Beginner almost

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfinder293

Reaction score
Im almost a beginner in rockety. But did them when I was a kid. That was 25 some years ago. So im back in it whith my little girl, which she is 5 year old now. And loves it ! I did a lots of ww2 Plastic models when I was a kid and still to models. Still have some of them when i was 13 are so to this day. So for starts we buyed a Ester starter kit. Let her pick it out. and let her fire that bad boy up. I didn' thank she would like rockerty at all. Boy was i wrong. Had to change out the shockcord out. It was to short and the nose cone was hiting the top of the BT. And she was right there helping to change it out. We also did some downloads from fliskits. Next mouth were going to a launch in houstion Texas. It realy feels good to do things that your kid like to do as much as you do. Im planing to build the estes GBU-24 Paveway with some mod. too it. all keep yal posted.

I hate to tell you this, but you just missed a half-price sale at Hobby Lobby. (They will probably have another in a few months)

A longer piece of elastic is an excellent idea. You can get that stuff cheaply in the sewing section of W-mart.

Originally posted by troutfinder293
Im almost a beginner in rockety. But did them when I was a kid. That was 25 some years ago. So im back in it whith my little girl, which she is 5 year old now. And loves it ! I did a lots of ww2 Plastic models when I was a kid and still to models. Still have some of them when i was 13 are so to this day. So for starts we buyed a Ester starter kit. Let her pick it out. and let her fire that bad boy up. I didn' thank she would like rockerty at all. Boy was i wrong. Had to change out the shockcord out. It was to short and the nose cone was hiting the top of the BT. And she was right there helping to change it out. We also did some downloads from fliskits. Next mouth were going to a launch in houstion Texas. It realy feels good to do things that your kid like to do as much as you do. Im planing to build the estes GBU-24 Paveway with some mod. too it. all keep yal posted.

Welcome!

Where in Houston? I'm a member of the Challenger 498 Rocket Club in Houston.
( https://www.challenger498.org ), and I'm new to model rocketry as of this past June.

Sounds like fun! If your girl is 5 and already helping you to fix shock cords and stuff, it sounds like you already have a steely-eyed rocket chick on your hands. :D :D

Watch out, she'll be telling you, "Hey Daddy, we need more nose weight in that rocket or it will be unstable!! Remember the CG has to be in front of the CP..." ;)

She'll probably want RockSim for her 7th birthday and build a scale space shuttle for Barbie to ride in... :D :D

Congrats on your return to rocketry and welcome to the forum :) The best family friendly place on the net!

I am glad that the downloads that we have on FlisKits are working out for you as well. Which ones have you tried?

Keep us posted and post pictures if you can! :)

jim

The Challenger 498. I hav'it e-mail them yet to find out more. But I noted that the web site that you have is differt then the web site that i was going to.
www.geocities.com/area51/shuttle/1957
please let me know.
And soon i get my Digital camera rolling I'll put in some pics. of the the fliskits. So for we've builded the 13mm cino, delta flying sauce,cone rocket, pyramid and the qubit from art apple white but hav'it put them in the air yet. The rocket caution is a good rocket to let the kids do.
My little girl really likes it. Thank you.

Originally posted by troutfinder293
The Challenger 498. I hav'it e-mail them yet to find out more. But I noted that the web site that you have is differt then the web site that i was going to.
www.geocities.com/area51/shuttle/1957
please let me know.
And soon i get my Digital camera rolling I'll put in some pics. of the the fliskits. So for we've builded the 13mm cino, delta flying sauce,cone rocket, pyramid and the qubit but hav'it put them in the air yet. The rocket caution is a good rocket to let the kids do.
My little girl really likes it. Thank you.

That geocities site is an old one and is no longer valid. You might notice that the most recent launch schedule is from 2002.

The new Challenger 498 site is at www.challenger408.org (or .com works too). If you go there, there's a launch schedule, lots of pictures including *really* bad ones of me, and other info. We have launches on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month, including this coming Saturday. It's a fun, informal club and visitors are welcome to our launches. Hope to see you there.

Thank you for the infor. Hope to seeing you there. I live 3 hours from there. But we are planing to go up there mext mouth.
Here is some pics.

Originally posted by JRThro
The new Challenger 498 site is at www.challenger408.org (or .com works too).

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I think you mean...

www.challenger498.org

:D ;)

It's OK, my fat fingers punch out typos all the time. ;) Very cool web site, with a lot of pics!!

I'm jealous of you guys, you can yell, "Houston, we are go for launch!!" before every launch... :D

Not to mention fly just about any week of the year, without having to tromp through waist-deep snow like we up north will have to for about the next 4-5 months. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JStarStar
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I think you mean...

www.challenger498.org

:D ;)

It's OK, my fat fingers punch out typos all the time. ;) Very cool web site, with a lot of pics!!

I'm jealous of you guys, you can yell, "Houston, we are go for launch!!" before every launch... :D

Not to mention fly just about any week of the year, without having to tromp through waist-deep snow like we up north will have to for about the next 4-5 months. :rolleyes:

I'll go ahead and leave my typo as is, so your reply will make sense.

Thanks for catching that, btw!

We do have to worry about waist-deep water or waist-deep grass some places around Houston, though.

Welcome (back) to the hobby! My daughter is also becoming a steely-eyed rocket girl. She actually looks forward to our section's monthly meets. In fact, she opted out of the streamer duration competition because she got serious butterflies in her stomach! Once I told her she didn't have to compete she relaxed enough to fly for fun.

here is those 13mm from art apple white. She put the glue on with some help. But she whats to paint then still. What colors Pink,blue and red. :p

And the rocket caution from fliskits download. This rocket flys pertty dam good if you do it right. It was a little trouble to get the fins striating out. But after putting some weight on them and let them dry over night there good to go. My girl loves this rocket. She was right there helping me or should i say her?. ez to build. Her next rocket is a estes cruise missile. You see in the back ground going to sand it down and repainted blue and white and call it the blue bird zero cruiser.
What can I say.

Your CAUTION rocket looks great :) You will find the fins are easier to make with less warping if you use a glue stick instead of white glue.

kewl :)

Back