to rockets as he is.

take it from experience, once you start, here's no way you can willingly stop. not only that, but as soon as you recover a c6 flight, you'll ask yourself, how can i make this baby go faster and higher. thats why i recommended the eliminator. it can be flown to barely 200 feet on a c11, but it can also be flown on a G(so im told) which makes this rocket EXTREMELY versatile. best part is, i made mine in 1 hour, and this was only after i had made ONE other rocket, and that was a BETA skill 1 estes wizard. not only that, but the eliminator flies REALLY straight, high on E's, doesnt need paint, and is VERY durable, with a plastic fincan. and ts only like...22 bucks or so..sold choice if yo ask me.not that Iam tryng to push estes prducts. its just a good rocket. period.

Yeah, I would be jealous and impressed with the Thrustline Goblin clone, its one I've been wanting to get as well as that Fliskits Duece's Wild. The Mean Machine would impress me that "you" built it, but jealous, no, I have something bigger. hehehehe:D Any of those Estes kits that they mentioned with the exception of a few would be good kits.

Note to everybodyelse:

We built the Quest Icarus (named Lovebird, hehehe) together and she did great with the building so I think she can handle the balsa fin rockets just fin. She even made better epoxy fillets than I did (but don't get use to it Shayna, ;) )! We were going to order the PML Small Endeavor for our first "big" rocket together but I got a car and it needs new tires so, sorry honey. As far as her seeing big rockets she saw a HUGE scale Sandhawk fly on a hybrid L as well as our club's president rockets CATO on Hybrids and my uncertified (I'm only 16) L1 flight on the 4inch Horizon on an H128. Just to give you a background on what she has seen and knows.

I have the Eliminator that they are talking about that I coverted into a video camera rocket (Eye in the Sky 8). It would be a great kit but if you want that rocket let me give you my 50% coupon for the space and rocket center because $20 is too much for that kit if you ask me. Could I at least watch you build it and provide tips and hints? I PROMISE I won't get in the way, YOU can build it. I REALLY mean it! :p Fliskits has some REALLY nice rockets as well as Thrustline and the best part is that the owners of those companys all reside here in TRF! Well, good luck in your journey for rocket shopping! I love you!

You know what is even cooler? She doesn't just like rockets, she even loves me too! Now that is rare! :D

I would also reccommend the Estes Stromcaster for a rocket because if you use the Michael's 40% off coupon and stop giving it to me, even though I don't mind, you could get the rocket for like $7! It is fairly big and easy to build. As far as building materials I would have:

a rocket (go wonder)

hobby knife (being the blonde you are you should be VERY careful because I know it wouldn't take 5 minutes before you end up in the ER) :rolleyes: ;)

super glue (to tack the fins on so they stay in place when you do epoxy fillets

epoxy (to build the rocket with, DUH!)

PAPER TOWELS (you will need tons of these because YOU will make a mess, remember the way you eat, ok multiply that by 5 that is how mess I see this beiong especially with epoxy.) ;) :rolleyes: :p I'm just kidding, you will do fine! :D

masking tape (millions of uses)

spray paint (Krylon is a good brand, once agaion use 40% coupopn to get good deal)

painter's tape (the blue stuff, to mask off the areas on the rocket so that you can paint them different colors, if you want)

and last but not least, ME :D so I can watch and help when needed!

Well, have fun and can I please go shopping with you? I Love You!

P.S. in the attached picture is Shayna at the rocket launch in Manchester, TN in March.

that's not a good picture of me (even thought Chris will disagree, he likes every single picture of me), and yes, you can go shopping with me, but just don't spend ALL of your money on stuff for you, b/c I don't have much. And I guess you can watch me ;) , but don't try and build it, okay. And you can only watch me build it if you promise to show me how to make a camera rocket, okay? but about the whole mess thing, you sometimes made a bigger mess than I do so you really can't be talking :D . I need to go. I Love You baby!!! Hope you read this.

Back