Beerlofter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oberon

Reaction score
So today I discovered rather serendipitously that a full bottle of beer fits quite nicely into Estes PSII 2.5" tubing, almost like it was made for it. I've got a Partizon that is mostly stock, except that I've converted the uppermost body tube into a payload section (also a Kevlar/tubular nylon recovery harness and 1010 rail buttons). I have some foam pipe insulation I could use to prevent fore-and-aft motion of the bottle.

Any special considerations for lofting a relatively heavy liquid payload in a relatively light rocket? Think it will work, given sufficient oomph (OR predicts about 60fps off the rail with an H180 Skidmark)?

Sounds good to me. This might be a nice job for a Ventris too.

Edit: But, unfortunately, you can't drink the beer in celebration at a NAR launch. (I don't know about TRA, but I doubt booze is allowed.)

I think the same reason why beer bottles and fancy drinks around pools and beaches would apply here: (potential) broken glass.

I'd prefer to see a can or plastic bottle for your liquid payload..

Sorry, safety first..

I think it is better to celebrate your day of flying afterwards at home with a cold brew, or, to drown your memories of all the Cato's and ballistic returns. Better yet, design a rocket that looks like a beer bottle and fly that.

Sounds good to me. This might be a nice job for a Ventris too.

Edit: But, unfortunately, you can't drink the beer in celebration at a NAR launch. (I don't know about TRA, but I doubt booze is allowed.)

Well, I believe with TRA it's "ok" as long as it's the last launch of the day. At some remote launches people are living in motorhomes and trailers. Would be too hard to police what goes on in someone's abode. Kurt

At balls we have had rockets with kegs (plural, in one rocket) launched. And not sissy pony kegs but the big 150 pounders.
Retention is a big issue with heavy containers. You can't drill, no place to tie on, glue not strong enough.
At Lucerne they did a beer loft, timed event from launch till consumed

M

Last edited:
To be clear, consumption of the "flight-proven" payload would occur after I got home, not on the field.

Back