Beginner Executioner fix?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrawick

Reaction score
Hope this is in the right place.
I'm a beginner. I built a Estes Executioner say 6-8 years ago. It's just been sitting. I got it out this weekend and the rubber band for the chute and nose broke. How do I replace it with a cord.? Motor plates are cardboard and glued in place.

Thanks.

Given that the Executioner has a nice big body tube with plenty of room for the chute, what I would do is simply add a new trifold mount for a new braided elastic cord (make it nice and long, like 8' or so for that rocket, either 1/4" or 3/8" braided elastic). Cut off the old rubber band as close to the old mount as possible.

Others may be able tell you if there's a way to remove the old trifold; my gut reaction would be leave it there to avoid damaging the body tube. It would be a different story in a much narrower body where parachute is a tighter squeeze and you don't want the extra intrusions into the chute compartment.

Neil has it exactly right. Make a new mount out of typing paper. The exact size is not critical, just get close. I would use woven elastic (fabric section of WalMart) rather than the original rubber band. You can carefully peel the old mount out, using a paring knife or such, but I would just leave it in place.

I would use woven elastic (fabric section of WalMart) rather than the original rubber band.
I've used braided but not woven. Woven sounds good too, I'll have to try some if I can find it in the store sometime.

Do NOT use knitted elastic. I bought some by accident once... right into the garbage.

Welcome to the forum, perfect place for this question.

@neil_w ‘s solution should work. The only problem I see is if you can’t get the old mount out (and if it doesn’t come out easy, don’t force it) that residual hardened piece of elastic may stick out where you cut it and snag your chute. You may need a file or rasp to file it down smooth.

Executioner is a pretty rocket, so going with a replaced internal mount will give you the best cosmetic result and the best aerodynamic result. If you just want to fly it and are not too concerned about looks, you can poke a hole about midway down the body with a needle, place a loop of Kevlar around the rocket, thread the Kevlar through the hole and out the front. Put a piece of tape around the loop around the rocket (I use Mylar, it’s shiny and says, “Yeah, I meant to do that!”). I’ve never been a fan of the trifold mounts, I want the inside of my rocket to have a smooth uninterrupted contour so the chute and wadding come out unimpeded.

that said,
@kevindcornwell posted this trick for smooth flat trifold mounts

The OP referred to a common problem, that of a ragged trifold snagging a chute. I've used the balloon clamp method with excellent results - a perfectly smooth and flat trifold every time. Insert a small party balloon into the tube so the balloon end is below the trifold (may need an long balloon used in making balloon animals). Blow it up - it will press the trifold firmly into the tube, the pressure will ensure an even distribution of glue, and the balloon will peel right off when you pop it the next morning.

stolen from this thread, post 17

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...rd-trifold-mount-with-a-better-system.155646/
straight trails!

I’ve never been a fan of the trifold mounts, I want the inside of my rocket to have a smooth uninterrupted contour so the chute and wadding come out unimpeded.
I generally agree, but the Executioner is a 2.6" rocket with a 24" chute. Nothing's gonna stop that thing from coming out.

I generally agree, but the Executioner is a 2.6" rocket with a 24" chute. Nothing's gonna stop that thing from coming out.
Oh, you just don’t know me. There is NOTHING that I cannot, somehow, render dysfunctional, usually with very little effort on my part, and sometimes with great effort but no intention.

Had to check the instructions first.
The original shock cord mount is not a tri fold.
The rubber cord passes through the forward fiber centering ring through a slit then knotted.
Cut off the rubber cord as close to the centering ring as you can reach.
Make a paper or cardstock tri fold mount like this:
0308211502[1].jpg

Then use an elastic shock cord, at least 1/4" wide. The longer the better.
Assemble the shock cord mount as per below:
est1997c.png

Good for many more flights.
Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, perfect place for this question.

@neil_w ‘s solution should work. The only problem I see is if you can’t get the old mount out (and if it doesn’t come out easy, don’t force it) that residual hardened piece of elastic may stick out where you cut it and snag your chute. You may need a file or rasp to file it down smooth.

Going to Chime in on this one as I run into this all the time when restoring old rockets.

Simply pull what is left of the old shock cord out. If a tri-fold paper mount was used originally then there is a real good chance you used some type of white glue or non water resistant wood glue. It seems like everyone used Elmer glue back in the day.

Simply take a damp paint brush (not dripping wet) and brush over the old paper mount. Hot water works best and you might need to do this twice before it lets go. Patience is you friend here. Let it sit for 5 mins then take any old stick that is long enough to reach it and simply scrap it off the inside of the tube. Works almost every time.

If you tied it to the upper centering ring per the instructions. Simply clip it off and use the tri-fold mount to add a new one.

Back