Beginner in UK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

125cc

Reaction score
Hello everyone. As per the title I'm a beginner having had a life-long interest in rocketry/spaceflight. I was inspired to take it up as my two kids (who are still too young to be involved with rocketry yet) have started a massive fascination with all things space and rockets recently.

I'm a private pilot and work in air traffic control so fully aware of the legalities & responsibilities laid out in the ANO. I have also read/digested the information on UKRA's website in depth. Having done so I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can advise on.

-Insurance. UKRA strongly recommends insurance for obvious reasons. That said, I live in the North of Scotland in a rural area. The areas I would like to fly from are uninhabited with no property, animals or other objects around and well away from the local airport or habitation. Do I require insurance where there is practically zero risk? I have ruled out joining a club as my nearest one is almost 200 miles away.

-Motors/Propellant Transport. If I understand correctly I require an RCA letter for transporting motors up to D impulse. In other words, when I am driving to/from launch site. Is this correct? I only ask as I've never done this before having bought fireworks from the supermarket!

-UKRA membership. If I'm launching on my own and quite happy to do so, is there any merit in UKRA membership?

Many thanks for your time and happy flying (when we are allowed to that is!).

125cc

Take this with a gram of salt, since I'm in the US, but unless you're a real loner you'll have a tremendous amount of fun attending a club's rocket launch. Especially if it's a well-attended launch and involves some high-power flights. You'll likely see projects that give you ideas that you wouldn't have considered otherwise. And you'll get more useful information than you thought possible, just by wandering around and talking to fellow rocketnuts. Pack a lunch, drive the 200 miles (that's how far I had to drive to see my first high-power launch), make a day of it.

Have fun! -- Terry

Thanks for your reply Terry. I had given it some thought however it's about a 5-hour drive from here so realistically an overnight trip. It would be nice to get to know some rocketry folks however it doesn't seem to be a well-known hobby here. I suspect as anything remotely intelligent or involving excitement quickly gets stamped down upon in Britain. Trust me, as a pilot I know!

-Insurance. UKRA strongly recommends insurance for obvious reasons. That said, I live in the North of Scotland in a rural area. The areas I would like to fly from are uninhabited with no property, animals or other objects around and well away from the local airport or habitation. Do I require insurance where there is practically zero risk? I have ruled out joining a club as my nearest one is almost 200 miles away.

-Motors/Propellant Transport. If I understand correctly I require an RCA letter for transporting motors up to D impulse. In other words, when I am driving to/from launch site. Is this correct? I only ask as I've never done this before having bought fireworks from the supermarket!
I don't know anything about the UK rules, but if the UKRA "strongly recommends" insurance, that to me suggests it is recommended but not required. Here in the USA, I believe most rocketeers only have the insurance that comes with NAR or Tripoli membership, which only provides coverage for official club launches. I have launched non-HPR rockets on my own in a park or other secluded place and I assume I have no insurance coverage, just try to be extra careful and safe.

What's an RCA letter? Are you sure it isn't a requirement for motors "over" D impulse rather than "up to" D impulse? I spend my summers in Slovakia, motors up to and including D are sold in most hobby shops, but E and higher are quite difficult to find anywhere in Europe.

I believe most rocketeers only have the insurance that comes with NAR or Tripoli membership, which only provides coverage for official club launches. I have launched non-HPR rockets on my own in a park or other secluded place and I assume I have no insurance coverage,

I don’t know about Tripoli (though I doubt it’s different), but NAR insurance also covers individual launches so long as you follow the safety code.

I don’t know about Tripoli (though I doubt it’s different), but NAR insurance also covers individual launches so long as you follow the safety code.
Interesting, and you appear to be right. The NAR FAQ page seems ambiguous, on one hand it says:
"NAR insurance helps protect the NAR member from liabilities arising out of NAR sport rocketry activities."
"You should file a claim anytime there is an incident at an NAR event which results in more than $500 in property damage or personal injury."
On the other hand, and more to your point, it also says:
"NAR insurance covers only flights at launch events conducted as a part of the NAR’s non-profit educational and recreational missions, and flights done by NAR members for their own personal purposes. "

Suggest you get in touch with John Bonsor, the UKRA secretary and fellow Scot. He should be able to answer your questions about insurance and local regulations.
PM me, and I'll pass along his email to you.
Also, a good source of low and high power motors and kits in the UK is https://www.rocketsandthings.com/. Malcolm should be able to give you an indication of what he can ship.

Last edited:
If you join the BMFA then insurance comes with membership. You also receive a monthly magazine which normally has a bit of rocket stuff in it. it's also quite an interesting read.

regards
Steve

Joining BMFA is highly recommended as their insurance is excellent in scope and value.

Back