Beginner questions about literature.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim111

Reaction score
Hi

I'm completely new to rocket engines so have some patience with me and my limmited knowledge.

I have been active in drag racing for a while and am interested in building and experimenting with small rocket engines.

Is there any good literature on the subject that I should get myself?

It seems that most people use hydrogen peroxide in the concentration of 90-98%
However, I do not know if I have the potential to produce larger amounts of hydrogen peroxide.

I can however make oxygen and I have pressurized gases to 6000 psi and would theoretically be able to compress gas to around 9000 psi.
Could I use this to power a hybrid or liquid fueled rocket? or do I need liquid oxygen?

Most of what you'd want to discuss isn't compatible with the rules of the open portion of this forum.

As a cautionary note : high test peroxide & LOX both turn things like steel and concrete and humans into fuel.

Okay sorry, I'll read through the rules more carefully.

Could this thread be moved to a more appropriate place perhaps?

So I read rule number nine.
If I understand right so should I post this in the research forum which is not open to everyone.
Thus I understand that this cannot be discussed.

Forget about everything I asked, but could someone advises me on some good books I can read and I will not ask any more inappropriate questions.

Thanks for all the help it is appreciated!

/Jim H.

I have ordered

Rocket Propulsion Elements by George P. Sutton Ninth Edition

History of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines by same author

Amateur Rocket Motor Construction by David G. Sleeter

Gladly receive tips on more literature!:)

Welcome to the forum. You are looking in the wrong place.

Rocket Propulsion Elements is available on archive.org

If you have a strong enough background in math and physics to read this for understanding, you won't need the help of anyone you are likely to encounter on this forum.

If you don't have the math to get through Sutton on your own, then you are just going to be following recipes for solutions other folks have worked out -- and your proposed application is too different from the kinds of rockets discussed here for there to be much for you to copy.

You might want to look at "Fundamentals of Hybrid Combustion and Propulsion". A hybrid might be easier in your application. Still not without its challenges.

I assume you have heard of the Bloodhound car. That has a hybrid motor that runs on HTP (high test prroxide).

Both Sutton books are a good read.

Back