Beginner question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSurgerist

Reaction score
Good day,
I'm just getting started into the hobby, and finished designing my first low-powered rocket in Openrocket. I based my build on supplies that I could find on https://www.allrockets.ca/, but then once I checked the shipping cost, it turned out to be much higher than expected(23$) which is pretty much the price of the order itself. In order to reduce the costs, I'm looking at 3 options:

1- Build every part myself, bulk order rocket engines of multiple sizes. I'm really trying to avoid this option for now, because this is the first rocket I'm designing and I would rather test the quality of the design and learn basic construction of the rocket. The more parts I DIY, the less i will be certain of what my mistakes are when they happen.

2- Order all of the parts in bulk. The shipping price (CanPar. Ground) does not seem to increase if I order the same parts in larger quantities, this would offset the cost of shipping in the long run, but also increases the chances of wasting excess materials.

3- Find somewhere else to buy, preferably in my local area. However, I live in Saint-Jérôme (north of Montréal), and i can't find anything remotely close to me that sells model rocket supplies.

So I was hoping that some of you share their wisdom and help me make an informed decision on that issue.
Bonus question: Anyone knows spots to launch in QC?

They seem to be more geared towards kits. For example, there are no body tube and centering rings. Shipping is actually more expensive too since their free shipping is not valid if there are motors in the order.

My Canadian relatives would bring their RV down to the States and stock up at Costco or wherever. You could do the same. The trick is to always declare something at the border. My parents were experts.

Never been in a Hobby Lobby. Do they stock rocket parts? There's one in Plattsburgh.

My Canadian relatives would bring their RV down to the States and stock up at Costco or wherever. You could do the same. The trick is to always declare something at the border. My parents were experts. Never been in a Hobby Lobby. Do they stock rocket parts? There's one in Plattsburgh.

I usually pick up the odd rocket or two when at Hobby Lobby, but they don't stock parts. Also, the border is currently closed for non-essential travelers to/from Canada, and will likely be so until spring of next year.

cheers - mark

Good day,
I'm just getting started into the hobby, and finished designing my first low-powered rocket in Openrocket. I based my build on supplies that I could find on https://www.allrockets.ca/, but then once I checked the shipping cost, it turned out to be much higher than expected(23$) which is pretty much the price of the order itself. In order to reduce the costs, I'm looking at 3 options:

1- Build every part myself, bulk order rocket engines of multiple sizes. I'm really trying to avoid this option for now, because this is the first rocket I'm designing and I would rather test the quality of the design and learn basic construction of the rocket. The more parts I DIY, the less i will be certain of what my mistakes are when they happen.

I'm in Ontario and buy almost all of my building supplies from allrockets. Their shipping speed is fantastic and their customer service is top notch. I'm actually only a couple of hours drive from them and just about every order I put in gets to me next day. The shipping costs are unfortunately a fact of life in Canada. I try and anticipate what I'll need for the next couple of builds and launches and order probably 3-4 times a year to try and keep shipping costs under control.

If you are a beginner just getting started, I'd definitely advise starting with some LPR models to practice your building and finishing skills. Practicing on some easy to build three fin/nose cone models before moving on to more complex designs will save you a lot of frustration.

cheers - mark

Salut RocketSurgerist

Moi aussi, je suis au Quebec, Montreal (Pointe Claire actually!)

Your best bet for a "custom build" from basic / standard parts: Buy a kit and 'kit bash'. A kit will give you everything you need: Body tube, Nosecone, motor mount, chute, etc... You then only need buy a sheet of balsa and cut your own fins. I do this, and have picked up a few kits on special at the local hobby shop (Teds Hobbies in Pointe Claire: https://www.tedshobbyshop.com/ ask them too! Motors too!!)

The Estes 'Designer's box' has fans, but I'm not one of them.. Kits on special.. parts are parts..

Having said that, I just gave a local teacher & rocket guy a bunch of stuff. What are you after? I may just have something for you.. (Meet up in Laval?!)

As for launching in Quebec, that's hard. We only have the QRC (https://clubqf.ca/en/ ). And any 'open space' is either corn or cows, or a lake!! (And for you: ski hills!) I used to fly off my R/C field (corn field with a runway, but long since closed) And now I fly out of VT: CRMRC.org. That is, until Covid hit! We have a quite a few from the Montreal area. You won't get better / closer with the waiver (10k feet) & number of launches per year (once a month, regardless of snow!) For local LPR stuff, go find a local farmer and ask them for launch permission, that is about your best / only bet!

I am planning a few launches for the few club members from Montreal, but will likely be in Brossard..

Last edited:
I should add that there is also UDISCO on Decarie. While they are liquidating their stock to close down, they do have the odd kit and a bunch of motors. Check their hours, as they are only open certain times & on certain days. They are (were?) the best prices in the city. It's been a while since I was in there, so not too sure as to their status these days..

Back