Beer can Rocket!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Power004

Reaction score
First, no I’m not an alcoholic, and second, yes, I am crazy. Or maybe just drunk. :D I was drinking a Guinness Draft (the pint can with the “Rocket Widget” that’s supposed to taste like it came from the tap) my sister (known to TRF as Lepredwarf) said, “This would make a great body tube”. I loved the idea, I cut the top off, then put a hole in the bottom the size of a C engine mount tube, therefore, it has a built in centering ring, now I could use some cardstock for the other centering ring right? Now I need a nose cone, I guess it would have to be custom-made. The diameter appears to be roughly 2.55” any ideas?

Edit: I am scrapping this idea, it is unsafe. I never even thought about the "I will not use any metal for the body tube etc." until it was mentioned in this post. MAKING A ROCKET OUT OF ANYTHING METAL IS A BAD IDEA.

You've got a LOT of nerve, mister!

Making a rocket out of a beer can AND NO PICTURES?!?! Why, shame on you! :( :mad:

Originally posted by lalligood
You've got a LOT of nerve, mister!

Making a rocket out of a beer can AND NO PICTURES?!?! Why, shame on you! :( :mad:

I know, I know, I don't have a digital camera. I will post pics when my 35mm film runs out and I get it developed onto a CD.:( :D

I guess it's time for me to post my beer can rocket. I built this prototype about eight or ten years ago because somebody told me I couldn't make a beer can fly.

It was one of those quick and dirty slap together deals once I got the rear end of the can cut out the way I wanted it.

Disclaimer: This was not a "model rocket". It violates model rocket safety codes. This rocket was built and flown years ago at an experimental launch where metal airframes were allowed and safety proceedures were used to minimize danger.

tim

beercanrocket1.jpg
beercanrocket2.jpg

Notice that I made it out of a Bud Light can...so it would be lighter than a regular beer can rocket. :D

Originally posted by Max_Power004
I was drinking a Guinness Draft (the pint can with the “Rocket Widget” that’s supposed to taste like it came from the tap)

The 'Rocket Widget' is in the draft bottle. The can only has a ball about 3/4" diameter.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
The 'Rocket Widget' is in the draft bottle. The can only has a ball about 3/4" diameter.

I stand corrected, I knew that the cans had a ball, I just firgured that they were both called "rocket widgets"

zep: does that can fly well? I planned on putting wadding and a parachute in this with a nosecone if i can get one that fits. Would it be possible to attach fins to the outside of the can?

I'm guessing that for this kind of rocket we just sort of set aside the rules about "I will use only lightweight, non-metal parts for the nose, body, and fins of my rocket. "

Seems to me that would kind of take the fun out of a beer can rocket!

WW

zep: does that can fly well? I planned on putting wadding and a parachute in this with a nosecone if i can get one that fits. Would it be possible to attach fins to the outside of the can?

It was stable, but the flat nose didn't do much for altitude even with the D12-3 motor I used. I used plenty of nose weight, but I don't remember how much. I planned on building another one with clear fins but never got around to it. The rocket only flew one time to prove it could be done and was thrown in the attic until I pulled it out for the pics, dust and all.

I don't know of a good way to attach fins to the can itself because of the glue adhesion issues and the thin flexible can wall. I guess I would use the "through the wall" method and anchor them to the motor mount tube.

As far as breaking the NAR safety code, this was not a NAR launch. I believe the little Estes D12 motor was the only commercially manufactured motor flown at the experimental launch. :)

tim

Just a thought Tim:
Since this rocket is a clear violation of the Model rocket safety code. I'd think you should go back and start your thread with a disclaimer. Explaining to all the young impressionable minds here that builidng ANY kind of Metal airframed rocket is NOT allowed and we just don't do it. I'm all in favor or flying Odd-Rocs but alumimum Beer can, Soda can, whatever cans are a NO NO, it's a safety issue. Don't they make plastic bottled beer containers that could have been used or simulate a can with the real label from a bottle or 6 pack box?
Safety first Tim.

Originally posted by Micromister
Just a thougt Tim:
Since this rocket is a clear violation of the Model rocket safety code. I'd think you should list is with a disclaimer. explaining to all the young impressional mind here that builidng ANY kind of Metal airframed rocket is NOT allowed. Beer can, Soda can, whatever it's a safety issue. Don't they make plastic bottled beer containers?

I was thinking the same thing about the metal airframe.

The only plastic beer container that I can think of are the plastice 16 oz. "wide-mouth" bottles from Miller (I think both Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft are available in this container.)

Due to the tapered cross section of the top of that plastic beer bottle, you could probably just strip the threads of that twist-off cap and use it as your deployment piece. Just drill a hole centered on the bottom of the bottle itself to accomodate a BT50, and run that bt50 all the way through to the neck, centering the tube in the neck near the top. The tube would serve as both the motor mount and recovery holding system. Attach the shock cord to the inside of the cap, which would eject at recovery system deployement. Cut slots in the plastic bottle for the fins and use a "through the wall" fin attachment, attaching the fin tabs to the bt50 running through. I'm sure it'd make a fine odd/beer roc!

You could probably remove the Miller labels and replace them with some other brand (like Guinness, in your case) that you make on your computer if you want to really get after it. In fact, if you used the clear bottle of the MGD version, you could paint the inside of the bottle black to really go with the look (the Miller Lite bottle is amber colored, if I recall correctly.)

Yeap1 that exactly what I thinking but wasn't sure to a "bumper" was about the same size as a 2 liter botte. which I fly on c's and D's all the time. Maybe not as cool as the beer can but a lot safer;)
Like Dr. Rocket Here.

Wow, it looks like I nearly laid out your build plan for "Dr. Rocket" without ever having seen the pic! :cool:

The beer bottle that I was describing is just a bit smaller, though. ;)

I'm scrapping this rocket see edited first post. I apologize if I misled anyone into making an unsafe rocket.

I'm scrapping this rocket see edited first post. I apologize if I misled anyone into making an unsafe rocket.

Hey man, no worries!

:)

That's why we're all here: to bounce ideas off each other, get new ideas, feedback, brag, show-off our projects, etc. Just because the feedback on your beer can rocket isn't quite what you expected, it's all good.

In fact, I thought the thread brought around some interesting ideas (at least for me) for a related project with a plastic airframe.

Yes, what Fore Check said!
You did mention it was flown at an "Experimental Launch" I presume a HPR sponsered afair like. black rock or LDRS. Where Very Special conditions are allowed, which is why I suggested the disclaimer. I'm a big fan of Odd-Rocs and flying food:D

Just a thought Tim:
Since this rocket is a clear violation of the Model rocket safety code. I'd think you should go back and start your thread with a disclaimer. Explaining to all the young impressionable minds here that builidng ANY kind of Metal airframed rocket is NOT allowed and we just don't do it. I'm all in favor or flying Odd-Rocs but alumimum Beer can, Soda can, whatever cans are a NO NO, it's a safety issue. Don't they make plastic bottled beer containers that could have been used or simulate a can with the real label from a bottle or 6 pack box?
Safety first Tim.

I said it was at an experimental launch. It was NOT at a model rocket launch and it was treated with the same safety concerns as all experimental flights are (or at least all should be). Metal airframes are allowed in experimental rocketry.

I will go back to edit my first post with a disclaimer, but I didn't start the thread, so I can't do anything about the original post from Max_Power.

tim

Yes, what Fore Check said!
You did mention it was flown at an "Experimental Launch" I presume a HPR sponsered afair like. black rock or LDRS. Where Very Special conditions are allowed, which is why I suggested the disclaimer. I'm a big fan of Odd-Rocs and flying food:D

Yes, it was an experimental launch. It was definately a fun flight. As far as safety goes, the thing is not aerodynamic so it flew very slow. Even if everything went wrong, there is no way it would have hurt someone as bad as a well constructed mid power rocket with a hard and sharp plastic nosecone...especially one with lead epoxied into the nose. I don't want to imply that it's ok to break rules and do something like this for model rocketry, but in this case, the "illegal" rocket was a lot safer than most mid and high power NAR legal rockets. :)

tim

Looks like the other portal on the bottom of the beer can is for chute deployment, an interesting solution. I wonder why this type of deployment is not seen more in traditional rockets.? Seems just as valid (for wont of a better word) as the typical "pop the nose cone" approach. Even more so if a baffel system were employed?

Originally posted by Stewart32
Looks like the other portal on the bottom of the beer can is for chute deployment, an interesting solution. I wonder why this type of deployment is not seen more in traditional rockets.? Seems just as valid (for wont of a better word) as the typical "pop the nose cone" approach. Even more so if a baffel system were employed?

I did it that way to try to keep the top of the can unopened. It is a simple solution and works well as long as the chute is snug. I have an old Centuri Buck Rogers model that used similar recovery. The chute was packed in a compartment much looser than the BT-20 in the beer can rocket and I never had a problem with premature chute deployment.

It might not work so well with a light rocket and a hard hitting composite motor. I doubt there would be any problems with Estes motors in any airframe large enough to fit the motor mount and return tube.

tim

is it packed just in front of the chute in the tube or are the gasses cool at this point?

I stuffed a little wadding in before packing the shock cord and chute.

tim

I don't want to imply that it's ok to break rules and do something like this for model rocketry, but in this case, the "illegal" rocket was a lot safer than most mid and high power NAR legal rockets. :)

tim [/B][/QUOTE]

Ouch! that's not a very positive safety statement concerning mid and High power, but I understand the logic;)

Howerver: You've missed the most important concern around metal airframes. If a Cato occurs the potential for spraying shrapnel around the range.
Being one of those bad boys that used to stick M-80's in beer cans, I can attest to the validity of this concern.. I have a couple scares from flying aluminim shards. Also having lost a friend to an exploding Amateur Rocketry "accident" a few year later, I know first hand metal airframes create the potential for deadly incidences. My personal belief is far too many LRM & HPR flyer's do not concern themselves with the "What if's" relative to safety issues when designing their rockets. The no metal structural parts or airframes is a GOOD rule which should be extended into all forms of Model rocketry.

Back